AP CIG vs ISR on Hyperion

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dis Astranagant
x4

AP CIG vs ISR on Hyperion

Post by Dis Astranagant » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 15:45

Well, the title says it all. Which guns to use on Hyperion? I have been using cigs for a while now, but the ISR also looks appealing because of the ROF.

Energy recharge is not of issue since it's really fast in AP, and my main interest is in using those weapons against capitals since I'm planning on using my Hype for hit and run tactics (it's max speed of 412 reeeealy helps).

I have no problem using cigs on smaller craft since the weapon acts like a shotgun in fps games, but for hit and run tactics it's slow and kills the wiew of the target because of the huge bullet size, hence my interest for ISR......

So, which would you use?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 16:16

For a ship which can cope with the energy drain I always tend to prefer ISR over CIG. Same reasons you're thinking - high ROF. Also has about 15% higher shot speed which means less deflection needed to hit smaller targets. Also never been too sure about the merits of CIG's ability to knock around small ships. In practice I find this sometimes causes subsequent shots to miss. While the impact feature is potentially useful for a defensive turret (since a tumbling ship is unlikely to be able to fire back effectively), it is less so if you just want to kill the target as quickly as possible. Currently flying the Acinonyx loaded with 12 ISRs. Has the same weapon energy capacity & regen as Hyperion & if it can cope with 12 of them then Hyperion should manage fine with 8.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 16:22

I use ISR's in conjunction with PSG's on my Deimos. ISR's shine for longer ranged fights and situations when the PSG's collateral damage is unacceptable.

Sevfor
x3ap

Post by Sevfor » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 16:40

There is a clear answer IMO: CIG.

ISR does a little better against big ships on low distance (when you can't miss the target), however they are inferior against fighters because of the bad hit rate.

shameless creature
x3ap

Post by shameless creature » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 16:58

How about 'neither' and using Plasma Burst Generators instead...?

Kelvhan Amaratharr
x3tc

Post by Kelvhan Amaratharr » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 18:24

I tried them both and I always got the impression the ISR draind more energy, so I mostly use the CIG although I somehow dislike the concussion effect.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 19:10

I've always preferred ISRs, the rate of fire always wins in the long run imho. Especially if you use Tornados in you in/out attacks on capitals.

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 20:14

I prefer ISRs and just carry Wasps to fend off the peskier M5s.

Dis Astranagant
x4

Post by Dis Astranagant » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 21:24

Well, I did test the ISR a bit, and the results are that it definitely changes my play style (tho not too much) but against smaller craft it is essentially the same as cig without the spinning effect.

The change is in that i don't rely on Hyperion front turrets to strip the targets shields and then fire the cig to kill it (really effective against anything smaller than m6) but constantly fire and match the targets speed for better aiming opportunity.

The big guys on the other hand, are going to have to wait a little since i just got the mission to return kraken, deimos, cobra and shrike... :lol:

EDIT:

Add a Thresher to the list above :D

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 23:30

CIG.

Bigger bullets mean higher hit rate, in fact, a lot better from my experience.

It also has better weapon range.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Sun, 16. Jun 13, 23:35

Kelvhan Amaratharr wrote:I tried them both and I always got the impression the ISR draind more energy
That's a fact.
I live in my Vidar.

Maahes
x4

Post by Maahes » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 00:36

I have a mix of 4 ISR and 4 PBG in my Hyperion.

Melts P's in seconds, Q's in a few more.

Hardly ever runs out of energy.

I switch to only ISR just before the killing shot to avoid accidentally blowing up precious cargo...and if some silly passer-by gets in the way.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 02:50

Plasmas are nasty but you have to get in close. I prefer them on a maneuverable M3 so I don't ram the ship I'm shooting at.

ISRs don't have distracting explosions and have a slight weapon-disabling effect, so they're theoretically better against big ships.

CIGs have large bullets and stop fighters from maneuvering around your M6, and so any side turrets can get in some solid hits too because the target is being pushed away (transversal speed = 0).

All in all, though, you don't really take an M6 to kill a bunch of M3's, that's what your own M3 is for. And it's also kind of a pain to switch guns manually. So ISRs it is, for me. With a Nova.R parked with PBG's.

It's an almost academic choice, too; the Hyperion has such a variety of missiles available to it, and huge cargo hold, that you may find yourself fighting gunless.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 04:36

ajax34i wrote:All in all, though, you don't really take an M6 to kill a bunch of M3's, that's what your own M3 is for.
When I fly an M6, I fight and kill ships of any class. The same goes for M2, M3, M1, M7 and anything I fly except transport class .
I live in my Vidar.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 11:57

My Hyperion has a nose full of ISRs. I use it as a missile spewing monstrosity so the main guns hardly ever get fired.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 13:17

I use EBCs, myself--the weapon generator in a Hyperion isn't so amazing that you can rattle away with CIGs or ISRs, IMHO.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 15:14

The ISR drains marginally more energy than a CIG, but the ISR also does marginally more damage per second. Overall, it's a wash. The 100m range difference isn't enough to be a concern, since both outrange the next class of weapon beneath them (HEPT, PAC, PRG, etc.) by almost 50%.

I personally prefer the slightly faster bullet speed and RoF of the ISR over the slightly larger and individually stronger projectiles of the CIG, otherwise the weapons are pretty much identical in their ultimate damage output. The CIG will probably outperform the ISR in OOS combat, due to the slightly higher "per projectile" damage. Performance against smaller ships is a moot point, because neither weapon's rounds are fast enough to reliably hit a dodging and turning M4 or M5, so I switch to a couple of PACs or PRGs (on ships that can use them) for "light work". My current ride is equipped with quad ISRs, which just replaced quad CIGs last evening, and I don't see more than a trivial difference one way of the other; the ISRs chew up 3 less cargo space each, however, which is an issue in my present situation.

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 18:27

It's odd - on paper, the ISR performs slightly better than the CIG.
Tried them both and had the impression the ISR didn't even make half the damage the CIG does. (I know I'm wrong there - yet I felt that way)

Sevfor
x3ap

Post by Sevfor » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 19:21

thatguyfromvienna wrote:It's odd - on paper, the ISR performs slightly better than the CIG.
Tried them both and had the impression the ISR didn't even make half the damage the CIG does. (I know I'm wrong there - yet I felt that way)
Second. My explanation, the chance of miss is much higher with the smaller bullets of ISR. In contrast you have to land only one hit with CIG on a fighter and the concussion effect will make it ready for the kill shot regardless how fast it was before.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Mon, 17. Jun 13, 19:29

I don't know, for me ISR is like trying to write your name in the snow; the stream makes it easy to aim.

CIG, on the other hand, the flashes and noise make me look at space instead of at where I should be aiming.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”