[TC] Split Panther

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Is the Split Panther a little too good?

Yes, it's overpowered
12%
No, it could be better
No votes
It's perfect as-is
52%
Never flown it
32%
Darth, you're an idiot
4%

Total votes: 25

darth_adversor

[TC] Split Panther

Post by darth_adversor » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 09:57

I hate to look a gift Panther in the mouth, but does anyone think it's a little too maneuverable? As in, unrealistically and poorly balanced maneuverable? Don't get me wrong, it's a joy to fly, being both fast (for an M7) and agile, but I took it out for its maiden voyage a bit ago and was stunned by how it turns. It's almost like flying an M6. In the interest of "realism," if such a concept exists with a game like this, the Panther just seems to be a little too good.

After having flown the Shrike, then the Tokyo, and most recently the Cobra, this thing makes me feel like a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar!
The Pirates government wishes to thank you for your outstanding efforts against crime. :?

Core i5-2500k @ 4.5 . Radeon 6950 2GB . 8GB DDR3-1600 . 52" HDTV :D

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 10:06

It's overpowered, but not because it can turn fast. And every game has to hold some candy for the player. So for me it's perfect :)

firestorm79
x4

Post by firestorm79 » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 10:32

why have a never flown it option on this poll? anyways... I've ticked that box 8)

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 11:58

It shouldn't be able to mount IBL up front. If it couldn't, it would force it into more of a support carrier role rather than pwn the hell out of everything role.
As it stands it's the only M7 I bother getting/keeping these days.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 15:11

Yeah, IBL up front, Second fastest M7, 32 bay Hangar, turns like an M6, Slimmish profile, even it's laser/shield gens aren't too bad.

It's like the Hype V of M7s

DiArmada
x3tc

Post by DiArmada » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 16:09

it does turn very fast, I give you that.
it's my favorite ship though, due to it's versatility.
it can stand it's ground with weapons on all sides.
it has enough speed to get out if it can't stand it's ground.
it carries several wings of fighters.
it looks great. (but that's subjective of course)

ajm317
x4

Post by ajm317 » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 17:02

Well they did nerf it in AP.

The turning of the Panther is good for an M7, but not amazingly so. It turns worse than the Pirate Carrack, and about the same as the Split Tiger, Boron Thresher, Xenon Q and ATF Aegir.

The Shrike has the worst steering in the class and the other two ships, the Cobra and the Tokyo are in completely different classes (M7M and M1) that have much worse steering than the M7 class in general.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 1. Aug 13, 17:19

@Darth I think you're missing something important here-

There's no such thing as too much firepower :twisted: :skull: :fg: :fg: :fg:

darth_adversor

Post by darth_adversor » Fri, 2. Aug 13, 04:09

Only 1 person thinks I'm an idiot? I'm disappointed, I thought I'd have at least 2-3 haters by now. ;)
firestorm79 wrote:why have a never flown it option on this poll?
Why not?
ajm317 wrote:The Shrike has the worst steering in the class and the other two ships, the Cobra and the Tokyo are in completely different classes (M7M and M1) that have much worse steering than the M7 class in general.
I know. That wasn't really part of my argument so much, as it was the setup for my Firefly quote. :)

I suppose up to 10 IBL's up front AND 32 fighters (or even 20) is something of an 'I win' button, but I was more focusing on its agility. Although I didn't realize all those other ships have roughly the same agility as well. Perhaps my argument should have been about the class in general, not just the Panther.

But I do love the ship, and as much as I like the Shrike for its Gauss support and huge cargobay, I don't see myself leaving this bad boy anytime soon. I thought I would miss main guns, but after flying the Tokyo and now the Panther...turns out I don't.
The Pirates government wishes to thank you for your outstanding efforts against crime. :?

Berserkenstein
x3tc

Post by Berserkenstein » Fri, 2. Aug 13, 04:28

It was a little too strong in TC, but it got nerfed in AP. They reduced the number of docking bays to 20 and halved the weapon generator.

It still is the best light carrier, the elephant is probably the best support carrier though.

As for the steering, there are other M7s that have just as good steering, like the cerberus. The carrack has better steering and turrets everywhere, but it has the worst shielding of all the M7s.
I'll see you on the other side!

darth_adversor

Post by darth_adversor » Fri, 2. Aug 13, 06:02

The weapon generator got cut in half? :o I didn't know that. That's a bummer.

Berserkenstein
x3tc

Post by Berserkenstein » Fri, 2. Aug 13, 06:34

I actually stated that wrong.

The charge capacity was reduced, it went from 53,000 J, to 35,000 J. The recharge went from 1,855 J to 1,750 J.

However, all the other changes in AP vastly improves combat in the game.

Especially for the terran ships since you can actually buy stuff for them now.

I'll never go back to TC now that I've played AP, things are so much better.

I really miss fighting the kha'ak though, even with their cheap-ass beam weapons.
I'll see you on the other side!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”