AI Boarding

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BankruptAssasin
xr

AI Boarding

Post by BankruptAssasin » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 14:38

Just a simple question, i have never really boarded ships from an M7M, only once or twice was i successfull but i was wondering, is it possible to order say my Ares to lauch Marines while i help take down the sheilds? and will it lauch all the Marines etc?

I know the AI is stupid sometimes so im reluctant to try it out, but will it fire it's flails, Hammers & boarding pods or only the missile eqiuped?

Cheers
X3TC - Awesome
AP - Just started playing - Looks impressive
don't play Reunion - Too old
Rebirth - we all know the problems here

We're All dying from the moment we are Born.

BurningMan
x3ap

Post by BurningMan » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 14:44

Yes that works just tell it to board the ship with the Piracy Command once the shields are below 5% and it should shoot the Boarding Pods all you have to do then is keeping the shields under 5% until the Marines have cut through the hull and the ship should be yours if your marines are good enough.

I am not 100% sure however if you really want that your M7M helps you stripping down the shields, because the AI isn't exactly the smartest and will propably do more damage than you want it to.

If you want to cap the ship by stripping down the shields yourself with whatever ship you want i would recommend to set the Ares turret command to "none" and just order it to board via Piracy command once the shields are down.
If you got nothing that can strip down the shields of your boarding target by itself i would recommend just using the M7M yourself. Get the shields low with Hammers, fire a few Flails to keep the shields low use the boarding command and follow up with a few flails again to keep the shields low while your marines cut the Hull (also keep the turrets disabled).

I could give you a little more detailed advice if you could just tell me your complete situation like what do you want to board, what ships do you want to use and how good your marines are.
Last edited by BurningMan on Fri, 23. Aug 13, 14:56, edited 2 times in total.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 14:53

The AI will not be smart about damage, so you'll probably want to:

- order it to attack the target (or its shields) so it shoots the damage missiles

- order it to Piracy - board so it shoots the pods

- order it to stop and/or go away so it doesn't keep shooting while the target is in hull and the marines are inside

It's also not smart about range; you typically want an M7M to stay at 15 km out of range, but it will happily try to bump your target.

BankruptAssasin
xr

Post by BankruptAssasin » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 14:54

Sounds easy doesn't it, somehow i forsee a headache in the future
X3TC - Awesome
AP - Just started playing - Looks impressive
don't play Reunion - Too old
Rebirth - we all know the problems here

We're All dying from the moment we are Born.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 15:43

What the worst that could happen? You gotta reload? Have a try and see what happens doing various things :)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: AI Boarding

Post by Nanook » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 21:14

BankruptAssasin wrote:Just a simple question, i have never really boarded ships from an M7M, only once or twice was i successfull but i was wondering, is it possible to order say my Ares to lauch Marines while i help take down the sheilds? and will it lauch all the Marines etc?

I know the AI is stupid sometimes so im reluctant to try it out, but will it fire it's flails, Hammers & boarding pods or only the missile eqiuped?

Cheers
Before you do anything, tell the M7M to 'Board Ship' using the piracy command. Then you can get close to the target and take the shields down. Once the shields are low enough, the M7M will automatically launch a full load of marines at the target. Your only task is to keep the target's shields low during the whole process until the marines have entered the ship. Then simply fly away and let them do their work. It really is very easy this way, assuming your ship is strong enough to ward off the target's weapons fire during the initial boarding process.

The beauty of this approach is you do not need any hammers or flails on your M7M, at least not for the boarding op. So you don't even need to invest in a missile complex simply to do boarding. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”