[X - BTF] Disappearing SPP

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Igor in Space
x3ap

[X - BTF] Disappearing SPP

Post by Igor in Space » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 15:44

I had a Solar Power Plant in Seizewell, loaded it up with crystals and then went on a long exploration of the X universe. When I returned I expected to find it to be out of crystals but was looking forward to some nice credits.

However, when I returned, mu Solar Power Plant had disappeared. I am thinking that it got destroyed by a Xenon attack since I have seen Xenon attacking factories in other sectors and helped out when I could.

Nevertheless, Seizewell is home to the Taladi Destroyer Phoenix and I was wondering if was possible for the Xenon to destroy the plant before the Phoenix could intervene? Thoughts?

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 17:45

Check you message log; you should see an entry like "Your Solar power plant has been destroyed by ...".

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Igor in Space
x3ap

Post by Igor in Space » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 18:26

I checked the log but could find no such message. Have just double-checked in case I missed it but I can confirm that no message about the Solar Power Plant is in the log.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 18:39

When building any factory that you'll be away from for a while, you should always hire defense fighters for it. Xenon can and will attack player factories and destroy them if you leave them undefended. Don't depend on local security forces to save them.

As for the lack of a message in your pilot's log, station destruction messages may not be recorded. It's been quite a while since I last played through X-BTF, though, so I can't recall whether those get recorded or not.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Igor in Space
x3ap

Post by Igor in Space » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 18:53

I had a two bats assigned for defence. I can appreciate that it might not be enough.

Thanks for your replies.

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 22:06

Igor in Space wrote:I had a two bats assigned for defence. I can appreciate that it might not be enough.

Thanks for your replies.
Wasn't the Bat the M5 ship? They probably got swatted by the first Xenon L to take an interest in your factory.

Igor in Space
x3ap

Post by Igor in Space » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 23:00

I have not seen any Ls. All I have seen so far is what I would call (at the moment) the standard Xenon attack package - 1 x M3, 2 x M4s, 4 or 5 x M5s.

I can understand why my Bats were not enough to defend against such an attack. It's just I was a bit surprised that with the Taladi Phoenix in the same sector, they could hang around long enough to destroy the plant.

I suppose what I am really asking is how much firepower do you need to destroy a factory?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 00:05

Xenon L is the M3.

And:
Xenon M is the M4,
Xenon N is the M5.

Even a few of these would've made short work of your two little bats, along with your factory.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 00:20

Igor in Space wrote:I suppose what I am really asking is how much firepower do you need to destroy a factory?
A bit further the plot you might find one answer.

Furthermore, firepower of ships OOS is probably quite different from in sector performance. That is very obvious in later games, where you can check the status of other sectors and see a list of your properties.

That Phoenix ... how far does is see and how effectively does it patrol, when you are not present? I saw a lot of traffic between Atreus' Clouds and Priest's Pity, and I think that a lot of it did survive when I was not there, looking at it.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Igor in Space
x3ap

Post by Igor in Space » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 01:27

Thank you so much all of you. I am really enjoying my first taste of the X Universe. I have no idea why I did not manage to find this game years ago. I am having so much fun. :)

And Nanook, thank you for providing a link to the acronym page. I now understand what OOS means! Fantastic site this!

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 04:37

jlehtone wrote:
Igor in Space wrote:I suppose what I am really asking is how much firepower do you need to destroy a factory?
A bit further the plot you might find one answer.

Furthermore, firepower of ships OOS is probably quite different from in sector performance. That is very obvious in later games, where you can check the status of other sectors and see a list of your properties.

That Phoenix ... how far does is see and how effectively does it patrol, when you are not present? I saw a lot of traffic between Atreus' Clouds and Priest's Pity, and I think that a lot of it did survive when I was not there, looking at it.
The Phoenix stays in Seizewell in XBTF, but it likes to stay in its corner near the EQ dock. I spent an inordinate amount of time in Seizewell before I realized you could leave the sector back in the day (I was young and foolish, you see), so I ran into Xenon and Pirates with some frequency. The Phoenix never seemed to be on the way to help.

That reminds me; one thing I miss from XBTF is the way the camera would zoom in on your target ship.. it'd start at the X-Shuttle and then fly over to the other ship. I thought that was cool.

Kal Ryper
x4

Post by Kal Ryper » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 13:28

I'd be interested to know where abouts in the sector you placed your SPP.

I played X-BTF about a year ago and remember also having an SPP in that sector, like you mentioned, because of the carrier support. I did lose my trading ships assigned to the station (to hostiles) but not the station it self.

Kal

Igor in Space
x3ap

Post by Igor in Space » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 18:12

It was placed fairly close to the South gate so it was a short run to Crystal Factory in Greater Profit where I had another Solar Power Plant.

Kal Ryper
x4

Post by Kal Ryper » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 22:14

Igor in Space wrote:It was placed fairly close to the South gate so it was a short run to Crystal Factory in Greater Profit where I had another Solar Power Plant.
It doesn't explain why you didn't get any notification in your message log but I'd say it was a good chance that was why you didn't the support of the carrier, being on the edge of the sector.

My SPP for that sector was more central as I used it to supply a mine as well. It did make the crystal-run longer though and my traders more exposed to attack.

Kal

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 22:16

When you enter a sector (any sector), where do you usually find Xenon? There is a clear pattern.

Know your enemy.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 22:20

Kal Ryper wrote:I'd be interested to know where abouts in the sector you placed your SPP.

I played X-BTF about a year ago and remember also having an SPP in that sector, like you mentioned, because of the carrier support. I did lose my trading ships assigned to the station (to hostiles) but not the station it self.

Kal
Are we talking about the same game here? Are you sure you're not referring to X-Tension? Correct me if my memory is faulty, but you couldn't use freighters to supply crystals to an SPP in X-BTF. That factory was special because you had to manually bring crystals to it.

Igor in Space
x3ap

Post by Igor in Space » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 22:39

Yes, you cannot hire transports for the Solar Power Plant.

Regarding my placement of the SPP, keep in mind that I am new to the X-Universe and at the time I placed it I was not even aware that the Xenon attacked factories.

It was only after seeing such an attack happen on my exploration of other sectors that I decided to go back and check on my factories.

If I do not get a message in the log then I can write it off as a Xenon attack since that seems most reasonable. If I should have got a message then maybe my save file has been corrupted in some way. At the moment I am reluctant to play on in case further anomalies show up later down the road. It might be be better if I restarted.

Does anyone know for sure if I should have got a message about it?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 22:53

I just browsed the log from my Xbtf save. I have a recollection that I had to hire additional ships for my Factories to cover presumed losses, but the log had no entries about such matters, just the plot messages and all the "Entering ...".

Then again, only stations are your property, so their loss could generate a message. My guess is that it doesn't, but that is just my guess.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 22:54

Given that the player wasn't able to manage their assets remotely in any fashion, I'd suspect there was no notification.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”