Aldrin big rock

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

willyshop
x3ap

Aldrin big rock

Post by willyshop » Wed, 3. Jul 13, 19:07

Does anybody know the location of the exact center of the Aldrin big rock? I'd like to drop a bunch of satellites in a ring around it, and ideally I'd like them to be well centered and evenly distributed.
I was thinking about writing a program to take the average of all the asteroid positions, but that's an awful lot of work for something so unnecessary.
Station Placement Assistance Script
"Split alive!"
Not anymore, you're not.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 3. Jul 13, 19:13

You should visit the S&M Forum. They should know the 'get position of object' methods.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

willyshop
x3ap

Post by willyshop » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 01:31

Thanks, good call. I ended up doing it for myself in the script editor. For some reason that never occurred to me. Instead of worrying about the big rock I just took the average position of all the asteroids, and then calculated the average distance of all the asteroids from that point.

I got the center at -122396,823,55527 and an average distance of 177428m. Your results will vary; I've build on a few of the rocks so those aren't included in the average.

Now, going back to my vanilla save and putting all those satellites in manually is going to be interesting.

[edit] Yeah, I'm an idiot. I made the assumption that the asteroids in Aldrin are evenly distributed around the center of the big rock. THey aren't. I think I'm just going to make an educated guess, since the rock doesn't seam to be accessible by the scripts.

[another edit] I give up. Even if I place my satellite nicely, collision detection goes into effect as soon as I enter the sector and kicks a bunch of them out of place. Looks like my plans for an Aldrin surveillance network are doomed to failure.
Station Placement Assistance Script
"Split alive!"
Not anymore, you're not.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”