oh bovver, can't install The Threat

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gracie
x3tc

oh bovver, can't install The Threat

Post by Gracie » Sat, 3. Aug 13, 22:35

Hello playmates, not posted for a while. I was snooping around here earlier to see if I could find wisdom on why Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict would not run in Steam ( had some strange problems with the HDD so moved Steam to another folder and had installed TC and AP again but... Well I got my answer loud and clear from the Steam FAQ on here, and all is now hunky-dory, but while I was here I read BL's open letter to us players on the subject of Steam ( hats off to him) and was delighted to discover that X-BTF and X-tension can be bought ( for a very modest sum) from Steam, and are playable on modern systems. I have every title of the X-series game languishing on my shelf because I thought I couldn't play the earlier games anymore, or ever again. Well, piggy-bank to the rescue and I bought both those games pdq. However, I figured The Threat ought to run on W7 64 bit from the disk - but I cannot get it to install. Any tips on that please? if I have to buy it from Steam, then I will, but I would rather use the disk .

Ah, snap, someone else has posted the same question a bit earlier. 32 bit games CAN be run on a 64 bit system, but for me the install gets 'interrupted' and doesn't complete.

Ah! have seen a moderator advising where to go to get around the problem. Sorry to have piped up before I did a proper research. I shall go and have a look at that now.

...nf, didn't work. Steam, here I come.
mines the creaky little ship with the zimmer frame strapped on the back :)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 4. Aug 13, 12:43

HI Gracie, If you have not done so yet, Superbox can be gained quite cheap on Steam,at times. It includes all the x series released so far.

Bonus packs still need to be downloaded from Egosoft.

Gracie
x3tc

Post by Gracie » Sun, 4. Aug 13, 22:21

Hello TTD, thanks for that. I have seen the Superbox on Steam but thought it would work ( and be cheaper) if I got the Steam copies of XBTF and X-Tension, and simply installed Threat and Reunion via disk. X2 wouldn't play ball and the wheeze that works for some did not work for me, so I have now bought the Steam Copy of X2, and have installed Reunion from the disk and am hoping that will work OK. It is the later version ( I have both) with the Bonus Pack and Bala Gi's Research, so I assume I won't need any updates. Not yet tried it.

:D
mines the creaky little ship with the zimmer frame strapped on the back :)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 4. Aug 13, 22:40

Disk version of Reunion has had minor updates since then,but most can be downloaded from this site.

You can ,of course,put the installation into your Steam folder.and if you have bought a Steam version,you can update to the latest patch.

McKenna-x2source
x3tc

Post by McKenna-x2source » Sun, 11. Aug 13, 21:17

Can you activate your game on steam using the cd-key?

I added x3tc to my steam library using this method, don't know if the same would work for x2 or x3r
I hate the hub plot!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 11. Aug 13, 22:00

No, that registration code arrangement with Steam was only for X3TC and the SuperBox; mainly to enable X3AP play.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

McKenna-x2source
x3tc

Post by McKenna-x2source » Sun, 11. Aug 13, 23:07

I have to admit i did rebuy x2, x3r and x3tc via the superbox just to get xbtf and xt as i had never played them. Plus i like being able to install these games without having to huntnfor the discs.
I hate the hub plot!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”