What are some good fighters?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ReignDance

What are some good fighters?

Post by ReignDance » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:19

I'm pretty new to this game. I got it last week, but I'm doing pretty good for myself. I got some good credits rolling in with three super freighters and have already invested in a Nova Raider. I wanted to buy some additional M5s and M3s to support me during fights. Maybe even some M4s if there are any good ones.

In your opinion, what is a good player ship to have and which ships are good to fly with it? What would you have the loadouts be?

Edit: This is for Terran Conflict, by the way.
Last edited by ReignDance on Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:23

Try the Falcon Hauler, slow but 200 mj shield, so sturdy and doesn't crash into you too much! ( Fast ships in ai control = dumbass dead dhip! )
If you can get them, second hand, the Falcon Sentinel has 400 mj shield, so even better. Its quite a cheap ship too!

Ah loadouts, for the falcon, fully armed with PACs, with some armed as missile boats armed with wasps of cyclones. ) 100 fire rate.

Personal ship well that depends. Early game it has to be a TM, Yaki or Argon. Later on I like to get the Shrike in vanilla, under rated but very good. Gaus left and right, with IBL up front if you can get them. :)

Assuming you refer to TC or AP!
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

ReignDance

Post by ReignDance » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:29

Thanks for the reply. Since I'm pretty new, would you mind putting things into clearer words for me? I'm unfamiliar with certain terms in this game.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:30

That Nova Raider you have is a pretty good start for a player M3, if you can stick 4 PBG and 4 HEPT in its nose and set them up in different groups you can use the HEPT at range to soften the shields and then switch to the PBG as you get closer, you will make short work of any M3 and even M6.

If you want a fighter to accompany you I would suggest another Nova Raider as having a ship that can match your speed and that you can match it's speed is helpful.

Pikes are a good M4, decent speed (close to that of Nova Raider), decent shields and PAC in the guns, no turret though.

Although personally, I would be wary of having a fighter wing, they tend to get in the way sometimes and if you lose one due to poor AI it is a costly mistake when you are early game.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:33

Yeh sorry, assuming TC or AP, The Falcons are both M3 fighters, the Shrike is an M7 Frigate; all Teladi. The PAC is in fact the Particle Accelerator Cannon, which is cheap, fast and efficient. The Wasp is a cheap swarm missile, the Cyclone a dearer swarm missile.

Better? :) :wink:

The Tm is a small carrier, usually carrying up to four fighters. The TM is also a cheap tough ship.
Last edited by greypanther on Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

ReignDance

Post by ReignDance » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:34

Yes, much better. Thank you :). I am playing TC.

Edit: Actually, it sounds like a good idea to get a TM now that you mention it. Any suggestions for one of those too?
Last edited by ReignDance on Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:36

As greypanther said, if you can get hold of a falcon Sentinel they are very good also, massive shields for an M3 and can fire PBG and HEPT like the Nova. They are however, very slow, and have a poor laser regen rate and this can make things tough when you need to get out of dodge in a hurry!

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:38

Another good ship to get is the TL class, cheaper than an M7, less shielding, but it allows you to do build missions. The Split Elephant is a good choice, because it is the fastest and can carry quite a lot of fighters, which makes it a small carrier too. :)
The Elephant is about 20 million creds if I remember right, but you will soon earn that back. :roll:

Yes maybe slow, but that is better for the AI imo.
That said, for support, I prefer drones.

Edit: TM best is the OTAS one. Though I like the Yaki one too. :)

ReignDance

Post by ReignDance » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:44

The Zephyrus? It does look pretty good. I think I'll get the Zephyrus and three falcons, then. Thank you very much for the help :).

Darth_Wayner

Post by Darth_Wayner » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:49

You're going to get absolutely everyone's opinion on this, so here's mine...

I've always valued speed over shielding. The best option for handling damage is not to get hit! In a real scenario, this might not save you alone, but in x3 the AI is too stupid to out-dogfight you.

Therefore, in the early game, I capped an M5 harrier, and lived in that until I capped a pirate scorpion. From there i went up to a buzzard and eventually to a Mamba Vanguard, which is where i spent the majority of my early game.

This is before you get enough money to buy anything. Once you get the cash and rep, no m4 can top the solano. Yes it's slower than the scorpion or buzzard, but the 75mj shields make it a good trade up, even for a speed freak like me. IMHO, the best M3 in game is the advanced mamba which you get from the strong arms. If you're in a position where you absolutely need a rear turret, then go with the Nova raider ( buy at omicron lyrae) or better yet the nova prototype from terra corp.

All this said, you absolutely need to own at least 1 M5 kestrel (better still is my pirate kestrel). It's cargo bay is small, so your best plan is to have a Zepyrus to dock it in and jump head with your energy cells, but the pirate kestrel can outrun any ship and missile in game, and has a rear turret just in case one gets lucky. I've completed a number of plot missions (very useful on Treasure Hunt) without firing a shot. Drop into a Xenon sector, nose up 90 degrees and hit the throttle. Nothing comes close.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 22:53

Make sure you get the Falcon HAULER though! it is faster, better shielded, has a turret and carries XL size cargo making it FAR superior to a regular Falcon. :D

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 23:00

Forgot to mention the Hauler's cargo space, it is enough to make a reasonable trader imo. ( High tech goods it is. )

One thing to remember, only use M3 etc in the hands of the AI, if you can afford to lose them! If you cannot, try out the drones, which are cheap and easy to replace. :)

ReignDance

Post by ReignDance » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 23:01

I'll be sure to get the haulers. One last question. What should the loadout of a Zephyrus be?

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 23:05

ReignDance wrote:I'll be sure to get the haulers. One last question. What should the loadout of a Zephyrus be?
I would suggest PAC in main guns and turrets and either wasps or mosquito missiles set to 'missile defence'

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 23:05

With any TM, it is best to have a good supply of missiles I found.
Though again watch the energy drain of the lasers, bigger damage = more energy usage, which the Zeph just does not support for long. Its been so long since I used one, I forget what they are allowed.

ReignDance

Post by ReignDance » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 23:09

PACs and mosquitoes, got it. Again, thanks for all the help. :)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 23:12

If you need heavier damage try the Typhoon missile, one of the best, though expensive.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 23:14

greypanther wrote:If you need heavier damage try the Typhoon missile, one of the best, though expensive.
Don't think the Zephyrus can fire Typhoons!? I might be wrong though...

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 2. Jun 13, 23:17

Well I did mention it was a long time since I used a TM! :P :wink:

I also tended to use the cheap second hand and bailed fighters, cos I am a cheapskate! :D

dr del
x3tc

Post by dr del » Mon, 3. Jun 13, 02:44

I haven't got one in the latest patch after restarting the game bit I was in love with the tenjin the last time round.

I can't remember why though. :oops:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”