Steam / Albion

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

adlkirk
x3tc

Steam / Albion

Post by adlkirk » Sun, 26. May 13, 00:33

If an answer to my following question is elsewhere, I presume I'll be directed there.

I purchased Albion Prelude through Steam and the game has quit working. It wants to take me to the Steam site every time I try to run it.

Steam has been non-responsive.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Taro8
x3tc

Post by Taro8 » Sun, 26. May 13, 00:58

Reinstall steam and redownload Albion prelude. Recently I also had problem with steam not responding. With the 3.0 update its good idea to get fresh instal of AP as well.

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Sun, 26. May 13, 10:15

also you can download the no steam exe http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3ap/bonus_de.php

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 26. May 13, 12:25

That tip from ADMNtek and using the no steam exe is worth looking into if you haven't already ..

Once you have a running steam version of X3TC and X3AP, go into -

<wherever you installed steam>Steam\Steamapps\Common\

Right click the X3 Terran Conflict\ folder and choose Copy

Now look for somewhere on your Hard Drive/s which has 9gb space free ( plus a bit more space breathing room for modding the game if you intend to )

I have a few Hard drive partitions so chose a none system partition

Right click and choose Paste to copy the whole setup at the new location.

Put the X3AP_n.exe in your new X3 Terran Conflict\ folder ( so its in the same folder as X3AP.exe

Right Click the X3AP_n.exe, and choose 'Send to' - Desktop

You now can run a non steam version of the game from your desktop icon

The advantage to this ( besides not being dependant on steam working / connectivity preventing you playing the games you have bought occasionally ) .. is you can keep your original steam setup vanilla / pristine condition, and mod away to your hearts content the no steam setup .. Any mistakes / not happy = Re-do the above and setup again

After you have it setup this way you can also install the Plugin Manager if you use it and set that up to point / install mods at the No Steam setup.

Also if you use PM - For the not happy scenario - Use PM to un-install mods previously installed with PM first ( so that you go back to a no mods no steam installation ). Then un-install PM. Delete your no steam X3 Terran Conflict\ folder, re-do the copy paste from original steam install, re-do the no steam exe, re-install PM ( at this point PM will still have registry settings for where it looked to install mods previously ( ie your No Steam installation ), so you dont need to go setting up PM to look at the new location again )

Following that routine you will not end up with a confused Plugin Manager as to what is / is not installed in your no steam setup.

But if you just fake patch / manually install files and dont use PM, a re-setup is just a case of delete the no steam setup folder, copy / paste again the X3 Terran Conflict folder to the same no steam location on your HD you had before, put the no steam exe back again .. And the Icon on your desktop you created before should still point at the same exe location you had before so it will still work.

Just one thing to note : Make sure you empty your recycle bin after you delete a no steam setup

9gb of files ( hidden by the recycle bin in case you want to 'restore' them ) times however many times you re-do the above process .. Are going to eat HD space, and also fragment your HD making your HD less optimal in its performance.

Your new no steam X3 Terran Conflict\ folder complete with no steam exe and bonus pack installed to it / or not .. Can also be zipped up as a backup ( 7zip or WinRAR ), ready to extract as required if steam really messes up your original.

Steam can be annoying at times, but at least Egosoft go the extra mile to give options to avoid it after purchase ( as they did with DVD versions previously and providing a No DVD patch to the exe - I still use that for my XTC setup :) )
Have a read of the XNews Edition 50 ( scroll down to 'Open letter regarding Steam and a few announcements' )

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”