Modifing weapons and missiles

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

bluetorino
x3tc

Modifing weapons and missiles

Post by bluetorino » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 20:57

I searched around the forums and all the tutorials talk about adding new weapons and ships but I just want to modify existing weapons and missiles in TC and AP. What editors do I need, what files or file types do I need to extract or compile? I generally want to extend the range, fire rate, and power of the weapons. Thanks If I posted in the wrong forum I'm sorry. Just need a little guidance.

Ningyo

Post by Ningyo » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 23:33

Okay, for almost all editing what you want is "X3 editor 2" by Doubleshadow.

To edit missiles you will use its Tfiles editor to open Tmissiles in the Tfiles directory.

To edit lasers you will edit Tlasers, and Tbullets in the Tfiles directory.
Tlasers has the weapon cost, size, rate of fire.
Tbullets has most other stats for the weapon.

After opening these files it should be fairly obvious.

bluetorino
x3tc

Post by bluetorino » Wed, 25. Sep 13, 23:57

Thanks for the help

bluetorino
x3tc

Post by bluetorino » Thu, 26. Sep 13, 00:04

I just tried to open Tbullets and I got an error it says a numerical error occured. Is there another way to open up the TBullets file than using the editor 2 program? I installed ti latest x3 editor.

Graxster
x3tc

Post by Graxster » Fri, 27. Sep 13, 06:58

Been quite a while since I did any modding, but IIRC you should first select the file and extract it. This saves the file as a text file that you can then open in notepad or wordpad, edit, and then repack it into the original. It's something along those lines.

I suggest after extracting it you create a copy of it first and name it something like Original_Tbullets.txt and keep that one unmodified as a reference (or if you ever decide to put it back to its original state you can rename it back and use it for that).

Schultski

Post by Schultski » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 18:58

bluetorino wrote:I just tried to open Tbullets and I got an error it says a numerical error occured. Is there another way to open up the TBullets file than using the editor 2 program? I installed ti latest x3 editor.
Strange...

In my whole MOD-ding life, I've never encounter this 'error' you've encountered.

What steps have you done, starting from installing the game to modifying T values?

Graxter wrote:I suggest after extracting it you create a copy of it first and name it something like Original_Tbullets.txt and keep that one unmodified as a reference (or if you ever decide to put it back to its original state you can rename it back and use it for that).
In my case, this method did 'bricked' my MOD a while back. In my experience to work-around this:
- Open 'X3 Editor 2', then to 'types' folder
- Back-up original T-files, whilst in the same folder
- Modify TBullets and TLasers, instead of using 'T Files Editor' as described, I prefer to use 'Text Viewer'
- Once done, save the edited files

And... WHOALA!!

No more problems for me!

Hope this helps,
Schultski Rheindland
[=] Matsu-Taka [=]
Matsuhiko Takagawa / Schultski Rheindland

Know how to best the X-Universe by one shot?
Push the little 'REBOOT' button on your PC, that should do it...
Try it... it works for me... believe it... it works...

bluetorino
x3tc

Post by bluetorino » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 03:44

I was finally able to edit Tbullets and make the changes I wanted. I used text viewer. Now I want to edit the Tships file. I made all the changes to the ships file but when I play the game the changes I made don't take effect so I open the Tships file and notice all the changes I did was set back to the original values. Like I changed the speed and added another compatible laser to the list on the scimatar and I saved the file. I play the game and no changes happened. I go back and check the file and everything revert back to the original specs. Any ideas? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the help.

Porkins

Post by Porkins » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 17:04

Kind of in the same boat. I tried to alter the lasers and wares in the editor, and after opening the game, all the HUD elements were flickering, and the cockpit view was changed. Would really like to know how to change each ship's lasers and wares without the flickering.

Schultski

Post by Schultski » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 21:07

This is the most notable problems, as it did to me while back...

@ bluetorino,
Possible work-around[s]:
1. Check your file properties, did you happen to modify a read-only files?
2. You said to edit using Text Viewer, but where did you change this file? Inside the main CATs, MOD's CATs, or in 'types' folder?

Please note that the 'types' folder or any other ones in your game's main directory got the very first priority to read, albeit anything you change in both main CATs or MOD's Cats. If there is a 'types' folder, change from there. If you happen to have changed the file in the 'Mods' folder, select it at the game's main launcher menu [where you set up joysticks, levels of shaders, and texturings].

@ Porkins,
Main cockpit view's flickering is due to the called 'scene nodes' line is not exist. However, this is no due to the cause of changing other than TShips.
Possible work-arounds[s]:
1. If you're using X3 Editor 2 then the 'T File Editor', look up to your modified-ship's ID, and then go to the 'Turrets' sub-tab.
2. Then, check the 'cockpit' position and double-click it.
3. Make sure that both 'model' and 'scene node index' are present, representing a bit of directory in 'model' type box and a number in 'scene node index' type one.

Hope these helps,
Schultski Rheindland
[=] Matsu-Taka [=]
Matsuhiko Takagawa / Schultski Rheindland

Know how to best the X-Universe by one shot?
Push the little 'REBOOT' button on your PC, that should do it...
Try it... it works for me... believe it... it works...

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”