boarding with TP - drones or fighters? (TC)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Thelastreject

boarding with TP - drones or fighters? (TC)

Post by Thelastreject » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 12:41

So, I'm currently training marines to commence my first attempt at boarding. I have a Hermes that I capped that I plan to use for space walking my marines.

I've read a few guides on boarding with TMs and fighters and drones. Which is the better option for keeping shields down; Drones or 3-4 M5s?

I was going to go with drones but the thought of making them individually attack shields, when I can put 3-4 M5s (or M3s) into a wing and make the wing do it easier>???
That and having to collect the drones after the battle. Is it cheaper to cap some pirate M5s and outfit them with a couple of shields and some PACs?
Last edited by Thelastreject on Thu, 4. Jul 13, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 13:28

I think you mean TP and not TM in post and title. Unless you mean both a TM to cart the shield-suppression fighters around and a TP to do the boarding.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Thelastreject

Post by Thelastreject » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 14:19

Thanks! I did mean TP, i have updated the title.

johntarmac
x3tc

Post by johntarmac » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 14:48

You don't need to order individual drones.
There is a command to broadcast to drones in sector or similar wording which will have them all carry out the order.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 15:11

johntarmac wrote:You don't need to order individual drones.
There is a command to broadcast to drones in sector or similar wording which will have them all carry out the order.

Not the "attack shields" command though...

johntarmac
x3tc

Post by johntarmac » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 17:27

heratik wrote: Not the "attack shields" command though...

You're right,, can't believe when I was playing around with them I ordered each drone individually. Musta done tho.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 17:38

It would be too awkward for large numbers to be individually ordering them about like that- I tried it once, but it took way too long. IIRC I was somewhere around drone twenty something when I realized the target was dust :(

I've been known to order 200 or so mk2s to attack a capital ship with "attack my target" and had to use "none" or "follow me to" call them off when the shields were too low.

A mass "attack shields" would have made it easier, but then perhaps Egosoft think it would be too easy if you could do that.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”