Why is the AI so horrible with the Jumpdrive?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

leos89

Why is the AI so horrible with the Jumpdrive?

Post by leos89 » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 01:11

Okay I had an insanely annoying experience last night playing this game and I need to vent.

I am doing an assassination mission because I want to practice boarding and want to get a decent m6. I get the mission and I have to go kill a guy in a centaur.

I jump into the sector first to see where the enemy is and then I call in my 2 m6's to jump in and help kill all the little guys. They are in a wing so I tell them both to jump with one command. The one arrives and the other arrives a bit later....ok annoying but not a huge deal. Then I manage to get the centaur by itself and damaged so I want to jump my ships out before they kill the centaur. I issue the command and one of them usually manages to jump out.....the other one on the other hand sits there at 0 m/s taking forever to jump getting pelted by the enemy. Usually almost dies before finally jumping (I reloaded a lot and this happened every time).

Why the hell do they take so long to jump? I never noticed this before when they aren't in combat.

Another annoying thing was when I managed to get them to jump after a while without being destroyed and got the enemy centaur alone, I jumped in my angel with marines and told him to start the boarding and it just flew after him doing nothing the whole time. The centaur had little hull so it was def not moving too fast.

The AI is so bad at times....

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 01:25

Autopilot jumps will wait for traffic. Sometimes it seems to get stuck though.

Tohron
x3tc

Post by Tohron » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 01:50

If you're playing AP, you can order them to jump to a sector with a jump beacon - otherwise, the second ship will wait for the first one to move clear of the gate.

In general, putting multiple capital ships in a wing isn't very effective, in part because of this.

tindebroed

Post by tindebroed » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 16:16

If you issue a boarding command, the AI will expect someone else to take down the shields of the target.

I actually think the boarding part of the AI works very well, but it is tricky to board without pods nomatter how you twist and turn.

heratik
x3tc

Re: Why is the AI so horrible with the Jumpdrive?

Post by heratik » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 17:14

leos89 wrote:
Another annoying thing was when I managed to get them to jump after a while without being destroyed and got the enemy centaur alone, I jumped in my angel with marines and told him to start the boarding and it just flew after him doing nothing the whole time. The centaur had little hull so it was def not moving too fast.

The AI is so bad at times....
I take it you were still personally maintaining shields while the Angel was under the boarding command? It will just follow doing nothing if the shields are over the safe threshold.

Also, what ship are you personally flying and how good are your marines? If you are in an M6 and you have 5 maxed out marines, it would probably be easier to do the whole boarding yourself in an M6.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”