PAC Energy Issues

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

johnfrancisv
x3ap

PAC Energy Issues

Post by johnfrancisv » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 21:32

Hello! I'm very new to the X universe (and space sims in general) but after a few tutorials I'm catching on quickly. There's one issue that I haven't quite been able to crack yet, however. I'm in Argon space and managed to acquire a Buster Raider pretty cheap. One of the first major upgrades I put on it was to the guns; the wiki said that Particle Accelerator Cannons give you good bang for relatively little buck. The problem is that whenever I go to fire I run out of energy almost immediately. I never thought I would say this, but I'm almost missing impulse ray emitters as my primary guns.

So, what's the solution? First off, is there any way to upgrade the reactor in my ship, or some similar solution? Otherwise, is my best bet to just buy more guns and put them in the other gun bays of my ship? It looks like the Buster Raider has four gun bays with six guns each, though I may be misinterpreting the HUD. Should I just stagger my shots in a three round burst kind of style?

Even better, does anyone have their preferred loadout for a Buster? I've heard that it is a pretty standard/reliable entry level interceptor, so I assume there's a lot of data already out there on it. I just assumed that ammo would be the least of my worries... aim is already kind of the primary issue ;-)

Anyway, help would be appreciated! I'm also open to selling the Buster and grabbing another ship if you guys think it's crap. Money isn't an issue, I've been picking up Mercuries when I see them for a bargain and just have them remote trading in the background.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 21:35

Which X game?

In X3AP all the Argon Buster variants have pretty much the same laser capability except for the Buster Vanguard which has better weapon energy and shields at the expense of being slower. You don't have to fire all 6 weapons slots at once you know.

With the Buster you can load Mass Drivers - short range ammo-based guns that damage hulls directly and bypass shields yet use little energy. You can even mix your weapon load-out, ideally in separate weapon groups.

For much better Argon M4 laser power, look at the Elite M4+ and its variants - if you can find any cheap.

EDIT: I was adding as you replied X3TC, should be similar but not 100% sure on that.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Mon, 8. Jul 13, 21:48, edited 3 times in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

johnfrancisv
x3ap

Post by johnfrancisv » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 21:40

X3TC

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 21:50

IMO, the Solano is pretty much straightforward THE M4 in the game.
Best laser generator, OK speed, M3 like shields.

darth_adversor

Post by darth_adversor » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 21:50

I've never owned a Buster, so I can't say for sure, though I am a little surprised as the PAC has a good reputation for being fairly energy efficient.

You might try Mass Drivers instead. They're ammo-based, and have the unique ability to ignore shields and damage the hull straight away. Have you checked out the X3 Wiki? Tons of great information.

I started as a Terran Defender, and therefore had a really good M4 early on. My next upgrade was to the Nova Raider, an M3 class ship that is very well rounded. If you have a spare 1.6 million (plus extra for equipment), I'd consider picking one up. I put PRG's on mine and it was a great dogfighter.

Edit: Whoops...yes you have seen the wiki.
The Pirates government wishes to thank you for your outstanding efforts against crime. :?

Core i5-2500k @ 4.5 . Radeon 6950 2GB . 8GB DDR3-1600 . 52" HDTV :D

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 22:02

The Buster should be able to fire a pair of PACs in regular bursts, or else a battery of 6 IREs continuously. The PACs have far better range and power, but fire a slower projectile. My suggestion would be 2xPAC as mains, and 4xIRE for hitting faster M5s, in separate firing groups. Switch as needed.

A Nova should be able to run 2xPAC constantly, or use twin PRGs (with projectiles even faster than the IRE) like the Buster uses twin PACs: in bursts. My Nova Raider is armed with 4xPRG and 4xHEPT, but Firing Group 1 is only 2xPRG, 2 is 4xPRG (and runs out of energy fast), and Group 3 is the 4xHEPT (firing snail's pace projectiles) for making quick passes at M6 and bigger or slower targets.

johnfrancisv
x3ap

Post by johnfrancisv » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 22:09

Ah, thanks very much. I suppose my primary problem was the fact that I was using six PACs at the same time!

darth_adversor

Post by darth_adversor » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 22:13

I had my Nova Raider loaded up with 8 PRG's. Short bursts for M4's/5's, and although it runs out of energy very quickly with all 8 firing, if there's a ship you need to take down quickly (say, a pirate M3 with PBG's), it would do the trick.

Just don't miss. :wink:
The Pirates government wishes to thank you for your outstanding efforts against crime. :?

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 22:15

No fighter's laser battery can stand well if you just hold the button down forever. You're going to have to time your shots and shoot as accurately as possible.

It's why I prefer the Phased Repeater to the PAC. It's more expensive both in terms of money and in terms of laser generation but it does tend to fire more accurately due to the faster bullet.

I stay away from all M5's and all M4's except the Solano when it comes to a personal fighter though. I don't trust ships with that little shielding to keep me alive, is what it boils down to.
OTAS -- it's like 42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything

samoja

Post by samoja » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 22:41

I often fly different fighters, unlike most members of this forum i like to jump in M3, M4 or even M5 for a challenge every once in awhile. Well i must say that weapon energy will be your problem throughout your game, especially if you try to take on anything bigger then yourself, in time you will learn to dodge, strafe and speed tunings and rudder optimization will help you to dodge return fire effectively, in the mean time, fight command software mk1 allows you to auto target, and even unupgraded ships have semi, just shoot little cross when your cursor turns read, now again if you are not good enough to hit things despite all this i also suggest you take only twin PAC, but make sure they are twin(one on each side in the same place) i suggest the two slots in the middle as it is easiest to hit your target with them. With only two PAC you will be able to put less fire on your target atm but you will be able to sustain rather continuous fire and misses will not be so catastrophic, i do not suggest you take Mass drivers tough, they have a seriously short range, and with your level of skill you could easy kamikaze in your opponent which, if you do not have more overall shields and hull then him, or are engaging multiple opponents can be your undoing.
Last edited by samoja on Mon, 8. Jul 13, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Mon, 8. Jul 13, 22:43

johnfrancisv wrote:Ah, thanks very much. I suppose my primary problem was the fact that I was using six PACs at the same time!
Yeah most ships give you a lot more weapon slots than you can realistically fill with the best guns the ship can use.

The game sort of intends for you to have different weapons in the slots, because you will need them for different targets.

samoja

Post by samoja » Tue, 9. Jul 13, 20:56

Honved wrote:
samoja wrote:I often fly different fighters, unlike most members of this forum i like to jump in M3, M4 or even M5 for a challenge every once in awhile.
I think you mean "LIKE most members of this forum". I mainly fly an M3, generally either a Nova Raider or a Perseus Raider, for most of the game, even when I've got an M2 or M7 and an M7M in my fleet (any of which I occasionally fly briefly for a bit of capital ship action). I also switch into an M5 for certain missions or for exploring new sectors on a fairly frequent basis. I'd hate to play a game where I'm limited to one ship, so the news about "Rebirth" isn't looking good.
Well, my former posts gave me impression that once people came up with M6 they generally never look back, and M4 is seriously under appreciated class altogether.

Astronoid
x3tc

Post by Astronoid » Tue, 9. Jul 13, 23:31

I'd flied a Buster once, it had 6 IREs, and ran out of energyin 10 seconds. I really hate it. It has bad weapon capacitors and I think it's the ugliest ship in the game. :shock:
"Kiss my plasma vats"!

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 10. Jul 13, 22:42

Astronoid wrote:.......
I think your sig's quote is supposed to be "Kiss my Plasma Vents", but it's a bit slurred, coming from a Pirate who may well be indulging in a little Space Fuel or Spaceweed on the side.

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Thu, 11. Jul 13, 00:26

Yeah. Even an M6 cannot fire all guns at once without serious energy drain. Nice thing about the M4 in gereral ist they indirectly teach you how to manage your energy. The buster is a nice ship. Some how in Reunion. I remember it being a better ship then it is in TC.

And to answer one of your other questions. 3 round bursts is generally a good idea for most targets. The only ones you can most likely lead hose are stations and slow large capital ships or anything that does not have a way to fire back.
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Thu, 11. Jul 13, 05:47

Aragosnat wrote:Yeah. Even an M6 cannot fire all guns at once without serious energy drain. Nice thing about the M4 in gereral ist they indirectly teach you how to manage your energy. The buster is a nice ship. Some how in Reunion. I remember it being a better ship then it is in TC.

And to answer one of your other questions. 3 round bursts is generally a good idea for most targets. The only ones you can most likely lead hose are stations and slow large capital ships or anything that does not have a way to fire back.
I'm personally not at all impressed with the Buster. For its low shielding and weak weapons, it's a ship that NEEDS to be faster than it is. The Buster is the slowest basic M4 in the game, and the Elite is the slowest M4+. The Nova Raider is faster than the Vanilla Buster. I know the buster Raider is faster again, but if you have to get a variant in order to actually get a ship that does the job of an M4, you're better off looking elsewhere.

If you're looking for an Argon M4, and you're not looking for a Solano, you're looking for the wrong ship.

Berserkenstein
x3tc

Post by Berserkenstein » Thu, 11. Jul 13, 09:48

Imgran wrote: I'm personally not at all impressed with the Buster. For its low shielding and weak weapons, it's a ship that NEEDS to be faster than it is. The Buster is the slowest basic M4 in the game, and the Elite is the slowest M4+. The Nova Raider is faster than the Vanilla Buster. I know the buster Raider is faster again, but if you have to get a variant in order to actually get a ship that does the job of an M4, you're better off looking elsewhere.

If you're looking for an Argon M4, and you're not looking for a Solano, you're looking for the wrong ship.
The buster can use mass drivers which solves the poor m4 weapon reactor problem at the cost of cargo space.

The actual slowest m4 is the buzzard, which is also the worst m4.

The solano is really imbalanced as an M4. It should really only have 50 mj of shielding at the most, or double the price, and probably both. The stock m3s that have more than 200 m/s speed only have 50 mj shielding at the most and cost at least 4 to 5 times as much as a solano.

The best combat m4s imho are the elite, which is basically a slightly scaled down m3, the pike outfitted with 2 PRGs and 4 EBCs and the asp or scorpion with 1-2 PBEs and the rest mass drivers.
I'll see you on the other side!

darth_adversor

Post by darth_adversor » Thu, 11. Jul 13, 09:55

I hesitate to post this, lest a mod split the thread and admonish me again for not being on-topic. Hey it's cool...I realize video game forums are serious business...but what the hell, you only live once:

I sorta find the M4/M4+ classes (with the exception of the Solano and *maybe* the Sabre because it is so inexpensive) to be a bit of a waste. M3's typically aren't that much more expensive, and they beat the pants off their smaller counterparts. The Nova Raider, for example, is a bargain, considering it costs about the same as the Elite, but is notably better.

Now that I think about it, the Sabre makes up for it with its expensive EMPC's, so scratch that. I started off in one because of my game start. Had I chosen Humble Merchant, I probably would've skipped M4 and went straight to M3.

Edit: Well that's not right. I was looking at the prices on the Wiki. Sometimes it uses the L price, sometimes the S price. I'm glad I double checked in the game. I still stand behind my main point though. Next time through, I'm skipping the M4 class.

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Thu, 11. Jul 13, 10:13

They're gotten less relevant with later instalments in the series, in earlier games the price difference was significant and making money was harder.

Off the top of my head, in X2 a Discoverer costs about 36k, a Buster is about 120k and a Nova is about 850k.

That said, some of the M4s can equip FBLs which gives them a bit more punch than a PAC or IRE-wielding M5.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Thu, 11. Jul 13, 14:44

Berserkenstein wrote:
Imgran wrote: I'm personally not at all impressed with the Buster. For its low shielding and weak weapons, it's a ship that NEEDS to be faster than it is. The Buster is the slowest basic M4 in the game, and the Elite is the slowest M4+. The Nova Raider is faster than the Vanilla Buster. I know the buster Raider is faster again, but if you have to get a variant in order to actually get a ship that does the job of an M4, you're better off looking elsewhere.

The buster can use mass drivers which solves the poor m4 weapon reactor problem at the cost of cargo space.

... of which the Buster is not particularly well endowed.

Besides, so can the Split Asp, and it can actually move. Heck the Asp can even equip the Pulsed Beam Emitter, which combined with MD's makes it extremely effective.

Mass drivers aren't a bad idea, but if I'm flying a ship designed for speed, I want to use what little cargo space I have left after the main guns to stock Wasp missiles, which really extend the offensive power and survivability of a fighter. I don't want to have to have my Wasps competing for space in my very small hold with MDA.
The actual slowest m4 is the buzzard, which is also the worst m4.
True, but by the same token, the Buster is the second slowest, and second worst.
The solano is really imbalanced as an M4. It should really only have 50 mj of shielding at the most, or double the price, and probably both. The stock m3s that have more than 200 m/s speed only have 50 mj shielding at the most and cost at least 4 to 5 times as much as a solano.
I'm not going to get into that argument. The Solano is what it is, it makes up for its superior shielding by being VERY squishy and having a small hold even for an M4.
The best combat m4s imho are the elite, which is basically a slightly scaled down m3, the pike outfitted with 2 PRGs and 4 EBCs and the asp or scorpion with 1-2 PBEs and the rest mass drivers.
*coughTonbocough*

The Elite is not in the running. If you're going to be as lightly armed and lightly shielded as an M4 you need to be faster than the Elite.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”