[REQUEST] Oculus Rift Compatible HUD

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Mystic5hadow
x4

[REQUEST] Oculus Rift Compatible HUD

Post by Mystic5hadow » Sat, 20. Jul 13, 15:29

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you own a Rift, but if you do and you didn't know, you can get it working with X3AP pretty easily with a little adjustment and a few simple programs (Facetracknoir and Vierio) but there is a small issue with the HUD/UI. It's too far to the edges of the screen to be seen with the Oculus Rift.

Is there a way to squish the parts of the HUD/UI closer to the center of the screen? If anyone can manage this or knows of a way, I'd be really happy. The game is incredibly immersive with the the Rift on, flying by ships and between stations in a little M3 (especially with a cockpit mod), having to take it off to use the UI breaks that immersion.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 20. Jul 13, 15:32

There is no mod-able means of moving UI components. The best that could ever be done is to capture and re-render the components using a DirectX hook, or other hooking method depending on OS - however that is allot of work.

Have you tried using a cockpit mod? These have hud components on the mesh that may be in a better place for the Rift. However they are far from extensive.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Mystic5hadow
x4

Post by Mystic5hadow » Sat, 20. Jul 13, 15:54

Damn. That's disappointing. I do have a cockpit mod, but the main issue is using other parts of the interface, like seeing the menu in the bottom left and the little icons for ships that are out of sight around the border of the screen. Though I guess my only option is to continually swap between Rift and Monitor whenever it's required :(

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 20. Jul 13, 22:07

Mystic5hadow wrote:Damn. That's disappointing. I do have a cockpit mod, but the main issue is using other parts of the interface, like seeing the menu in the bottom left and the little icons for ships that are out of sight around the border of the screen. Though I guess my only option is to continually swap between Rift and Monitor whenever it's required :(
Is there perhaps a way you could trick the Rift into temporarily moving the center-of-screen point so that you could see the menus when you hold down a button or something? im just taking a wild shot here i don't have one myself.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Mystic5hadow
x4

Post by Mystic5hadow » Sun, 21. Jul 13, 00:59

Not that I know of, unfortunately.

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Sun, 21. Jul 13, 19:51

It would have to be implemented by Egosoft I believe.
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”