Question about X3 TC GOLD - What game to start with

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

nicky43
x3tc

Question about X3 TC GOLD - What game to start with

Post by nicky43 » Thu, 23. May 13, 17:15

X3 TC Gold comes with Reunion, Terran Conflict, and Abilon Prelude.

I played Reunion for a few years back when it was first released but I haven't played a PC game in the years since. As X3 Reunion was great I thought I'd try TC but I bought the Gold Version.

I myself, love these games primariluy for the trading, mining, and economics and consider the required combat an acceptable annoyance. You just can't find a game these days that is based in outer space and soley on Trading, mining and economics without the need for combat and I accept that.

I know TC has a newer interface and I don't want to go back to Reunion so I'm wondering if I should start with TC or AP? I'd also like to know what AP is all about. Is it a full version of X3 like TC was or is it an expansion?

Should I start with TC and then later on add the AP? If so, how should I load the game so AP does not load up front?

Sorry for these basic questions but just want to make sure I do this right before I insert the disks.

And thanks again to all the experts on this forum who frankly were the only reason I survived as long as I did in Reunion. :)
The only way to make it is to try!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 23. May 13, 17:21

AP is basically a new game built with the Terran Conflict engine--you can't transfer saves to it and it has different plotlines. Since you mention that combat is an "acceptable annoyance" then I'd say TC, because AP has more of a combat focus and therefore might not appeal to you as much.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Thu, 23. May 13, 17:22

I understand that AP doesn't have the older TC plots, so you might want to do one or two play-throughs of TC before moving on to the new content.

nicky43
x3tc

Post by nicky43 » Thu, 23. May 13, 17:25

I appreciate the replies. So I guess I will be able to install TC without loading AP, then at a later date (after a few years) I can install AP?

Thanks again!
The only way to make it is to try!

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 23. May 13, 18:19

I recommend loading Reunion and doing just what you have to do to play through the plot. Don't 'build an empire' and get attached to it on the side or whatever, because the interface is somewhat clunky and frustrating.

Then load TC and start playing. The pleasure of the improved interface will make you very happy, and you will have a feel for the universe and its history from Reunion. Play the plots, build empires, set your own goals and play them out. If you feel like it sometime down the line you can then try AP.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 23. May 13, 18:53

He's already played Reunion, as he stated in his first post.

And as pjknibbs said, TC is probably the best of two later games for focusing on trading and mining.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 23. May 13, 19:00

Nanook wrote:He's already played Reunion, as he stated in his first post.
:oops:
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”