Mass Driver?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mass Driver? Worth it?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 61

dcheng7475
x3

Mass Driver?

Post by dcheng7475 » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 11:20

Argonopedia wrote:This weapon is unique in that it is the only type of non-energy based projectile weapon available. It consists of a rapid feed multi barrelled cannon, which is capable of delivering a large number of small projectiles to its target in a short period of time. It inflicts damage not due power of individual projectiles but because of the large numbers of projectiles delivered. Due to the unique nature of this weapon's ammunition it has almost no effect on a ship's shields but instead delivers heavy damage directly to the target's hull. It also causes very little power drain due to the fact that its ammunition supplies all energy requirements. Currently the weapon can only be fitted to Argon and split ships as they are the only ships that can accommodate the ammunition feed system. The true power of this weapon comes from its "ammunition".

Shield damage: 0 units of damage per shot
Hull damage: 12 units of damage per shot
Do you think its really worth 269520 credits per Mass Driver and lets not forget about 1348 credits per clip (200 projectiles)....

gillrichard
x3tc

Post by gillrichard » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 11:29

Don't use them anymore as the shockwave weapons kill Khaak far more rapidly and nothing else can get in my way :)

Not worth 1/4 million
The thing is...there is no thing.

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 11:35

I like the idea, but unfortunately I am too lazy and can't be bothered to buy ammo !!!

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 13:52

Mass drivers are excellent for use on board the Split Scorpion. It's very fast, but not well shielded, so the best way to fight is to swoop in, shoot the enemy a little, then swoop out of range.

This is a useless technique with most weapons, because the enemy's shields are usually recharged by the time you make another run. With a mass driver, the shields aren't a problem - the hull doesn't recharge!

It's possible to take out a capital ship with a Scorpion, if you have enough patience and ammunition.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

High_Pinger
x2

Post by High_Pinger » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 14:15

or you could buy any ship with psg's, the perseus for example and do it in about a tenth of the time. I think mass drivers are good for one thing and one thing only, khaak and missile killing in crowded sectors. Also in large battles involving lots of your ships psg's just get in the way.

Benji Mouse
x2

Post by Benji Mouse » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 14:23

Don't bother with them, I got on just fine with an Ion Disruptor in one bay and Beta HEPT in other (in an Argon Nova) - actually got two Beta HEPT's in that ships (for when friendlies are about)

CeeBod
x3

Post by CeeBod » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 14:24

I've got twin mass drivers in 1 turret on my Dragon - which I set to missile defence. It seems to keep missiles off me, and I think it's dealing with Khaak M5s ok - whilst concentrating on the M3(s) I notice that fairly quickly all those other red dots disappear! - I'm still not sure if it's really worth the money though - I'm going to have to buy more guns, and play with more weapons combos to see what works best.

dSerk
x2

mass driver

Post by dSerk » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 14:57

How does the mass driver's projectile speed compare to PAC/HEPT/PPCs? And the rate of fire? Can one clip last you through, say, a raid on a pirate base?
dSerk - Shipping Magnate, Combat Ace 2nd Grade ...and running out of targets - "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

SetiRobert
x2

Post by SetiRobert » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 15:00

Speed is good
very fast firing rate :D

no range though :(
and underpowered IMO :twisted:

CGrand
x2

Post by CGrand » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 18:29

Don't fit them to captial ships

Me think, hum mass drivers hull damage i'll try destroying zenon witht them

i took the split destroyer gave all turrents mass drivers half the hold of ammo and full sheilds

Result - zenon ship hull 75% me blow to smitheriins, the range is a majour problem with these things, ok on smaller ships, but you just can't get that close with destroyer especially given the scary speed the zenon can turn at!
CGrand
Novas caught - 141
Rank - NST Squad Leader

AMG - Mission Expert &
Premier AMG Client

Commander of the Royal Mining Company

I’m writing all the right letters just not, necessarily in the right order – Morcam & wise

PegasusJF31
x2

Post by PegasusJF31 » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 20:11

Well, damage can be modded.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 21:02

I use mass drivers in my Nova for Khaak cluster busting. I kill the M3 with Ions and BHEPTs and then switch to dual MDs to kill the M5s. Anything else is too tedious and slow trying to shoot a 400+m/s Khaak M5.

Of course, I'm normally in my Dragon, but when I go pirate-hunting in my Nova and get a distress call, I can jump in with my Nova quicker than retrieving my Dragon. As a former Boy Scout, I always come prepared. :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 22:18

MD's do hold a certain sentimental value for us old fogeys who still remember Wing Commander 1 and the lumbering Scimitar!

They also made an appearance in B5 albeit as "planet pounders".

Soon as I get my M3, it's getting a Mass Driver...

KnightLight
x2

Post by KnightLight » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 22:37

In my opinion, nothing works better on the rear turret of a Nova than a Mass Driver. Great missile defense.

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 23:01

This has been hashed many times. The strength of the mass driver is that it's very fast (hence accurate), and does damage which cannot be recharged (hence is usable against any ship no matter how much shielding it has). If you don't need accuracy, or have uber-guns, then don't bother with the mass driver. Another use is that it does very litte but very precise damage, so t's useful for capturing.

dcheng7475
x3

Post by dcheng7475 » Sun, 14. Mar 04, 08:30

Shouldnt they increase the damage per shot to at least 15~20. Because whats one of the worth things can happen to polits while flying a spacecraft....

Answer: You get holes all over your ship, air start to leak,and you cant repair them.

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Sun, 14. Mar 04, 08:55

15 is the sane maximum. 20 damage per shot would mean 400 hull damage per second, far too high given the weapoon's accuracy and permanence.

Goumindong
x3

Post by Goumindong » Sun, 14. Mar 04, 09:51

BigVern wrote:MD's do hold a certain sentimental value for us old fogeys who still remember Wing Commander 1 and the lumbering Scimitar!

They also made an appearance in B5 albeit as "planet pounders".

Soon as I get my M3, it's getting a Mass Driver...
That thing rocked the house.

I had it on an old 286. Too slow without turbo mode on, too fast with turbo mode on. toughest flight sim ive ever played(so darn fast)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”