Mixing Weapons in Turrets

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

electron_pilot
x3ap

Mixing Weapons in Turrets

Post by electron_pilot » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 11:27

Am I wasting laser energy by mixing multiple weapon types in turrets (or selecting mixed in any manned position) as the targeting computer can only range shots according to the speed of one type?
For instance firing a Phased Repeater Gun (speed 1560) with a Fragmentation Bomb Launcher (speed 359) at a moving target will cause one or the other to miss.
So in my Panther where I can't control all 8 turrets at once should I have a variety of weapons on the ship for close and long distance combat but only one type in any particular turret?
Rick Churchill

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 11:59

the mod MARS fire controll allows turrets to switch weapons during the fight. The mod MEFOS weapon system to if I recall correctly.

EDIT: All wrong info removed, to avoid confusion
Last edited by Sirrobert on Sat, 28. Sep 13, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 18:22

Using Fragmentation Bomb Launchers anywhere, mixed with other weapons or not, is a waste of energy--they pretty much never hit anything. Sirrobert is incorrect in the general case, though--the turret's auto-aim capability will correct for different speeds of shot; you can actually see the shots going in different directions if you mix the guns. The main issue is with guns of differing *ranges*, not speed of shot, because the turret fires all the selected guns as soon as the target comes in range of the longest range one--so if you were to mix, say, CIG and PBE in a turret, the PBEs would be firing uselessly for a long time due to the much greater range of the CIG.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 18:29

pjknibbs wrote:Using Fragmentation Bomb Launchers anywhere, mixed with other weapons or not, is a waste of energy--they pretty much never hit anything. Sirrobert is incorrect in the general case, though--the turret's auto-aim capability will correct for different speeds of shot; you can actually see the shots going in different directions if you mix the guns. The main issue is with guns of differing *ranges*, not speed of shot, because the turret fires all the selected guns as soon as the target comes in range of the longest range one--so if you were to mix, say, CIG and PBE in a turret, the PBEs would be firing uselessly for a long time due to the much greater range of the CIG.
Well, you never play to long to learn I gues. Thanks for correcting me, that opens up a whole new range of options

KayEss
x4

Post by KayEss » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 18:32

pjknibbs wrote:The main issue is with guns of differing *ranges*, not speed of shot, because the turret fires all the selected guns as soon as the target comes in range of the longest range one
Which you can use to your advantage as you can put a single longer range gun in a turret to get it to start shooting earlier at a target coming towards you which can give the turret more time hitting the target.

electron_pilot
x3ap

Post by electron_pilot » Sat, 28. Sep 13, 20:09

Thanks, I'll have to review my strategy and ditch some weapons.
Rick Churchill

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”