Stock Exchange....How do I use it?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

stavros
x4

Stock Exchange....How do I use it?

Post by stavros » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 12:10

As the title says, how do i use the stock exchange as it all looks like numbers to me.
He who fires the first shot, admits he has lost the argument

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 13:40

look for a volatile commodity and watch it.
If it moves up and down fairly quickly buy it at bottom dollar and sell when the price gets near its max. Rinse & repeat.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 15:16

Look at the Naturals category as it moves up and down the fastest.

You have an index number for each commodity, and it's color-coded; if the index is close to 100 or anywhere in the 101-200 range, you're supposed to buy. Then wait for the index to drop to as low as possible (20-40 range) and sell. You also have a column on the right that tells you your current profits if you sell NOW at the current prices, also color-coded.

The trick is to get a feel for what goods to trade in, and where.

Where:
Some exchanges (Boron ones for example) have most of the items at 200 index and they almost never drop; you can't make a profit unless they drop below 100 so that limits your choices of goods. Other exchanges (Teladi for example) have most of the goods hover at an index of 10-30 and they rarely rise to 100. This means you have to write down the min and max, as you don't get the benefit of color coding or the index=100 threshold for deciding when to buy or sell.

What goods:
Jump drive components, terran goods, artifacts, weapon interfaces, green blue and black crystals, and a few other commodities go up and down regularly, allowing you to buy and sell often and thus make profit fast. Others stay at 200 and never go down, and others stay at 10 or so and never go up.

The stock exchanges can turn a small sum (200k) into 10-15 million pretty fast, but after that the time spent and effort don't match the return. So if you're at the start of your game and need some startup cash, it's great, but if you're in the middle and need 100 million or more - trading, missions, or capturing and selling ships will be much much faster at making that kind of money.

Other than Naturals, the other commodities are linked to the actual supply and demand in the area (for example ore depends on the presence of mines and the NPC trade). You can make a huge profit if you control the supply and demand (with your own traders and destroying the NPC mines), but that's difficult to do. As an almost-exploit, it's easy to do with Nividium because there are no NPC mines or traders, just you.

The corporate stock exchanges are longer term in that you're supposed to invest in a corporation and then wait a week or a month for something to happen (plot progression?) for the stock to move up or down.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”