Mining Operations

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chaotix14

Mining Operations

Post by chaotix14 » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 19:32

While flying through one of many asteroid littered sectors, I felt the need to clean the place up with a mine and trade minerals command for one of my ships. However since I would very much like to not have mining station capable asteroids destroyed, I thought it might be better to ask before losing a few of such asteroids.
So will the mine and trade minerals or the mine minerals command also mine out station capable asteroids?

Also does anyone know if NPC mining stations despawn and what happens to the asteroid they are attached to when they despawn or are destroyed?(if the asteroid dissapears with them when they despawn or get destroyed, that would be annoying)

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 19:38

no, mine and trade works on the debris, all those little rocks. They don;t do anything to the big asteroids. (and sometimes to make m&t work, you have to go in and blow up an asteroid for them to harvest the bits)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 19:41

And if you're playing TC, you probably can't get rid of them that way, since they respawn while you're OOS (Out of Sector), i.e., while your miners are collecting them. The only way to remove them permanently in TC is to mount something like PSG's on a personally flown big ship and start shooting them. It's tedious but effective.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

chaotix14

Post by chaotix14 » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 19:49

gbjbaanb wrote:no, mine and trade works on the debris, all those little rocks. They don;t do anything to the big asteroids. (and sometimes to make m&t work, you have to go in and blow up an asteroid for them to harvest the bits)
Well then at least I can set out a few mining ships to make use of those annoying as hell asteroid fields.
And if you're playing TC, you probably can't get rid of them that way, since they respawn while you're OOS (Out of Sector), i.e., while your miners are collecting them. The only way to remove them permanently in TC is to mount something like PSG's on a personally flown big ship and start shooting them. It's tedious but effective.
Luckily I am playing AP, well actually the OOS respawn is something I might have liked. So much cheaper than a few mining stations, and they don't even require energy cells.

In the end though they have to go, otherwise I can't have a TL flying through the place when I decide to place the mines

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 19:54

You shouldn't have to have the TL fly anywhere. Just jump it in and place the station. The TL can be anywhere in the sector in relation to the station placement.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

chaotix14

Post by chaotix14 » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 20:03

I didn't know you only needed to be in the sector, i thought there was a maximum range or something.

Still I'd like not to have to navigate a minefield of potential shieldwreckers, if I decide I want to dock at any of the stations.

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 20:05

chaotix14 wrote:I didn't know you only needed to be in the sector, i thought there was a maximum range or something.

Still I'd like not to have to navigate a minefield of potential shieldwreckers, if I decide I want to dock at any of the stations.
You could also place your factory then Tractor it to a less dangerous spot.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 20:08

chaotix14 wrote:I didn't know you only needed to be in the sector, i thought there was a maximum range or something.

Your choice, but you might find the amount of time it takes to clear all those rocks isn't really worth it, since you can just tell your big ship to dock while you're OOS and no harm will come to it. :wink:

chaotix14

Post by chaotix14 » Fri, 21. Jun 13, 20:11

bizbag wrote: You could also place your factory then Tractor it to a less dangerous spot.

It's that those stations have really powerfull shields otherwise I'd call you crazy. Tugging a multimillion factory through an asteroid field. Personally though I think I'd rather clean up the place and have more playing room to build in.
nanook wrote:Your choice, but you might find the amount of time it takes to clear all those rocks isn't really worth it, since you can just tell your big ship to dock while you're OOS and no harm will come to it.
That's why I want to start before I make my plans on what to build there exactly.

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Sat, 22. Jun 13, 04:21

I've purchased a cheap station and used it as a wrecking ball more than once when I wished to clear an asteroid field.

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Sat, 22. Jun 13, 05:10

chaotix14 wrote:It's that those stations have really powerfull shields otherwise I'd call you crazy. Tugging a multimillion factory through an asteroid field. Personally though I think I'd rather clean up the place and have more playing room to build in.
Well you don't pull a Han Solo with it or anything. There's usually at least one vector you can drag any given asteroid to completely clear the field. Then you can take the long way around to your intended location.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”