[X-BTF on Steam] High-res Fullscreen/Widescreen issues

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

starslab

[X-BTF on Steam] High-res Fullscreen/Widescreen issues

Post by starslab » Fri, 30. Aug 13, 14:02

Couple questions

Does this game properly support widescreen aspect ratios? 1920x1200 works but seems to crop the top and bottom off the interface.

Running in a window borks the controls - specifically the mouse doesn't work properly, which then screws up everything else. I almost quit the game in frustration at the terrible joystick responses, before switching to fullscreen and having the problem go away. I'd rather be playing this in a window, so if there's a workaround that would be great.

Finally, if I can't run in a window, I'd like to run at my screen's native resolution, 2560x1600. This always crashes the game when I switch to it though.

ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6800-series on Win7-64

Crash switching to 2560x1600x32

DXDiag output

Finally, I should mention I'm happy this game runs at all - many games from the win98 era are just DOA on modern hardware.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 30. Aug 13, 16:10

Widescreen support isn't perfect, but I just tried it at 1920x1200 and it seemed playable. I can confirm that mouse control seems glitchy (it worked from time to time, but most of the time nothing much happened) in windowed mode, but seems fine in full-screen. I don't know of any workarounds for either I'm afraid.

I'm not able to test at 2560x1600 as my screens aren't big enough, but then again I'd have though the game wouldn't look great at that resolution anyway, because of the relatively simple models and low-resolution textures.

starslab

Post by starslab » Fri, 30. Aug 13, 19:06

You're quite right the game doesn't benefit from higher resolutions - hence my preference to play in something like maybe a 1280x1024 window. My reason for wanting to stay at my monitor's native resolution is because it's rather irritating when the desktop resolution and arrangement changes.

I was hoping to make a separate sector map and keep it on my other monitor, but that's off the table now. Does the game get a built-in mapping solution? (I've puttered around in Teladi and Boron space, haven't found the Argon yet)

Regarding audio, at the start of the game I had terrible staticky noise, fixed that by disabling certain codecs in the LAV filters suite, and now I'm finding that sometimes I can't understand what the Teladi (Specifically the storyline destroyer at the beginning) are saying - some lines are fine, and some kinda sound like they're being butchered by something like EAX. I can tell it's the same actor but it sounds like he's behind a wall or something and I can't quite make out what is being said. Is that by design or do I still have filter issues?

Please tell me the new engine in X-Rebirth will have self-contained audio (and video!) libraries and not have these codec issues?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 30. Aug 13, 19:10

starslab wrote:Does the game get a built-in mapping solution? (I've puttered around in Teladi and Boron space, haven't found the Argon yet)
There wasn't much in the way of a map in X-BTF. This improved in later games. :)
starslab wrote:Regarding audio, at the start of the game I had terrible staticky noise, fixed that by disabling certain codecs in the LAV filters suite, and now I'm finding that sometimes I can't understand what the Teladi (Specifically the storyline destroyer at the beginning) are saying - some lines are fine, and some kinda sound like they're being butchered by something like EAX. I can tell it's the same actor but it sounds like he's behind a wall or something and I can't quite make out what is being said. Is that by design or do I still have filter issues?
The Teladi can indeed be quite hard to understand, but without hearing what you're hearing I can't tell if it's normal or not.
starslab wrote:Please tell me the new engine in X-Rebirth will have self-contained audio (and video!) libraries and not have these codec issues?
X Rebirth doesn't use DirectShow, so while it does use codecs, it shouldn't have the same difficulty persuading Windows to actually give it the right ones. :)

starslab

Post by starslab » Fri, 30. Aug 13, 20:31

So I'm an elite test-pilot flying Earth's most cutting-edge technology and I've just been thrown into this strange X-universe. And this cutting-edge computer system is so advanced that I need to make a map by hand....

With a pen and paper.

I'll chalk that up to "immersion". There should be a notepad floating around in the cockpit with me. :)

Thanks for the help.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 30. Aug 13, 22:59

starslab wrote:I need to make a map by hand....

With a pen and paper.
Think of it as a right of passage. We all went through it. :)

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”