Ok, this might sound crazy but.....

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Am I too old for playing in boxes?

Yes
10%
No
41%
I play in boxes!
17%
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard...
31%

Total votes: 29

Nickvr628

Ok, this might sound crazy but.....

Post by Nickvr628 » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 21:12

Hey Pilots, I was fooling around with a big cardboard box (Imagination) :lol: and thought, hey, why dont I make a Giant box flight simulator for X3TC? My idea was taking a bunch of old washing machine boxes and put my joystick, laptop and other random spacy stuff in it? I will put a chair in it and play x3 to my hearts desire. My younger sister says I am too old to be playing with cardboard boxes like spongebob, but I just ignore her. :P
Any thoughts? The biggest challenge right now is renforcing the cardboard, I already have the boxes.
Last edited by Nickvr628 on Fri, 7. Jun 13, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons, you don't make lemonade! You make life take the lemons back! GET MAD! I dont wat you goshdarn lemons what am I supposed to do with these!?! Do you know who I am? I demand to see life's manager! I gonna burn his house down! With some lemons... In fact, I'm gonna build some sorta lemon bomb to BURN HIS HOUSE DOWN!
#lemonrant

Patholos
x4

Re: Ok, this might sound crazy but.....

Post by Patholos » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 22:12

Nickvr628 wrote:Hey Pilots, I was fooling around with a big cardboard box (Imagination) :lol: and thought, hey, why dont I make a Giant box flight simulator for X3TC? My idea was taking a bunch of old washing machine boxes and put my joystick, laptop and other random spacy stuff in it? I will put a chair in it and play x3 to my hearts desire. My longer sister says I am too old to be playing wit hcardboard boxes like spongebob, but I just ignore her. :P
Any thoughts? The biggest challenge right now is renforcing the cardboard, I already have the boxes.
If you are under 40 years old, playing with cardboard boxes is socially accepted in many parts of the world. Any older, and it would just be ackward. You should tell your longer sister that cardboard boxes is a male hobby, so she probably doesnt get it anyways.

On the structural integrity of the cardboard boxes, use duct tape.

Run a FEM analysis if you are unsure about the amount of duct tape is sufficient. I use Autocad Inventor when I'm designing my cardboard forts.
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 22:24

Feel free to indulge your artistic whims as long as you post links to some pics of the results. You never know, this thread may end up in the Creative forum! :)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 22:33

This is a stupid poll question. You should be building your X3 simulation chamber out of either particle board or hardboard. Cardboard simply won't hold up to the hundreds of hours of intensive use that this game requires, even with prodigious quantities of duct tape reinforcement.

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 22:34

Cardboard boxes are the best place in the world to let your imagination flow, and never let anyone tell you you shouldn't because you're too old. Apart from playing with your children's toys and then breaking them because that's not good! :D
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 22:37

You certainly wouldn't be the first player to build an X cockpit styled gaming area! :D Check out the creative universe forum, there's at least one there (and most impressive it was too).

Dr2i

Post by Dr2i » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 22:55

Nickvr628 wrote:Hey Pilots, I was fooling around with a big cardboard box (Imagination) :lol: and thought, hey, why dont I make a Giant box flight simulator for X3TC? My idea was taking a bunch of old washing machine boxes and put my joystick, laptop and other random spacy stuff in it? I will put a chair in it and play x3 to my hearts desire. My longer sister says I am too old to be playing wit hcardboard boxes like spongebob, but I just ignore her. :P
Na don't worry, it's perfectly normal for a 12 year old... ow wait... how old did you say you are? :gruebel:

Joking, if I could, I'd do it too.
I'm naturally unfriendly sometimes. Don't take what I say too badly.

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 22:56

<looks down at his humble mouse and keebord, tries not to cry>

I want a joystick :( My old one crashed after the last attempt to capture the Hyperion :(

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 23:50

There was one guy in the Flight Sim forums that went as far as having a real cockpit in his garden, all rigged up with monitors where the normal windows would be, along with all the other levers etc.

Now if I had the room, and the money ,I'd buy an old jet fighter and rig that up as an M3 :D

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 23:58

Honved wrote:This is a stupid poll question. You should be building your X3 simulation chamber out of either particle board or hardboard. Cardboard simply won't hold up to the hundreds of hours of intensive use that this game requires, even with prodigious quantities of duct tape reinforcement.
this is true - you should only play with cardboard if you're a child. As adult men are allowed power tools!

So, down the DIY shop, power tools, chipboard, nails, paint, metal rods too so you can have that cockpit look to it, and build yourself a games shed. That is most definitely a manly thing to do.

PS. you'd be surprised at how cheap ex military fighter jets can be - $132k is for one that flies. Google will help you get scrap ones so you can refit the cockpit with a PC.[/url]

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 00:12

Not bad... UK £84.6 k
Cheaper than many a home

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 00:13

TTD wrote:Not bad... UK £84.6 k
Cheaper than many a home
And oh so much more practical :roll:
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

Fenris321
x4

Post by Fenris321 » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 00:20

I'm 45 ... I want to get a couple extra monitors and set up cockpit. I might even go so far as to put in a small microwave and mini fridge ...... that may be taking it too far. I need more space in my computer room .... that and explaining it to family and friends who just dont get into computer games could feel a bit odd.

So no, I dont think youre too old to be playing in a cardboard box.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 04:35

The X-Universe ships are actually pretty big, with the possible exception of the lighter M5's. So maybe you don't need a box, just make your workroom into an M6 cockpit, with cargo compartment and such.
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Nickvr628

Post by Nickvr628 » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 17:14

Carl Sumner wrote:The X-Universe ships are actually pretty big, with the possible exception of the lighter M5's. So maybe you don't need a box, just make your workroom into an M6 cockpit, with cargo compartment and such.
Holy Moley that is a great idea! I shall make a M1 bridge in the sunroom, hook up a projector system to the windows, and have my Cardboard box M5 (because most of them ARE made of cardboard) sitting in the hanger deck to jump into for scouting!

P.S Could you post a link, Kirlack
When life gives you lemons, you don't make lemonade! You make life take the lemons back! GET MAD! I dont wat you goshdarn lemons what am I supposed to do with these!?! Do you know who I am? I demand to see life's manager! I gonna burn his house down! With some lemons... In fact, I'm gonna build some sorta lemon bomb to BURN HIS HOUSE DOWN!
#lemonrant

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 19:11

Playing X games in a box....Could get a little cramped for my liking, but hey your young so go play in those boxes. :wink:

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 20:44

Nickvr628 wrote:Holy Moley that is a great idea! I shall make a M1 bridge in the sunroom, hook up a projector system to the windows, and have my Cardboard box M5 (because most of them ARE made of cardboard) sitting in the hanger deck to jump into for scouting!
That is a half-truth. Most M5s are made of a combination of cardboard and tin foil. I'm sure you can find materials at home to produce a suitable representation, which should have about the same life expectancy as the ships in-game. Use proper materials and power tools for an appropriate M1/M2 cockpit, or else we will call you "childish" when it falls apart, while ours are still providing years of reliable service.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 22:01

Hmm And I thought I was weird :D I'm building my own Skunk in garage (from X Rebirth).... I got tired waiting on EGO.... Anyone have 500 tons of antimatter so I can power my new jumpdrive :P
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 22:03

Somewhere in Creative forum are plans for making a paper model Buster.
iirc there is also a link to it in my tutorial.
If no-one links it here soon,I will try and hook it out for you.
Just copy the plans and enlarge for you cardboard kit.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”