X3: TC, Rebirth - Multi monitor love?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

eddieg
x4

X3: TC, Rebirth - Multi monitor love?

Post by eddieg » Tue, 1. Oct 13, 21:58

Does X3:TC do anything smart with multiple monitors?
I have an opportunity to have two widescreens side by side -- worth it?
I also small USB Monitor (like 7? 9?) that I could use... can X3:TC display the "monitors", well, in other monitors?

And does anyone know if Rebirth is getting better?

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Tue, 1. Oct 13, 22:52

X3TC/AP: No. You cannot move the user interface elements, so even if you stretch the game across two screens it just makes it hard to aim cause the split will be right down the middle.

I use the second screen to display an out-of-game universe map with color-coded sectors and extra information, as well as various gun and missile statistics.

Rebirth: Probably not. Rebirth gives you one ship with a fixed cockpit, so again you cannot move the various user interface elements (because they're attached to the cockpit), so you're SOL with 2 screens.

eddieg
x4

Post by eddieg » Tue, 1. Oct 13, 22:55

by out of game, you mean you run one of the x3 map apps, or whatever, and run x3 tc in window mode just maximized across mon 1? Might...

Wish I could have the encyclopedia handy at all times... has anyone done an ipad app? pdf export? ...

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 00:43

Messy , but feasable to have two games runninning...one on each of the monitors.
It would involve other software or clever windows jiggery to achieve this.
But you could play on one screen and load your save positon into the other game on the other screen.
Then use Alt/Tab to swap for references.

However, it is much easier to have external info on one monitor and the game on the other.

eg,
When building complexes, I would have Xadrian up and running on my second monitor and have my main monitor showing the game.
Multi monitor support is found in X2 The threat, but we lost it with Reunion.
However, if you get round to three monitors with graphic card support for tripple display, it may be worth looking into.

dubnium
x3tc

Post by dubnium » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 00:45

2 monitors is an "odd" number for the purposes of multi-screen gaming, the bezels in the middle suck. 3 monitors should work, i think, but don't quote me on that. what i do is put my 2nd monitor at an angle and to the side of my main monitor, which remains straight in front of my face. i use the second monitor for useful information or watching movies.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 09:02

dubnium wrote:2 monitors is an "odd" number for the purposes of multi-screen gaming, the bezels in the middle suck.
X2 handled it OK--it would put the main cockpit on one of the monitors and allow you to put the in-game monitors on the other screen. Mind you, X2 allowed 4 (or was it 5?) in-game monitor views to be open at once, rather than the 2 X3 allows!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”