[X3AP] Weapon groups on non-player ships

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RiverRat2800

[X3AP] Weapon groups on non-player ships

Post by RiverRat2800 » Fri, 2. Aug 13, 01:02

If I assign 2 sets of weapons to my non-player ships, say anti-shield/anti-hull, or anti-fighter/heavy, and set them in different weapon groups, is the AI capable of switching between the 2 for the most efficient weapon for the task at hand? For example if I commanded the ship to attack shields would it switch to PBE's or Ions? Or is it better to just load non-players ships with one type of weapon? Thanks in advance for any advice!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 2. Aug 13, 01:07

AfaIk they don't switch. There may be some script for that.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 2. Aug 13, 04:49

I don't think they switch, and if your weapon group 1 has some of the weapons disabled, those probably won't fire while under AI control.

X3AP does have the capability to auto-switch weapons, but you must go into the Gameplay settings from the bottom of the toolbar on the left side of the screen, then go into Turret Command Configuration, and enable weapon switching for some of the turret commands.

You can either edit the standard ones (Turrets: Attack Capitals) or you can enable the Alpha Beta Gamma ones and make them like Attack Fighters or Attack Capitals or Attack Enemies, but with weapon switching added.

Then you have to put sets of various weapons in the ship, and the AI will load capital weapons to shoot at capital ships, and smaller weapons to shoot fighters or do missile defense.

EDIT: If you command it to attack shields, it will try to stop shooting once the shields are at 0, so you don't really need it to switch weapons unless you're trying to attack the shields of an M6 with the weapons of an M2.

I prefer to just install one set of weapons and disable weapon switching. Cargo space in the ship is limited enough as it is. And, capitals typically have sides for big weapons and top/bottom for flak/anti-fighter.

But, if you enable it and put different sets of weapons in the ship, it should work.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”