Any site or Forum posts with weapon recommendations?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dezonus
xr

Any site or Forum posts with weapon recommendations?

Post by Dezonus » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 14:23

Hi there,

So I'm moving up, expanding to broader horizons as far as ships go, but am getting confused as far as equipping them goes.

Terran ships are great, there's only 4 weapons to choose from. The Commonwealth however have so many different weapons it's incredibly hard to figure out what to use.

I'm wondering if there's anywhere that has recommended armaments for ships? I'm really at a loss as to non Terran ships...

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 14:35

all of them are good, but it depends what ship class you want to equip, it also depends what race ship you're equipping as not all of them can mount all weapon types.

Personally, I like PRGs but none of the ships I fly can use them :( A lot of people will tell you about the 'flamethrower' gun, the PBG but I think they get carried away with its close-up damage stats.

Woodenplank
x4

Post by Woodenplank » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 14:44

gbjbaanb wrote:all of them are good, but it depends what ship class you want to equip, it also depends what race ship you're equipping as not all of them can mount all weapon types.

Personally, I like PRGs but none of the ships I fly can use them :( A lot of people will tell you about the 'flamethrower' gun, the PBG but I think they get carried away with its close-up damage stats.
PBGs are downright evil - IF you can get close enough to use them.

OP, it all depends on what ship you are flying, and what kind of ships you're fighting. PRGs are great for killing small and fast fighters, but might not be the best idea for taking on an M2.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Dezonus
xr

Post by Dezonus » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 14:56

I'm looking mostly at equipping big ships, M6 size and above. I've recently bought a M7 Tiger and a M2 Raptor, am thinking about getting a M1 Phoenix too for the shear fact of its size, and how cheap it is for an M2. The shear fact that there are so many weapons over so many turret bays is REALLY doing my head in...Fighters I can figure out, Capitols I cannot.

Also am looking into M8 and M7M, but are unsure what to put on the back turrets...?

As for Phased Repeater Guns (I assume thats what PRG stands for), I'm Argon Enemy of the Federation, so getting PRGs, an Argon Weapon, is difficult for me. I don't want to improve my standing with them, as I do find them a fun enemy to have, plus who else am I going to war against if I ally them?

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 15:11

There are some weapon guides in the Guides sticky which may be helpful, and the FAQ has a list of acronyms.
Last edited by Carlo the Curious on Sat, 27. Jul 13, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 15:12

A standard but effective loadout is PPC in all turrets that can take it and flak in all the others. Boring, but gets the job done.

For an M8, I like to put a PAC in the rear turret because of its range and projectile speed. IRE is exceedingly close range and it's not like you'll be using laser energy for anything else. I've been tempted to put an HEPT in but I like being able to hit targets with it, especially "Destroy x ships" missions which are blue initially.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sat, 27. Jul 13, 15:15

X3TC weapons guide - applies to X3AP too.

X3TC missiles guide - some of the missile damage has been slightly changed in X3AP, but their type (dumbfire, swarm, etc) and overall purpose haven't changed that much.

Dezonus
xr

Post by Dezonus » Sun, 28. Jul 13, 01:32

Hemmingfish wrote:A standard but effective loadout is PPC in all turrets that can take it and flak in all the others. Boring, but gets the job done.
Which Flak Weapon is better? The Cluster Flak Array, or the Flak Artillery Array?

Also, just to confirm my theory, Good Weapon loadouts for Terrans are PSP in all turrets that can take it and SSC in all the others..?

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 28. Jul 13, 02:33

FAA does more damage but in a smaller blast radius, which is pretty good if you're fighting a small wing of M3's, as each of them will get killed fast before it can shoot your shields for too long. Small M3 wings is what you see most of the time, unless you're fighting an M1 at close range, in which case it will launch a swarm of fighters and be a pain in the rear.

C-flak on the other hand is a bit more AOE with smaller damage per shot, and so it can handle a concentrated swarm (you may still die to a concentrated swarm, but your chances are better).

Some M7 ships have C-flak as the only realistic option for the front turrets, and it's good for that position because a wing of M3's attacking you en masse will have a tendency to fly straight at you (tightly grouped, too), so you're shooting forward and the bigger fireball gets more of them.

EDIT: The FAA (and C-flak) muzzle flash animation causes my pretty decent NVidia 560 TI cards to slow down to 1 frame per second, so basically I can't pilot the above M7's, or ships that have FAA on top that's relatively close to the cockpit.

Tohron
x3tc

Post by Tohron » Sun, 28. Jul 13, 04:59

I find that in terms of flak power, the Terran Starburst outperforms the commonwealth variants because the larger shots are less likely to miss.

In terms of weapon selection, I go for flak (with PRGs as a lesser alternative) against fighters, PPCs (with IBLs, then Ion Shard Railguns, then CIGs as lesser alternatives, in that order) against capital ships, and just use anti-capital weaponry against corvettes, rather than bother switching.

Plasma Burst Generators are useful against everything from M7s to M5s if you can handle dodging at close range. Indeed, the small AoE makes them the most accurate fighter/corvette weapon against small, fast fighters. The downside is that supplying them is difficult, and fighter wings using them can cause friendly fire.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 28. Jul 13, 08:39

Dezonus wrote: Which Flak Weapon is better? The Cluster Flak Array, or the Flak Artillery Array?
The CFA's main advantage over the FAA is the AOE effect (it throws out a bunch of bomblets when it goes off that can hit other ships)--however, this AOE is quite small and the expelled munitions are unlikely to hit anything, so overall, I always consider CFA to be a slightly more energy-hungry version of FAA. From that point of view FAA is better, but you occasionally get ships which can only use CFA in a particular turret, and you won't suffer any degradation in performance by using CFA in those slots.

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Sun, 28. Jul 13, 08:44

The main distinguishing feature between the two flaks I find is that CFA tends to be more accurate because of the slower shot speed. FAA has a nasty habit of passing right through ships at low frame rates, or even at high ones because of how quickly the projectiles are moving. CFA is still extremely quick and doesn't suffer this drawback.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”