X2 The Threat on Linux?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Helios01
xr

X2 The Threat on Linux?

Post by Helios01 » Tue, 25. Jun 13, 12:16

Sorry if I'm posting in a wrong thread, but I didn't know where else to ask for this. Will there ever be a Linux version of X2 The Threat? X3s are already completed for Linux (I guess, since they appeared in my library), but how about X2? Will you ever get to it? I think it's a game with the most remarkable atmosphere in the whole series. I like to play it a lot this time, waiting for a new PC, but I'm sure I'll also play it on the new one, to which I want to install Linux (Kubuntu probably).

I'm talking about a Steam version ofc
"If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars" - Carl Sagan

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 25. Jun 13, 14:11

Maybe. We're not excluding the possibility but we're also not making any promises. There don't appear to be any technical showstoppers, so it's all a question of priorities.

General.EG
x3tc

Post by General.EG » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 19:34

In fact, would love to get under Linux and the previous games in the series X, that is, X: BtF, X-Tension.
I want to believe... .

Helios01
xr

Post by Helios01 » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 19:57

General.EG wrote:In fact, would love to get under Linux and the previous games in the series X, that is, X: BtF, X-Tension.
Oh yeah, forgot those. They could also fix the resolutions with the port!
"If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars" - Carl Sagan

murielgodoi

Post by murielgodoi » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 00:51

Should be nice have previous X2 games to play on Linux on Steam.

Considering the news about SteamOS and SteamBox, there is no doubt that will bring more Linux gamers to become a X series fan.

Please, do that.

Thanks in advance.

intok
x3tc

Post by intok » Thu, 26. Sep 13, 05:25

I'd also love to see the rest of the X catalog get ported to Linux, X2 already has a port, it's just not on Steam, so theres little reason to not bring it to Steam.

You've already just gotten another 82,000 new players due to your HIB and theres still 15 hours left on it.
Bring the rest of the X series to Steam for Linux!

Helios01
xr

Post by Helios01 » Thu, 26. Sep 13, 17:57

It already is ported? Where? And can I get the Steam version run on it?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 26. Sep 13, 20:08

Linux Game Publishing (LGP) made a port years ago. But it's not available on Steam. Also you cannot transfer keys or the like, but you will have to buy it again.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

jrial

Post by jrial » Sun, 6. Oct 13, 01:18

Yup, I'd love to see X2 (and possibly X) ported to Linux on Steam too. Already own the Windows versions of all X games (several times, including Steam), but I don't use Windows anymore so a Steam port would be very welcome.

I notice the X Rebirth preorder on Steam lists Windows only as well, but I read elsewhere that a Linux version will follow. Is this officially confirmed?

intok
x3tc

Post by intok » Wed, 23. Oct 13, 05:52

X2-Illuminatus wrote:Linux Game Publishing (LGP) made a port years ago. But it's not available on Steam. Also you cannot transfer keys or the like, but you will have to buy it again.
So will the Linux port of X2 ever be brought to Steam? LGP is pretty much defunct and has been for years. Or does nobody remember when they went down for 2 months straight from a dead HDD in their server that wasn't even backed up?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 23. Oct 13, 09:32

If we develop a port of X2 then yes, it will be on Steam, otherwise no.

Mr Tibbs
x3

Post by Mr Tibbs » Thu, 20. Feb 14, 16:10

I would absolutely love to have the back catalogue on Linux. I ditched windows a few years ago and now exclusively use Linux for everything.

And yes I would absolutely pay for them again if you released them on Steam to help cover the port costs.

intok
x3tc

Post by intok » Sun, 13. Apr 14, 02:15

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2800/disc ... 1024621104
If you have bought X2 on Steam you can use the demo executable from LGP to play on Linux.
Some .mp3 and .dat files need to be converted to .ogg to have sound/voices and also you need to copy some libraries from the demo.

So basically you take a Windows installation of the game and use the Linux executable on it (like we did back then with Doom3 etc).

But yeah, is just for the kicks, it doesn’t really answer the OP question...
So what exactly is the hold up?

psynoxious
xr

Post by psynoxious » Wed, 8. Oct 14, 11:55

I still hope in your great work Egosoft ;) You have my support :)

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”