New flag ship M2

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

New flag ship M2

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 04:42

I have a python and am thinking about a pteranadon.
What can I expect from this upgrade in terms of M2 performance?

Most of the time I fly my Tiger and sometimes have my python as a support platform. Sometimes I fly the other way around.
Would you guys recommend I add the pteradonon to the group or sub with the python?

I am interested in your views inS and OOS as well as personal/support ship role.

Cheers

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 10:19

Been flying one recently in an unending quest to rid the universe of Boron & Paranid RRF ships (in the hope their replacements might contain jump beacons). Pteranodon has performed exceptionally well in that task. Not normally a fan of flying anything bigger than an M6 but my experience in the Pteranodon has been tolerable.

It is at least the fastest M2 around (still stuffed a few Pandora crates in mine to get it running at 110m/s). Also really like having PPC compatible main guns instead of a front turret - my trigger finger gets rapidly bored in any other M2. In many respects the ship could be considered as a Split upgrade to the Thresher, though with fewer drawbacks - much narrower profile from the front & you get far more than just a shot or 2 from the main guns (don't think I've ever depleted energy reserves below 90%).

The PALC turrets can only be described as exceptional - both side turrets can fire forwards within a limited arc & they've also proved incredibly good at shooting down missiles. A vital consideration in my situation when a ship's primary targets include numerous RRF M8s & M7Ms (which are both well stocked with missiles & show no hesitation in launching them in huge quantities) - it's comparatively rare for any missile to get close enough to trigger MDM.

EDIT: It also has a 16 ship hanger, if that's an important consideration for you. However I haven't got round to filling it with any ships yet myself, so can't comment on whether there are any issues in that regard.

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 11:37

I still find the Python is a quicker killer than the Pterandadon.

agree about the PALC providing the best missile defence, the beam life seems to destroy barrages - have faced down RRF M7Ms in it and come out laughing

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 13:04

werewolves? wrote:I still find the Python is a quicker killer than the Pterandadon.
That is indeed true. Main guns on the Pteranodon are equivalent to a single turret on a conventional M2 & they can generally bring at least 1 side turret to bear as well on the same target, potentially doubling the number of capital grade guns shooting at the target compared to Pteranodon. However I feel that it's a fair trade off for a couple of reasons which at least partially mitigate the loss in overall anti-capital firepower:
(1) Pteranodon's main guns can be charged without losing control of the ship's manoeuvering thrusters.
(2) It takes almost 20 seconds for a PPC shot to travel to max range. Turrets only start shooting after the target has reached max range. With main guns I can start shooting early so as soon as the target arrives in range there's already a volley of charged PPC shots waiting for it, with several more on their way to the target behind that first volley. During those 20 seconds I find I can generally get off at least 4 volleys of charged shots. This is effectively extra damage inflicted on the target before a turret would even start turning to point at the target, let alone start shooting.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 14:17

If you press F1 (IIRC) you can change your view to the turrets, and fire off those PPCs while the poor AI targeting computer wakes up.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Mon, 1. Jul 13, 04:16

Cheers guys I might buy one this week.

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”