Fighter Von Missile-explody [AP, yo]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mistervec
x4

Fighter Von Missile-explody [AP, yo]

Post by mistervec » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 00:08

I love capping fighters. It's fun and can net a big profit for only a few moments worth of work. But these days fighters always seem to spawn with a few missiles and will almost always fire them at me while I'm patiently whittling their hulls down.

This ends with a money-shattering kaboom and a long suffering sigh.

Are there any reasonable solutions to this? Should I tease them into firing their missiles and shoot those out of the sky until the enemy vessel is effectively toothless? Should I switch to ION-D's? Should I abandon fighters in favor the much more time/energy intensive cap ship capping?

Tell a fellow, for his brainmeats thirst for rich, gravy-like knowledge.
General Electric #119T53 Toaster with Stapled-On celeron chipset. 256 megs of toast. Graphics powered by a bit of cardboard with "graffiks" written on the side by a small child.

Masochisto
x3tc

Post by Masochisto » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 00:19

The only improvement I know of is to use faster firing weapons with smaller projectiles so that your risk of hitting the missiles is slightly less - I'm not sure it will be noticeable however.

I don't think and ION D will help you in any way...

It would probably just be best to accept this as one of the pains a fighter pirate must endure.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 01:16

Getting them to fire their missiles earlier is a somewhat viable option. Smack 'em around a bit then circle at something close to their maximum laser range, tauntingly. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't, but in general if they refuse to shoot their missiles at that point they are less likely to shoot them at the critical self destructing moment as well.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

mistervec
x4

Post by mistervec » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 11:10

Okay. I think I solved my problem. I'll post it here for others in case they are curious as well:

More IREs.

I snagged a Nova Vanguard with 25% hull on the used ship market, patched it up, loaded it with IREs and have had a lot more bailouts. I suspect that getting extra hits in means the pilot's more likely to bail before embarking on a grand adventure in self-immolation.

ALSO:

Because it was such a pleasing thing, I found four marines floating about in Grand Exchange. I had JUST purchased a used TP to repair/flip and saw these guys slowly ambling towards the West gate. A quick change in orders and now I have four free fighters to engage in piracy with.

They're pretty good, too! A minimum of three stars in everything, with everyone having 5 stars in at least one thing and four in most of the rest.

I don't know why they were flying about in their space suits, but I will not complain.
General Electric #119T53 Toaster with Stapled-On celeron chipset. 256 megs of toast. Graphics powered by a bit of cardboard with "graffiks" written on the side by a small child.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 14:15

NPCs use marines in AP finally. I caught a few heading back to their M7. Also possible to get some while boarding - they will all jump out the airlock once you started core hack.

I was told too that you can have NPCs try to board you - if you drop shields near an enemy M7M with marines, it has a chance to try to board you (and yes, will take the ship if allowed to finish). Its easy to grab those marines anyway. Got like 1/4th of my army from the enemy ships, and i dont deal with guys below 3star fight skill.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”