X2 The Threat save game limit

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

phalacas

X2 The Threat save game limit

Post by phalacas » Mon, 16. Sep 13, 15:00

Does anybody know how to save more than 3 games at a time in version 1.5 using Windows 7? I only know about the 3 autosaves when I dock after pressing Esc key, after hearing welcome. And the way to save using salvage insurance from Goner Temple. Copying X00.sav to another folder & later pasting it back has not worked, after more autosaves. Is there a way to avoid autosaving when docking? Pete

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 16. Sep 13, 15:15

I'm a bit perplexed as to what the problem you're having is. The game keeps 3 autosaves and gives you another 20 manual savegame slots. The latter are not affected by autosaves so there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to copy them elsewhere and copy them back in even if you did run out of slots.

Are you not seeing the 20 slots when you save manually? And when you say it "doesn't work" copying a savegame out and back in again, what exactly do you mean by that?

phalacas

Post by phalacas » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 13:54

Thanks for clarifying that games saved at stations do not use salvage insurance, solving my primary problem. My only save file appears to be x00.sav & I copy/pasted it into another folder (say folder 1) with 6 savegames. I then played & added another 3 savegames. I then cut/paste x00.sav to folder 2. I then cut/paste from folder 1 back to default folder, hoping to see only 6 savegames. I saw 9. So my secondary problem remains unresolved, how do I save more than 23 games?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 17. Sep 13, 15:25

You can't have more than 23 savegames available at any one time. The game supports 20 manual slots and 3 auto-save slots, and that's fixed.

You can, however, copy them out and back in again to manually store additional savegames elsewhere. That process works fine, so you must be doing something peculiar or something must be happening that you've not mentioned in order for it not to be working for you. I still don't fully understand what you're doing, or in what way it's not behaving as you'd expect.

A few clarifications in case they are relevant:

• The 23 slots are numbered "X00.sav" to "X22.sav" with the auto-save ones at the end.
• Files with any other names, including things like "Copy of X00.sav" will be ignored.
• Overwriting one file with another of the same name will, of course, mean the overwritten one is not available.
• Files with different numbers will be listed separately even if their content is the same.

Note that shortcuts will not work, and that all files need to be in the game folder itself (unlike later games which used sub-folders in My Documents).

phalacas

Post by phalacas » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 11:04

I searched my computer system for X00.sav & found it in the default folder as well as the other 2 folders I created for backup purposes, only. None of those 3 folders had any other .sav files. It sounds like I should have at least 7 .sav files in one of those folders. My qvsoftware-Replay CD had version 1.4 & I ran last 3 patches: AL script-No copy protect-1.5

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 11:20

The only folder that is of interest is the one the game is installed in. If you're not sure where it is then you can find that by looking at the shortcut that you use to launch the game. The game does not read files from anywhere else, so if you're seeing several savegames in the Load menu then that's where the files are. If you're not seeing them then either you are looking in the wrong place or you have some strange settings in Windows Explorer that are preventing you from seeing them.

phalacas

Post by phalacas » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 08:26

I launch from the Start menu, which is mapped to C:\Program Files (x86)\EGOSOFT\X2 - The Threat. That is the path that I have been referring to as my default folder. The only change I did to Windows Explorer is to Show hidden files. Perhaps my anomaly is due to starting my game before running the patches, causing all of my saves to be stored in X00.sav. 23 save slots is enough anyway.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 10:15

phalacas wrote:Perhaps my anomaly is due to starting my game before running the patches, causing all of my saves to be stored in X00.sav.
Er, no. Patches have no bearing on this, and each file contains one savegame. There will always be exactly one entry in the in-game savegame listing for each correctly-named file in the correct folder.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 20. Sep 13, 00:00

Your problem is most likely related to Windows 7's VirtualStore feature. In short, it prevents an application from saving to it's physical location if the application is installed in the Program Files subdirectories. Instead, it stores such saves in a virtual location that is linked to the original directory. For more information, check out Microsoft's support site here.

My solution to this problem is simply to install the game into a different location on the hard drive, such as a top level directory called 'Games'. Later games don't have this issue because they were designed with virtualstore in mind and so put the saves in the User folder.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

phalacas

Post by phalacas » Fri, 20. Sep 13, 13:30

Thanks. I will try that if I need more save slots.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”