Tractor Beam will not fire?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DaleChaplin
x3tc

Tractor Beam will not fire?

Post by DaleChaplin » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 22:21

Hi all, Sorry if this is me being stupid but I cannot get my tractor beam to fire (at all).

I have just bought the TB and when I entered the rear turret, I removed the other lasers and installed the TB. To my amazement, I cannot get the thing to fire. I have tried everything I can think of including assigning and using different groups and installing on the front turret but all to no avail!

I have used TB's before on previous saves (and different ships) but it says it is compatible with the Magnetar, it will install onto the turrets but nothing else works. There is no green or red laser beam, no problem with locking on yet as I can't even fire, and I have tried being as close as I can to my mine I am trying to move. The turrets move freely and fire normal lasers with my mouse and Ctrl so I am a little stumped.

Any ideas on what is stopping the TB from firing?

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 22:30

Lack of laser energy.

iirc, the Magnetar doesn't have enough (nor do most ships smaller than M6, even though they can mount one).

http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_ ... &version=9

DaleChaplin
x3tc

Post by DaleChaplin » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 00:47

Ah, right. I did look at the laser energy but the TB only takes 2k per second? Therfore I would have still expected it to fire (even if only untll ships energy is depleted). I managed to get my Vidar to do it straight away. Thanks for the reply.

{Moved to appropriate forum. - Nanook}

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 01:51

The only ship smaller than an M6 corvette that can actually fire the TB is the Caiman Miner, and even that one can only manage it for about a second. Using an M6 is both easier and faster.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 05:49

Besides, an M6 is a useful ship to have. I'm quite fond of the Centaur actually, it's not the greatest warship in the history of the world but it's very well balanced.
OTAS -- it's like 42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything

RayF

Post by RayF » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 09:33

I didnt have any problem with my caiman miner when i needed to move a mine..just make sure you get very close.

after you start boarding, centaurs and other m6 will be easy to cap,so you can use those ones with the TB.

Jannik2099
x3ap

Post by Jannik2099 » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 07:30

I dont know if it is a bug but i only have to fire the tractor beam once and then i have to dock to stop the tractor beam (i am playing ap and using the cockpit mod)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 08:04

Jannik2099 wrote:I dont know if it is a bug but i only have to fire the tractor beam once and then i have to dock to stop the tractor beam (i am playing ap and using the cockpit mod)
The beam continuing to fire after locking on is expected--you'd have difficulty towing anything if you had to keep firing the beam continuously. Turning away from any target and firing into deep space should break the beam lock without having to dock anywhere.

DaleChaplin
x3tc

Post by DaleChaplin » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 12:13

Seems a bit strange to allow the TB to be fitted to a ship which can't actually fire it though, especially considering that when you buy a incompatible laser it tells you "this is not compatible with your ship".

Thanks for all your advice though guys. Much appreciated!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 12:24

It's a historical feature.

It shares a weapon slot with repair laser (only exists in space suit) and mobile mining laser, which those small ships can fire. It frees up a slot for more gun types.

brattbags01
x3tc

Post by brattbags01 » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 15:06

if you have more than 1 TB fitted into the turret it won't work !
X3 TC
Trade: Tycoon
Fight: X-Treme

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”