Blow up ships by slamming stations into them with your tractor beam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

IConquer
x3ap

Blow up ships by slamming stations into them with your tractor beam

Post by IConquer » Fri, 26. Jul 13, 08:10

Plausible?

Highly entertaining?
Game played: X3:AP unless otherwise specified

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Fri, 26. Jul 13, 08:19

And rather damaging to your rep when you do it accidentally and the whole sector attacks you :P.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. Jul 13, 08:21

Certainly plausible, although aiming the thing might be a little tricky! As Carlo points out, though, don't do it just on the assumption you won't suffer any rep loss for doing it that way, because the game is a little bit cleverer than that. (Station bombing, e.g. building a station in the same space as the ship occupies, is or was a more viable tactic--don't know if it still works, though, because I never do it).

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Fri, 26. Jul 13, 09:06

Station bombing works in at least up to Terran Conflict, I went on a station bombing spree to celebrate my second TL. Strangely enough, the Xenon have left the stations alone in Xenon Core so now I have six or so Space Fuel Distillaries floating there for no reason.

Tractor beaming stations does indeed work and is extremely damaging, but more suited to taking out stations with than ships because you can't stationbomb another station and it's challenging to catch up to another ship at 80m/s top speed.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 26. Jul 13, 10:48

You can if the station you're using for the bombing is a mine fitted to a large asteroid. If anything the trouble is *not* bombing them with it.

Take it from me, there's nothing a large 'roid will not demolish.

Go on you know you want to :twisted:

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Fri, 26. Jul 13, 16:07

I've accidentally crashed two mines together when tractoring, what I meant was you can't drop one from a TL onto another station because it does that random dancy thingy where it goes bouncing around the sector.

Anyway, I managed to catch such a crash on video when making my Herron's Nebula missile complex.

http://classic.xfire.com/video/6040d4/

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 26. Jul 13, 16:49

brucewarren wrote:
So when that snotty Argon says "you have the flying skills of a large asteroid" it's actually a compliment?
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

IConquer
x3ap

Post by IConquer » Fri, 26. Jul 13, 18:14

Timsup2nothin wrote:
brucewarren wrote:
So when that snotty Argon says "you have the flying skills of a large asteroid" it's actually a compliment?
Every time he says that I always think "well a large asteroid seems to have just taken out all your buddies."
Game played: X3:AP unless otherwise specified

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”