Albion Prelude 'Invalid Key'

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Gvozdika
x3ap

Albion Prelude 'Invalid Key'

Post by Gvozdika » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 17:19

I purchased the Terran War Pack (includes TC and AP). You are given two codes on the back of the manual to use during the installation to activate with STEAM - I try the first code - it comes up as invalid and won't let me install TC. So I figure I've been putting in the wrong code and use the other one to activate TC on STEAM - it works and installs no problem.
:)

I then try to install AP - but the other code doesn't work. I try retyping and checking and triple checking - still comes up as 'Invalid Key' according to STEAM. Due to the way the install works - I can't begin installing AP until STEAM accepts a valid code.
:evil:

HOWEVER; when I click 'register' TC with Egosoft via STEAM - I check my Egosoft profile and the registration code is for 'Albion Prelude'! I even use the code which activated TC on STEAM - it shows up again as 'Albion Prelude'!. No mention of TC in my profile.

The only trouble is I have NOT got Albion Prelude installed successfully; just TC! Help!

BTW - have browsed through some other posts re: AP code issues. Just to clarify which codes worked and which did not. 'As' being letters and '1s' being numbers.

AAAAA-AA1AA-AAA11 format DID NOT work

1AA11-1AA11-1AAAA format DID work for installing TC (but shows up as AP in my forum profile....)

Carlo the Curious
x4

Re: Albion Prelude 'Invalid Key'

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 19:26

Gvozdika wrote:1AA11-1AA11-1AAAA format DID work for installing TC (but shows up as AP in my forum profile....)
fwiw, your profile has "X3TC post X3AP (3.1.1), Terran War Pack X3TC (3.2)". There isn't an AP-only code, as far as I know.

That's probably not related to your install issues though.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 20:36

You only need one registration for both X3TC and X3AP, the latter being an expansion of the former. Forum registrations and game ticks have no bearing whatsoever on game play and installation.

The X3AP game is entirely installed (apart from the exe file) in a folder called 'addon' in the X3TC gamefiles in Steam. FAQ.

If you have any issues at all with either Steam game then your first action should be this.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gvozdika
x3ap

Post by Gvozdika » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 21:10

First, thanks for the reply and suggestions. I've looked through the Steamapps folder/Terran Conflict according to the FAQ link and can find absolutely no sign of Albion Prelude's 'addon' folder.

The STEAM client also has no entry in the game library on which I can verify the files apart from Terran Conflict. It verifies TC okay; but then I'm back to square one again (where I have TC but no AP).

In a further development; I've tried to manually open the AP setup from the CD. I get to the usual 'confirm' activation code; so I enter in the code which worked - it then accepts this and says 'you are now about to install albion prelude' - then a STEAM dialog box appears telling me that 'this game cannot be installed'.

I just want to exhaust as many options as possible before getting back to the retailer and asking for a refund...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 21:45

Ah wait. Is X3TC fully installed and updated by Steam? - Verify that at least using the Steam verify tool. You will not see X3AP as a steam download option until X3TC is fully playable (ie completely installed).

Gvozdika
x3ap

Post by Gvozdika » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 22:18

Have verified Terran Conflict as you said; and even opened and played the game - it's playable and seems absolutely fine - just still no sign of Albion Prelude.

Would it be worth uninstalling and reinstalling again - see if AP is correctly added along with TC?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 22:26

No I think this could be another Steam support ticket issue I'm afraid. See this thread. I'm sorry that you are being messed around over the installation and recognition by Steam. In that linked thread, Steam support seemed to sort it out pretty quickly - almost as if they already knew about this type of issue!

Come back here if Steam give you any hassle or the run-around and I'll see if Egosoft can apply pressure if needed.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Wed, 25. Sep 13, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Gvozdika
x3ap

Post by Gvozdika » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 22:30

Okay, thanks for the input nonetheless. I'll try to follow up with Steam Support; failing that I'll chase up the retailer.

Thanks again.

Gvozdika
x3ap

Post by Gvozdika » Fri, 27. Sep 13, 12:06

Logged a Steam Support Ticket with as much information as possible on Wednesday evening. No reply yet.... Any ideas as to how long they take to get back on these things?

I've also contacted the retailer who sold me the item; explained the situation and they're happy to exchange it if the technical support route doesn't work.

However; how do I know that the same thing will not happen again?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 27. Sep 13, 16:08

If Steam has not replied by late next Monday then post here. We cannot answer for nor predict Steam support unfortunately but Egosoft have been known to ease the way past obstacles in the past.

The retailer is being nice but the installation you get will probably be exactly the same if you change to another of the same product and will have the same issues. Steam are the right people to sort this out and it will be as easy as them just enabling your X3AP download on your account at their end.

Gvozdika
x3ap

Post by Gvozdika » Fri, 27. Sep 13, 16:45

Okay; thanks.

Gvozdika
x3ap

Post by Gvozdika » Tue, 1. Oct 13, 22:51

Problem Solved!

STEAM support got in touch a day or two ago - after some going back and forth they came up with the issue this evening.

It transpired that the first letter in the code had been misprinted. Was supposed to be a 'Y' but was printed as a 'V' - it looked identical to the 'V' which was next to it further along in the code. Just a fraction of a milimetre on the print can make so much difference!

May be worth suggesting this for anyone else who is having problems with a wayward code for a DVD version. Besides the obvious candidates (zeros and 'o's) check your 'Y's and 'V's!

Anyhow; thanks for the replies and assistance.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 11:37

Good to hear it is sorted. Actually I had that issue myself, a long time ago: See this! Throw in 2/Z and S/5, O/D/0 and U with Y/V too! I will try to add a reminder about this to the installation Sticky.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”