HALP! New Install/Cockpit Mess

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

ufos8mycow
x3ap

HALP! New Install/Cockpit Mess

Post by ufos8mycow » Sun, 30. Jun 13, 21:54

I just purchased the X3 Terran War Pack.

When I went to the Egosoft page it showed DL content on the OFFICIAL page so I decided to DL those too.

I DLed:

1-X³TC All In One Bonus Package (v4.1.01)
2- X³AP All In One Bonus Package (v5.1.0)
3- X³: Albion Prelude 3.0 NoSteam.exe
4- X-Tended Terran Conflict Mod 2.0
5- ImprovedRaces2.0-V1.08-6.5.2012

Everything worked fine and I installed them all in the root directory for the Steam install (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam)

I started a game of AP. When I choose the Humble Merchant start it throws me into my Mercury(?) and I get the flight training mission.

The problem I have is I can't see anything.

[ external image ]

I can exit ship for a spacewalk and my view is fine. I can change views to external and it's fine. It is only when I choose Cockpit View Front or Back that I get the above view screen.

It has to be something I installed from those 'Official' DLs but I can't figure out how to delete the script/Mod to stop this.

If I choose a different start it shows the space/cockpit view as normal and I can fly around just fine. It seems to only affect the Humble Merchant ship.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I am trying to not have to re-DL the entire game. It took me 4+ hours on my slow connection and I am hoping this is an easy fix.

I did the Steam Verify Integrity of Game Cache and that does nothing. I tried deleting selected scripts/addons & their folders and nothing. (I fixed them afterwards when it didn't help)

So please halp! Thanks
Last edited by ufos8mycow on Sun, 30. Jun 13, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 30. Jun 13, 22:24

You really needed to go back and read and understand all their use and installation instructions - they do not all go in the same place at all and are not all compatible.

The first 3 are all Official (although the No-Steam-exe is only if you don't want to run Steam at all with X3AP and so will lose your Steam facilities such as Achievements and automatic game updates).

The last 2 are Community mods that are commended by Egosoft but not signed by them - hence your game will be shown as Modified if you use either of those two and you will lose out on some things such as rankings and Achievements should that worry you. You also need to check that the last 2 are compatible with each other and should note that X-TC 1.2 is not the latest version of X-TC out there and is not for use with X3AP nor the Bonus Packs anyway.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ufos8mycow
x3ap

Post by ufos8mycow » Sun, 30. Jun 13, 22:33

I made a mistake. The X-Tended is 2.0 and not 1.2a

Being that it is a Steam install the instructions are only given for a DVD install I chose the main Steam location instead of the default one. I can let it go through with a normal X-Tended install and see if that helps.

But that seems fruitless as it shouldn't matter since I am starting an AP game and not a TC one.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 1. Jul 13, 00:02

X3: Albion Prelude is an addon to X3: Terran Conflict and as such needs a clean ("unmodified") X3TC installation to work. So you should not install XTC to the same X3TC/AP installation you want to play X3AP with. Create a second installation instead. See How do you set up XTC for steam?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

ufos8mycow
x3ap

Post by ufos8mycow » Mon, 1. Jul 13, 00:52

Well thanks guys for taking the time to explain what I did wrong. Too bad there are no fixes to my problem forthcoming though.

I have just deleted everything and decided to reinstall fresh without anything added.

I must say that so far my impression of Egosoft and the X3 game is pretty low right now. The game itself might be brilliant but addon/script support is horrible.

I've never seen a game that actually lists addons on it's homepage (alluding to official support) that requires multiple installs of the same game just to play them. Why would I ever make two installs of a game that takes up 16 GBs each just to install one total conversion?

And if AP is just an expansion pack for TC and requires it to play why in the world would it be treated as a seperate install in regards to mods/addons? When I install addons for my Sims 3 games with its 12 X-Pacs it is pretty much automated. I don't have to travel round my computer to find 12 different files to install the mods...they are all placed in a common mod file...

That being said what exactly can I install from the Egosoft page?

Can I use the all in one bonus packs without worrying about problems? I don't care one bit about Steam nonsense. I just want to play the game I purchased with as much 'OFFICIAL' content as possible.

Thanks again

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 1. Jul 13, 14:11

Think of this way. X3TC is the base game. You have one official option to improve the X3TC experience and that is the X3TC Bonus Pack. If you want to go modified for X3TC then there is a 3rd Party full mod option in X-TC, but that does not like the Bonus pack so don't install it if you want to install X-TC.

The second Official game is X3AP which needs Steam X3TC to be installed to play as it uses a lot of X3TC files. That has its own official Bonus Pack which goes in the X3AP addon folder. X-TC does not work with X3AP.

You would have to check what the 3rd Party Improved Races needs and works with and where it is installed.

Lastly there is the No-Steam exe for X3AP for use if you wanted to play X3AP without using or running Steam (after initial activation on Steam). It replaces the Stream x3ap.exe in the X3TC folder The downside to using that is that you lose all the automatic updates to X3AP.

That should make it clear why lumping everything in together does not and cannot work.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 1. Jul 13, 14:26

Suggest you slow down and read through a few things first as that will probably help you understand. BONUS doesn't necessarily mean OFFICIAL.

You can just about classify XTC as a full game replacement because it changes so much of the game hence why it's instructions suggest you have a separate install.

Anyway seeing as you have only just purchased the games (X3:TC, X3:AP), install the 2 separate bonus packs (in the correct locations) and play the games. Then when you are ready try out some of the mods (making sure you apply them to the correct game!).

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”