Not posting!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Blixum

Not posting!

Post by Blixum » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 11:42

What is it about the moderators on this forum. I cannot read a single post without a moderator wailing on someone for resurecting an ancient post or asking a question thats been asked any time in the last 5 years. I refuse to read X million posts on two thousand five hundred pages to see if my question has been asked before and run the risk of being moaned at if I reply to an existing post thats older than 3 weeks.

Get a life guys!

(C'mon! Delete this why don't you?)
This is a sig. There would be a really witty remark here but I can't be bothered.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 12:21

Awww life is so cruel aint it :)

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 12:48

The moderators do not actually set the rules, just enforce them. Not resurrecting threads that are years old is a common enough rule on a forum. Especially on a forum about a game whereby threads that are years out of date will not have the correct information in them.
If you have a question.. Make a new topic :)

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 12:54

IMO, the reason of not resurrecting old posts is that they may not be relevant anymore.
Quite often, I google for the answer instead of searching in the forums. I may still be directed to the forums, but google counts how relevant it is, NOT how good the answer is.
For example, a question of 2 years ago about complex building may have hundreds of replies, but things may have changed in the meantime through patches, or better ways to build, etc. And if that new post has fewer hits, it may not show up. Basically you're looking at old, outdated information.

As for not allowing to ask questions...I find that is generally not the case. Ofcourse, that may be different for you. When I just started, I had a ton of questions, and at one point someone directed me to RayF's post "General Questions about Anything and Everything". You can ask your questions there instead of making a whole lot of new posts.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 12:58

Yeah, but it takes one button click either way - to post or make a thread. How can that hurt..?

Oh okay you got to enter a title for a thread as well...

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 13:11

It's more about filling up the entire forum with topics, all yours, each with a single question.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 13:20

Mousse9 wrote:It's more about filling up the entire forum with topics, all yours, each with a single question.
Thats nice i think. Much better to search. Don't like long threads that take many directions, i cant ever find the info in them later.
Or i realize too late the topic is now a differrent game then it was at start :)

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 13:23

Until everybody does it, then your topic will get bumped to the second page in a few minutes, and nobody will have seen or answered it.

"Where's my topic? Oh, it's on page 5..."

Not dissing on this, because I see your point, but I don't really see a way to solve this.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 13:27

Mousse9 wrote:Until everybody does it, then your topic will get bumped to the second page in a few minutes, and nobody will have seen or answered it.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Never had this problem on these forums. When i saw it happen there was a problem with the question usually.

Mousse9
x3tc

Post by Mousse9 » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 13:37

Whoops, I shouldn't edit right after posting. Screws up other people's replies.

To be honest, I haven't really read anywhere that it is a RULE not to post a lot of questions. Just that it's kinda impolite to spam up the forum.

Maybe one of the mods could answer this better.

marksman021
x4

Post by marksman021 » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 18:01

well, you can always post one tread and stick a bunch of your questions in it.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 18:20

LOL Blixum, joined today and 1 post, yes, one, this one. That's what I call trollollollol :p

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 7. Sep 13, 18:25

And at this point.

Click.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”