X3 Albion Prelude - Requesting a full boarding mod expansion

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Juvante

X3 Albion Prelude - Requesting a full boarding mod expansion

Post by Juvante » Tue, 4. Jun 13, 19:24

I don't know how to script and all that, don't have the time to learn. I'm asking for the community to make a mod that makes all ships boardable if one doesn't currently exist, I for the life of me couldn't find it.

One thing that is really bothering me about the game is that you cannot board transport ships, that doesn't make any sense. I had been given a return stolen ship mission and so I took my phantom out with 6 marines and all the ship extensions I could get.

Easily caught up to the ship with my 180 m/s speed. Then I start wailing on the ship, shields down, and the pilot refuses to leave but just activates the self-destruct and I fail the mission. The game refuses to let you board ships less than very large and dangerous combat ones.

That's the only mission that ended up being a chance based mission rather than a performance one because I needed to wait for them to roll the dice and bail out of the ship, which didn't happen.

That put a sour taste in my mouth and I raged all last night about it while trying to find a mod to fix it. Sadly, I can't find anything. And no, I don't care if the mission gets harder the higher your rank and you get higher class ships that you can board, that's not the point. I want to fix this nonsense for the entire game.

No, I don't want the mod that uses a transporter Startrek style into the ship. I feel that is a bit cheating and too easy. I want boarding to be a very risky and challenging aspect of the game but I just want to be able to board all ships so that having a pilot license and seizing illegal goods + ships is fun and profitable. Not being able to board a really large transport ship with goods, is ridiculous.

Thanks for reading.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Re: X3 Albion Prelude - Requesting a full boarding mod expansion

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 5. Jun 13, 01:48

Juvante wrote:return stolen ship mission ... I start wailing on the ship, shields down, and the pilot refuses to leave but just activates the self-destruct and I fail the mission. The game refuses to let you board ships less than very large and dangerous combat ones. ...

That put a sour taste in my mouth and I raged all last night
I cannot help you with your rage issues (and the ship classes that can be boarded the usual way are hardcoded), but I can help you with the problem of Return Stolen Ship Missions:

Stop, Thief! (Helper for Return Stolen Ship Missions)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3 Albion Prelude - Requesting a full boarding mod expansion

Post by Nanook » Wed, 5. Jun 13, 02:21

Juvante wrote:.... Not being able to board a really large transport ship with goods, is ridiculous...
Relative to other small ships, it may seem really large. But relative to all boardable ships, except perhaps the TM's, those are actually rather small ships, and are generally considered to be manned by a single pilot.

Boardable ships are generally of the type that have a crew of some size. Hence, they need to be boarded, since it would look silly for a bunch of crew to suddenly jump ship in their 'suits. It would also be a bit silly to send a squad of, at a minimum, six marines after a ship with just a single pilot and that has, presumably, just a small, cramped cockpit.

That said, I do agree that the Return Stolen Ship missions should've been made a lot less random for the bailouts. And that's why players generally avoid them until their rank starts giving boardable ships, starting with M6's.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 5. Jun 13, 09:41

if the ships cant be boarded, then they will bail instead
so all ships can be stolen.

The boarding process simply wouldn't make sense on smaller ships, theres no one on board to fight, no decks to fight on, and no room to actually fit in the ship.

how would you expect to get a whole team of marines onto an M5

Juvante

Post by Juvante » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 17:33

I understand that trying to board a fighter craft that's going 400+ m/s would be unrealistic for a marine to attach to and board inside the cockpit.

I just find it tiresome to get stolen ship missions that require me to capture the craft but give me a 10% probability of getting the pilot to bail and if I fail the mission by destroying the craft then I lose massive rep.

When it comes down to it, I'd prefer fun than realism or at least have a mod that adjusts the missions so they are actually possible through effort and not luck or low probability.

Not saying I want it to be easy but I want it to be fun, balanced and "possible" with reasonable probability.

They should have added another mechanic in capturing smaller craft like remote hacking drones or something that would have to home onto the target and could be shot down like missiles.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 17:34

Did you try the link I gave you?

Juvante

Post by Juvante » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 18:09

Yea, I'll check it out and play around with it today. Thanks.

Juvante

Post by Juvante » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 19:52

Tried out the script and it works great, seems pretty balanced as well because they don't just autobail or anything. I really have to dig into them but at least now there's a reasonable chance for them to leave.

One bug I noticed was when I used the hotkey and then fired off a missile, it deselects my target almost every time. Whether or not you fix it, just wanted to let you know. Otherwise, thanks for the script.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 19:59

I am glad you like Stop, Thief!, Juvante. As you say, it helps to balance Return Stolen Ship missions without being a cheat.

when I used the hotkey and then fired off a missile, it deselects my target almost every time.

That is not a bug; it is a feature!

If an incoming missile approaches your targeted ship, then your aim will switch to the missile so that you can shoot it down. If you launched the missile, then just ignore it; your aim will automatically switch back to the target after the missile hits.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”