Tiger Towers. (TC)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thelastslaith

Tiger Towers. (TC)

Post by thelastslaith » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 17:19

Ive just managed to equip my first Tiger with IBLs and its well just awsome with so much firepower I dive at xeon capitals.

I was just thinking though with all of its big weapons facing forwards, would it be possible to create a almost ring of fire situation if you could make them stay still in a small squad near a gate? Im thinking like in the way that people try to block off xeon sectors.

4 of them would be 48 IBLs aimed at a gate with a range of 6km

Is that possible? all it would take is a Stay doggy command lol
TLS

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 19:38

Not sure about this I tend to use the defend position command with attack nearest enemy to support ships for the defender that might work though you have to check your defender does not stray too far over time.

If they were all set to defend overlapping positions that might do it.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 2. Oct 13, 19:46

You can get them to stay still if you give them the 'none' command, and set their turrets to 'attack enemies'. However, this doesn't work when you're out of the sector because turret commands are not active then.

So no, I don't think you can accomplish what you want to do. They only fire their main guns when on the move because they have to move around to line up with a target. The only reason lasertowers work they way they do, and they're classified as 'ships', too, is because they have 0 maximum velocity.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 00:58

Orbital weapons platforms were ostensibly designed for this purpose, but actually using them is getting into modding territory, and I've not used any of the mods that aim to make them usable, so I can't help you there.

Otherwise you could block the gate with a properly orientated Solar Power Plant M; anything leaving the gate will crash into the station like flies to a web. It'll get destroyed if enough large ships pass through it, but the debris it'll leave is invulnerable (and still damages impacting objects) until it despawns.

thelastslaith

Post by thelastslaith » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 01:10

so would only work as setting a ambush.

Is it possible to actually lure ships through a gate?
TLS

thelastslaith

Post by thelastslaith » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 10:57

The solar power plant idea sounds great. And in theory once its just debris it wouldn't inflict any rep loss no matter what. I assume this doesnt do anything out of sector tho.
TLS

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 12:29

The main issue with this is that although the Tiger can put out a fair bit of firepower, it's shields are not of a calibre that they could withstand an OOS barrage from a Xenon capital.

For blockading Xenon gates, an M2 such as an Osaka, Tyr or Boreas, armed to the teeth with PSP or PPC with a group of 10 M4 (I personally use Pikes) would stand a much better chance of survival. You will lose some of the M4 over time, but they can be easily replaced at a lot less expense than a Tiger!

The Solar Power Plant idea will not work OOS as the collision detection works differently.

thelastslaith

Post by thelastslaith » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 14:04

Still not really done much OOS fighting yet/ever before in previous games. But the Solar power plant idea might work with the balance of power plot im part way through. might be able to kill the tyrs potentially aswell possibly without a rep loss. (even though Im considering trying to go for a huge fight at the cost of terran rep then just try and wipe out them as a race).
TLS

Masochisto
x3tc

Post by Masochisto » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 15:23

The solar power plant is a very expensive idea... And as far as I know it would still result in reputation loss if an npc dies due to crashing into your station.

If you are simply trying to kill a large ship there are other ways to do it, missiles, etc.

The best way to blockade a gate is to setup a couple of cheap, large stations about 5k away from the gate with defenders or laser towers near them. It's a time tested tactic going back to X2.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 18:35

Best way to blockade a gate is to reroute the gate.

Eisenheim
x3tc

Post by Eisenheim » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 19:30

What about blocking a gate with an asteroid/mine?
"Wir alle sind Riesen, die von Zwergen erzogen wurden und sich deshalb angewöhnt haben mit einem krummen Buckel herumzulaufen"
"We are all giants, raised by pygmies, who have learned to walk with a perpetual mental crouch."
-R.A. Wilson

Merke: Mille heisst Tausend !

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 19:39

You do realize that the gate blocking idea only works while you're in sector, as collision detection is turned off when you leave the sector, right?
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Eisenheim
x3tc

Post by Eisenheim » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 19:46

Oh. Yes. Now that you say :oops:

:lol:
"Wir alle sind Riesen, die von Zwergen erzogen wurden und sich deshalb angewöhnt haben mit einem krummen Buckel herumzulaufen"
"We are all giants, raised by pygmies, who have learned to walk with a perpetual mental crouch."
-R.A. Wilson

Merke: Mille heisst Tausend !

Masochisto
x3tc

Post by Masochisto » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 19:57

Threesixtyci wrote:Best way to blockade a gate is to reroute the gate.
I prefer not to have Xenon traffic flying through my Hub

thelastslaith

Post by thelastslaith » Thu, 3. Oct 13, 22:30

I do understand that a station won't work OOS.

But when I get to the point where the four Tyres In Balance of power are chasing me following me sector to sector I could plant a solar powerplant XL, Destroy it.

Then in theory When I jump into system in a small ship I can fly through the SPP/ between the gaps while they crash into. This wouldn't be a collision with my property, it would just be a crash into ownerless debris shapped like a big mesh.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?
TLS

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Sat, 5. Oct 13, 02:38

Couple of different things going on. There's a large distinction between OOS and IS with all of the ideas mentioned.
Would a ring of tigers pointed at a gate at ~5km pwn? IS yes they would. But due to shot flight times, the possibility exists that one may eat enough return fire to die tho.
OOS it's all a numbers game, just use the usual gate blockade methods...

If you want to use stations to kill em, just station bomb them. Buy several of the cheapest stations you can and literally place them on the enemies whilst IS.

If you want kill tons of things use missiles. Jump the firing ship out to avoid rep hit if that's how you wanna roll. But I'd just enjoy the chance to go to town on them myself. It's not often you get so many things to play with.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”