[X3R] Shields & Paranid Equip

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thelebk
x3ap

[X3R] Shields & Paranid Equip

Post by thelebk » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 06:30

1) I am about to buy my first station. Do they automatically come with 10GJ shields or do I have to buy one? I assume there is an interface to install? Also it appears that you cannot get all sizes of all factories from a race in each shipyard...

2)
Spoiler
Show
Is there anything I need to buy that's important to have from the Paranid before I advance the main plot and they go hostile?
Thanks.

Rive
x3tc

Re: [X3R] Shields & Paranid Equip

Post by Rive » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 09:12

thelebk wrote:1) I am about to buy my first station. Do they automatically come with 10GJ shields or do I have to buy one? I assume there is an interface to install?
Shields are coming with the station, you don't have to buy (or install) any.
Also it appears that you cannot get all sizes of all factories from a race in each shipyard..
That's normal.

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 09:17

Anyone have anything for 2) Above?

3) getting the mammoth transport to follow me was like pulling teeth. It frequently want backwards and in circles and anywhere but where I was. I noticed it had a great deal of difficulty moving to gates as well. Is this normal behavior?

4) I dropped my (L) Wheat Farm down in the Wall but it is at a weird angle that I have trouble docking with. How do I rotate/adjust it at this stage?

Thanks.

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 09:26

3: yes. Bigships always has problems in-sector if they are on autopilot.
It's better to send them directly to the shipyard/sector (instead of the 'follow me') and stay away. As I recall there is a command for this.

4. You can rotate a station while you deploy it: once it's ready you can move it with a tractor beam only.

About your second question: I have no idea, it was too long ago when I last played Reunion, and actually: I never bothered with the plot.
Maybe a some PSGs and a tractor beam. But as I recall it was told that the plot can be done without really unique stuff, so dunno.

Grape
x3ap

Post by Grape » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 11:18

Best way to get the TL to do stuff with minimum fuss is to hire it, give it the order (Nav Command Software) and then move OOS. There seems to be an issue with the collision detection for large ships moving whilst you are in sector with them.
Spoiler
Show
The only thing that I personally ensured i got was the tractor beam, and then just one of them. As for the shields, well, its not really an issue, the 25mj shield which is quite important is also produced by the Split so no real worries about trying for the rep to get them from the Paranid.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 11:39

The only thing you may miss from the Paranids is the docking computer.
Right on commander !

Grape
x3ap

Post by Grape » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 15:28

Docking Comps are no worries really, they are available from a number of non-Paranid stations :wink:

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 16:29

Really ?
Remember it is a Reunion topic.
Right on commander !

Grape
x3ap

Post by Grape » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 19:09

Geek wrote:Really ?
Remember it is a Reunion topic.
ah! sorry, no, in that case im not so sure about the docking comps.

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Tue, 6. Aug 13, 04:23

Thanks all for replies, a few thoughts:

I did not go OOS and send the mammoth to destination because the pathfinding from Light of Heart to the Wall runs almost entire through heavily infested pirate sectors. I felt I had to be there to distract/destroy pirates so the mammoth would get through. Ironically however I got attacked by pirates constantly but they completely ignored the big fat slow transport loaded with treasure. I guess no one said pirates were smart. Also once it got to the Wall I had to be in sector anyways to try and get it to come and drop cargo where I wanted it (between the W and N gates for easy access)

I have never bought a docking comp in Reunion... all the ships seem to come with them for free. I just click on a target, select dock, and the autopilot does the rest. Good to know about the tractor beam and yes I am glad you only really need one. What is the cheapest ship I can mount the thing on btw? I need to rotate that L Wheat farm...

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 6. Aug 13, 10:43

The docking computer is not required for autopilot docking.
It is a different feature. It allows the playership to dock instantly from a distance, similar to the teleporter but working for a ship.

Your other Q is already enswered here http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 19#4103819
Right on commander !

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Wed, 7. Aug 13, 04:59

Thanks for the tips.

1) I bought a docking computer. How do I make it work instantly? so far docking makes it do the normal auto dock thing I see no difference.

2) Where am I supposed to by a TB? Paranid Eq docks don't sell them and I see no paranoid plants that do...

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 7. Aug 13, 11:27

There is a dedicated hotkey for the DC - look into your options/controls.

The TB can only be bought at some places :
http://www.xdatabase.de/x3-reunion/en/t ... +Beam.html

If both factories are missing, then you will have to buy yours.
Right on commander !

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Wed, 7. Aug 13, 12:10

thelebk wrote:Thanks for the tips.

1) I bought a docking computer. How do I make it work instantly? so far docking makes it do the normal auto dock thing I see no difference.

2) Where am I supposed to by a TB? Paranid Eq docks don't sell them and I see no paranoid plants that do...
1. Shift-D as I recall. If you are within 5km range to the docking points of your target then it docks you instantly: if not, then it initiates the autopilot to dock the slow way.

2. There is a game function called 'God' which removes the factories which does nothing for long time. If you can't find the TB factories then it's possible that they were removed. If so, then you can do nothing for now: you have to rebuild one later if you want a tractor beam.

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Thu, 8. Aug 13, 04:15

Who would have thought trying to find a tractor beam would be a Chinese puzzle... In any case both of those sectors are open and mapped for me. With a name like TB factory I don't expect I can miss it!

Shift-D initiates the normal docking routine. if within 5 km there is a small chance it will insta dock. Most of the time it will message "docking port not available" or some sort of error. Cool idea, poorly implemented.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 8. Aug 13, 09:10

I don't think Shift+D uses the docking computer in X3R. IIRC there isn't any key assigned to the docking computer in the default keyboard layout for that game, so you have to go in and assign one. Even if that isn't the case, I would go in and change the docking computer to use a different key to autodock--if they're set to the same key and you hit autodock when you're slightly outside docking computer range your ship will immediately start the normal autodock process, which I find incredibly annoying!

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Fri, 9. Aug 13, 04:03

Your right PJ I noticed that. In reunion to get it to work I have had to hit "I" with the station selected and then manually click dock within 5km. Even this does not work often as I get voice error messages "docking port unavailable" (no idea what this means since in every case there are no other ships docked at that station taking space) or "command rejected". 33% of the time the docking computer actually works and that's better than zero percent. I will have to look to setting a hot key for it. Thanks.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 9. Aug 13, 09:05

"Docking port unavailable" can happen if there is a ship which is not actually docked at the station, but is in the process of docking or undocking from it--the autopilot will see that and won't start the autodock procedure for fear of ramming the other ship. Docking computer avoids that entirely, though, so not sure why you'd be getting that message if you're using that!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”