my very first capped m6 - the argon centaur!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

firestorm79
x4

my very first capped m6 - the argon centaur!

Post by firestorm79 » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 11:31

Hi guys, I've just capp'd my first ship ever! Thanks to Rive's guide!

The spacewalk technique I used was slightly different though... I kind of ran a collission course with the argon centaur whilst my drones kept its shields down, then at the last minute I pulled away and dropped my marines (via additional command key, not the useless 'piracy' command). I nearly did a little wee in my pants when all my marines connected with the centaur at the same time... And just to prove to myself that it wasn't a fluke, I reloaded and did it again using the same technique! Success!

Anyway I managed to cap it with its hull down to about 60%... don't know why hull was damaged if my drones were set to attack shields... may be my Express turret was doing something to the centaur that it shouldn't have been...

I lost 3 marines :( they were good men.

Now I have a battered argon M6, which rolled 4 CIGs after the hacking.

My question is this: what's the best loadout and use for the Centaur? And any comments on the boarding part would be appreciated too!

H.F._Mudd
x3tc

Post by H.F._Mudd » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 12:01

Congrats!!!!

Don't quote me (I'm very rusty) but I think the hull damage came from a low engineering skill...

I'm just getting back into the game after a year's break. I'm refreshing skills in TC before moving on to AP....

I'm going to hunt a Hyperion Vanguard today, but I'm using another M6! :lol:
Wanderin' the wastelands...

firestorm79
x4

Post by firestorm79 » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 12:05

H.F._Mudd wrote:Congrats!!!!
I'm going to hunt a Hyperion Vanguard today, but I'm using another M6! :lol:
Thanks!

Everyone raves about the hyperion, and I have to say that I've bought the hype (pun intended)!

How do you board a hype with an M6? Spacewalk? Same way you would board any M6 with a TP?

H.F._Mudd
x3tc

Post by H.F._Mudd » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 12:12

Yes. You can use the same tactics with10X the shielding.

You need to buy a life support system for the cargo bay. Also, the M6 will only hold 5 marines, but that's enough.
Wanderin' the wastelands...

firestorm79
x4

Post by firestorm79 » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 12:32

H.F._Mudd wrote:Yes. You can use the same tactics with10X the shielding.

You need to buy a life support system for the cargo bay. Also, the M6 will only hold 5 marines, but that's enough.
thx!

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 13:26

That's correct, the lower your marines engineering skill is the more damage they do busting thru decks.
Load out on the centaur? None, go and get that Hyperion instead :)

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 14:55

Centaur isn't horrible, I actually like it.

CIGs or HEPTs (or combination of the two) up front, and the turrets can take the fast-shooting PRG for missile and fighter defense, or the slower-shooting PAC or HEPT for just damage, or the ammo-based EBC to conserve your energy for the front guns. It's a pretty straight-forward ship.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 15:05

It makes a good tug boat, being reasonably fast for something that can mount the traktor beam up front. I'd use it for that, although maybe AP hasn't something better/faster.

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 15:20

Congratulations!

It's really good to see that old stuff being still useful.

In those times I've also tried it the way you did but the differential velocity of the ships were too high for my taste and for the shields of my Express... After some collisions I kept the old way in the guide.

So: you did it definitely your own way :wink: Keep up the good work!

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 16:57

Infekted wrote:It makes a good tug boat, being reasonably fast for something that can mount the traktor beam up front. I'd use it for that, although maybe AP hasn't something better/faster.
The Skiron is a better tugboat, it might be the best tugboat in the M6 class, but it's not as versatile overall and it's significiantly more expensive. If cost is no object though it's the one you want.
OTAS -- it's like 42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 19:34

I used a springy to cap the hyperion it was a doddle with no losses but once shields hit zero I called of the drones and just sent one back to keep picking at the shields.

Congrats on the cap though are still well deserved.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: my very first capped m6 - the argon centaur!

Post by Nanook » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 20:54

firestorm79 wrote:...
Anyway I managed to cap it with its hull down to about 60%... don't know why hull was damaged if my drones were set to attack shields... may be my Express turret was doing something to the centaur that it shouldn't have been......
Unless your marines are maxed out in Engineering skills, they'll damage the hull as they progress through the boarding op. Good job on the boarding op, btw. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

firestorm79
x4

Post by firestorm79 » Wed, 31. Jul 13, 21:03

Shucks... Thanks guys! It really was a great feeling! !

Currently I've got a hype being followed by one of my claimed pirate ships throughout paranid sectors. When I I've got my centaur fully equipped (thx for the loadout suggestions guys) and a couple more crack squad marines, I will jump in the unsuspecting m6 and jack him...

Can't wait!

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 17:08

Nice work, but once you get that Hype, you'll never look back...

...although I must warn you, they can be a bugger to cap :D

firestorm79
x4

Post by firestorm79 » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 17:44

really? I thought they'd be a cakewalk in my centaur.... any tips?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”