captured Xenon PX with no loses

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mallard
x4

captured Xenon PX with no loses

Post by mallard » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 08:04

Hey Everyone

I keep hearing how hard it is to cap Xenon capital ships and your guaranteed loses.

So is the fact that I capped a Xenon PX in AP with no loses unusual? I used 9 5* marines with 100 in everything. This was on my first attempt as well with 9 marines

willyshop
x3ap

Post by willyshop » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 08:48

Nicely done. You have more balls than me.
I've barely attempted boarding xenon ships yet due to the reputation they have on these forums.
I did try boarding a PX once, and it only confirmed my suspicions.
Currently I'm training upwards of 40 marines with the hopes of capping an I; most are up to 5* in everything but fighting (I had to make friends with my only commonwealth enemy so I could buy their factories,which means boarding targets are few and far between)

Certainly having all your marines 5* in everything helped. If you want to see ho hard it really is, try doing that a few more times. (then get back to us!!!)
Station Placement Assistance Script
"Split alive!"
Not anymore, you're not.

Lunif

Post by Lunif » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 09:17

I Boarded a P once. The marines I lost were lost because it was my first boarding job with less than 21 marines total. So about a third of them were lost because they could not get in and got shot. Then after that, each boarding attempt on a Xenon ship was a complete failure. Shortly afterwords, I got too tired of boarding to continue. I found the whole process annoying. However, for some idiotic reason I continued training marines.

Willyshop, board pirate ships. You can find plenty of their capitals in the sectors south of Merchant Haven. Also if you are not friends with the Yaki, their TLs make great boarding targets. There is also the Dukes M6s and M1 that is south of Heaven's Assertion that you can get.
"Maybe somebody should've labeled the future 'some assembly required'" -Michael Garibaldi

willyshop
x3ap

Post by willyshop » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 10:03

Lunif wrote:board pirate ships. You can find plenty of their capitals in the sectors south of Merchant Haven. Also if you are not friends with the Yaki, their TLs make great boarding targets. There is also the Dukes M6s and M1 that is south of Heaven's Assertion that you can get.
I wouldn't dare board my closest allies!!! My point was that xenon ships are far more difficult to board than commonwealth or even Terran ships.
Station Placement Assistance Script
"Split alive!"
Not anymore, you're not.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 11:29

It's not unheard of capping a PX without casualties. The Ps are far easier than boarding Q, J and Ks. You would still need a round 30-40 marines to cap Xenon capitals. Saying that I believe someone did successfully board a Q with 20 marines, although it would probably need many reloads.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 12:11

Was that 20 guys thing in TC?

The reason I asked is that AP was altered so that the save/reload per deck strategy doesn't work. The random numbers are set at the start of the board.

You *could* reload prior to launching the pods but it would be somewhat painful I think.

Anyway congrats to the OP on the PX :thumb_up:

Maahes
x4

Post by Maahes » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 12:54

I think the random events are set as the marines enter the ship (or attach to the hull) so you can save at that point. It's a little bit less painful than before launching because at least they've made it through the flak.

I usually save just as I hear "We've reached target ship" and reloads do give me different results, but for Qs, Js, Ks and Is reinforcements are a must. The best I've been able to achieve was 4 losses on an I, usually its 6 or 7.

randomuser
x4

Post by randomuser » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 13:49

the result is determined once they break through the hull, so save when you hear "just a little more" save,
then activate SETA
have fun reloading

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 17:11

PX is an M6, right?

So, considering that the normal requirements for capturing an M6 are 8 marines with skill level 17, I'd say your 9 marines with skill 100 would pretty much guarantee no losses, no?

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 17:21

It's a Xenon M6, not a regular one. Xenon are 'special'

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 17:53

Not that special.

Scott C.
x4

Post by Scott C. » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 18:07

Simpleton enough to come off the production line like hotcakes.

Nice catch, OP.... and make no mistake, your meatbags will suffer deaths by toaster soon as you go for one of the big boys.
Cheers,
Scott

bizbag
x3tc

Post by bizbag » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 18:48

The PX is a surprisingly good ship, considering Xenon tend to be subpar in their class. Solid if average M6+ speed, good shields, great weapon choice (EMPCs are efficient, ISRs for alpha strikes...) and best cargo in class (short of the it's-a-class-of-its-own-Hyperion/SB)

Honestly, the Springblossom and Hyperion could almost be considered M7-. The other M6 and M6+ ships are fairly consistent in power balance considering their armament, speed and cargo.. Then there's those two ships.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 21:35

brucewarren wrote:Was that 20 guys thing in TC?

The reason I asked is that AP was altered so that the save/reload per deck strategy doesn't work. The random numbers are set at the start of the board.
True, but reloading after hitting first deck for me is cheating in any case. :wink:

randomuser
x4

Post by randomuser » Fri, 12. Jul 13, 22:38

well its still hard enough to make 9 100 100 100 100 marines die before they reach deck 3
1 reload later i had it with 1 marine lost....

Scott C.
x4

Post by Scott C. » Sat, 13. Jul 13, 00:46

My first Xenon board was a first try 2 loss snatching of a PX. I carried on straight into a Q with a head full of steam, and pods full of maxed marines. The first deck ate all 20.... I really don't like to think about what a loss of that magnitude represents in time, energy, and credits.

Tread more carefully than my foolhardy super soldiers did.
Cheers,
Scott

RayF

Post by RayF » Sat, 13. Jul 13, 15:30

very nice indeed :)
but i do have to ask: did you use pods or spacewalking??

I have boarded (in TC) 6 xenon Ps so far and even with reloads (dont think too many reloads..around 5-7..too lazy to keep reloading...)i think the best i could do was 1 casualty. My last xenon captures were by 5 star marines even in fighting...
So if u used spacewalking well done man!!!!

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Sat, 13. Jul 13, 17:27

Yes. Getting that PX with no marine loss could be considered divine intervention. Also for the change in boarding for AP. It was either be for they are fired / dropped (most likely) Or before they start cutting the hull that it becomes fixed for death loss rate. Safer just to save before attempting.
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

randomuser
x4

Post by randomuser » Sat, 13. Jul 13, 18:32

its once they finish cutting the hull

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”