X3tc ships and weapons

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chrissy4nicole
x3tc

X3tc ships and weapons

Post by chrissy4nicole » Wed, 29. May 13, 07:45

Just bought this game at weekend just wondering on peoples view as to what fighter ships are good ones to have as your player ship also what combo of weapons do u have on them also what combo would u advise me to put on it if i need a fighter for caping and destroying other ships thanks

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Wed, 29. May 13, 14:03

Argon Nova Raider or Vanguard with EBCs and PRG in the turret.
Mamba Vanguard with PBE and EBC for capping.

For player ship you typically want a fast ship, and if it's got a rear turret that will help with anti-missiles.

You can use this site or this site for ship stats.
You can use this tutorial for weapons and what they do. The stickied index of guides at the top of this forum is also very handy for finding more guides.

Astronoid
x3tc

Post by Astronoid » Wed, 29. May 13, 14:04

I say from my experience, you'll need a very fast or a very well-shielded. You said you just bought the game, so I recommend an M3 fighter instead of an M6 corvette, 'cause at the beginning, you won't be able to buy it. I think the best is the Split Mamba Raider, has bad shielding, but fast and has good weapon generators. Or if shields, one of the M3 sentinels. Relatively slow, but well-shielded. As weapons, I use Phased Repeater Guns for fighting and capping too.
"Kiss my plasma vats"!

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 29. May 13, 16:19

Depending on your start, you'll either have access to an M5, M4, M3, or TS class ship.

If you've got a small M5, then it's probably going to be limited to either IREs or PACs (unless you're playing Terran, which has only one option). The IRE is a light, short-ranged gun that fires beams or bursts fast enough to hit stuff, but doesn't do much damage. The PAC fires slower but longer-ranged and much more destructive bolts, and uses a lot more energy to fire. The fighting style and weapon that best suits it is for you to choose.

The ever-present Discoverer (and its Raider, Vanguard, and Hauler variants) is a decent "all-around" ship for missions, but its inability to mount PACs limits its use in dogfighting. It can carry "M" size cargo, which allows you to install a Triplex scanner and pick up M size missles from space, etc. The Teladi Kestrel is much faster, also carries M size cargo, and can use PACs, but is more expensive and only available at some Teladi shipyards. The Yaki Fujin (difficult to buy for most starts, but frequently "bailed" and claimed by the player) also carries M cargo and uses PACs, but has a pathetic weapon recharge rate; I usually swap out my starting Disco in favor of either a bailed Fujin or a purchased Kestrel for the extra speed, but the Fujin is no improvement in combat because of the restricted weapon energy. Most other M5 ships can't carry M size cargo, and are extremely limited in what you can do with them in one way or another.

If you have an M4 or M3 class ship already, then you're sitting in pretty good shape. The Nova Raider (not the slower Pirate Nova Raider) is a favorite M3 of many starting players because it's reasonably fast (190 m/s), carries decent shields, and has a rear turret to knock down incoming missles, if you have (Fight Mk2?) software. There are several M3 class ships that can beat it in one category, but few can beat it in two, and it's readily available (I occasionally get offers for used ones) and hardly a step down from any other option.

By the time you get the funds for an M6, you're already into the "intermediate" stage of the game.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”