Factories

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Maxdamaged

Factories

Post by Maxdamaged » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 18:35

Sheesh, I'm really taking over the forms today... Last question

I currently have 2 factories, one wheat in Herron's nebula an one silicon mine in omicron lyrae . I look at the "avg cr" section and it seems really high. I've read that I should go 1cr under avg but nothing sells. The wheat I brought down to 19 which helps but I still don't get much sales. The silicon mine is killing me. It says average is 504. Who in their right mind would pay 504.... I've tried bringing the cost all the way down to 335 and it still doesn't sell and the energy cells to run it is making the factories not profitable. Am I missing something? Omicron lyrae has a lot of factories that need silicon and no one seems to want to buy any . Should I scrap the station and open something else in the system?

Thanks for your time

Lukesharp
x3ap

Post by Lukesharp » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 18:40

Try buying a freighter and basing it there, then using CLS to sell to other factories, you'll find you get much more sales that way. There are various guides on how to set up CLS to help you.

Maxdamaged

Post by Maxdamaged » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 18:46

Ok I'm willing to try anything. What does "CLS" stand for? Is my understanding of the averages correct? Could the avg cr of 504 be possible for silicon or 21 for wheat? Should I be selling at 503 and 20 respectively?

stoudtlr
x3ap

Post by stoudtlr » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 18:49

Another option is to set up a TS as a CAG. That one ship will then automatically find the cheapest energy to buy for your factory and then look for the best place to sell your product for the highest profit. No waiting on NPC's to come to you, he'll go to them. I love CAG's. They are easy to setup and make micro-management of your factories uneeded.

Maxdamaged

Post by Maxdamaged » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 18:52

So I can have one ship buy and sell? I've tried that with two different ships one to buy and one to sell. If there is a way to get one to do both that would be awesome. What does "CLS" and "CAG" stand for?

stoudtlr
x3ap

Post by stoudtlr » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 18:59

Yep, 1 can do both.

CLS - Commodity Logistics Software
CAG - Commercial Agent

CLS has many more options over CAG, but is much harder to set up. CAG is very easy. Usually, I start all of my freighter pilots on the default CAG settings and only adjust the settings if I want later.

There is a great guide in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. In the thread look for Player-Automated Traders in X3:Terran Conflict by Alacard1

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=162408

That guide was great for getting me started. Tells you what software is needed on the ships and how to configure the various options.

Maxdamaged

Post by Maxdamaged » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 19:05

Awesome thanks I'll check it out. I've read so many guides, some twice, and this stuff gets garbled in my head. I guess that's why I enjoy this game, makes it that much more rewarding when you get it rolling. Reminds me of my Eve days.

stoudtlr
x3ap

Post by stoudtlr » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 19:16

I hear ya. lol. i think my eyes were bleeding from all the guides I read through my first few days of playing. Still going back and rereading a lot of them.

McKenna-x2source
x3tc

Post by McKenna-x2source » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 19:45

You will need to bonus pack installed to use the cls and cag
I hate the hub plot!

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 20:19

Whilst it is a good thing to get the bonus pack and get to grip with CAG and CLS.
For the applications you are after it isn't really required. CAG would let you buy and sell with one ship, CLS would let you target specific stations. But you could just use the vanilla mark 2 trade software on a couple of ships per station equally well to get started.

As for your understanding of the prices. Yes they are correct, those average prices are right.
Take silicon for example, you say there are plenty of places buying it locally? If you look in those places, when they are exactly 50% full, they will be paying 504 per unit of silicon. As they drop below this mark they start paying more and more.
But as pointed out, you cannot rely on NPC traders to ship it for you. But you will make more profit using your own vessels anyway as if they can sell for more than your set price, they will.

Maxdamaged

Post by Maxdamaged » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 20:24

Ok will do, I did a search and found out these we're in the bonus pack, that explains why u never noticed the software. I can pop a small mercury on to sell and once I get the bonus pack I'll move on from there. Looks like I'll issuing a price increase on some wares tonight!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 20. Aug 13, 23:10

There's also a rather large side benefit to having your ships buying and selling. You only get increases in your Trade reputation for transactions made by player-owned ships. You don't get any increase at all if an NPC buys from or sells to one of your factories. Having your trade rep increase in this way means you get better paying missions, the higher your trade rep, the higher the mission reward (for non-combat missions).
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”