Supplying my Factories

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Theburn

Supplying my Factories

Post by Theburn » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 01:19

Hello again.

I have an SPP, in a complex in Home of Light, full on E-cells. I also have a mining complex in Antigone, running low on E-cells. I want the first to send E-cells to the latter.

I know I read once, when skimming things weeks ago, about how to set this so it happen indefinitely. But for the life of me, when I need it now, I can't find the thread.

So can anyone tell me how to do this?
Playing TC, no bonus pack so vanilla way please.
Mind, heart, and body shattered. But, the will survives.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 01:27

The Bonus Pack is considered 'vanilla', and you need it to do what you want. You need the Commodity Logistics software from said bonus pack.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Theburn

Post by Theburn » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 01:55

Bummer. I guess it's time for me to acquire bonus package. To bad it wasn't something standard to the game, as it makes sense.

So I assume then that the logistics software is self explanatory on how to use it?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 06:53

Logistics software is like gunpowder. Lighting it on fire is very simple, and makes a very satisfying noise. A little skill and you pack it in a cartridge and punch holes in things at the far end of a football field...same gunpowder. A lot of skill you implode skyscrapers without getting dust on the sidewalks...same gunpowder.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Theburn

Post by Theburn » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 07:54

Well I got the bonus pack. Simple to use logistics software once you know what the commands do.

Problem is the trader won't jump. He just flies from Home of Light all the way to Antigone. His level is 3rd or 4th, capable of jumping, has E-cells, min jump dist set to 0, base max jump set to 6, and allowed to use his jump drive. So what gives? Why won't he jump?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 08:02

CLS has internal jump drive settings that override the regular settings. Did you set those?

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Theburn

Post by Theburn » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 16:30

Ya, I set those too.

Funnily enough. After my last post right before shutting it down for the evening I noticed him docking at the consumer station within a minute of his previous docking. Then saw him leave said station, and the unmistakeable jump effect followed. Guess his jump script finally kicked in. Guess they can't use jump drives until about halfway through cargo messenger level.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 18:20

CAGs and CLS's need to level up before they can use jump drives.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=276039

CLS:

Code: Select all

Jumpdrive settings

The pilot can use the modern Jumpdrive technology once he is at least Cargo Messenger. Here you can change the conditions under which the Jumpdrive is to be used.

Use Jumpdrive
In normal conditions, pilots don't use the Jump Drive. You can change this here.

Jumpdrive energy
If you don't change this order, the pilot will hold a Jumpdrive energy reserve of 10 percent of his cargo space. If his journeys are very short or very long, you can change his Jumpdrive energy reserve here.

Minimum jump range
To conserve jump-drive energy you can set your pilot a minimum-jump-range.

Restore defaults
This command resets these settings to their default values.
Cargo Messenger would be 3 level ups.

Code: Select all

Apprentice
The apprentice is able to collect one product from one supplier and to deliver it to up to three consumers (excluding equipment docks and trading stations). The apprentice is carrying out his probationary period in your enterprise and doesn't get a salary during this time.

Courier
The courier is able to collect two products from up to two suppliers and deliver them to up to five consumers. Additionally, he will be able to deliver commodities to equipment docks and trading stations. The courier receives a wage of 10 credits per Mizura flown, paid after completing each trip.

Supplier
The supplier is able to collect three products from up to three suppliers and deliver them to up to five consumers. Additionally, he will be able to supply TL class ships. He will also equip his ship with more speed and agility, and fighter drones if they can be purchased in the current sector. The supplier receives a wage of 15 credits per Mizura flown, paid on completion of each trip.

Cargo Messenger
The cargo messenger is able to distribute four products from five suppliers to ten consumers. He is also able to use modern Jumpdrive technology to move around more quickly. The cargo messenger is paid a wage of 30 credits per Mizura flown, paid after each trip.

Forwarding Agent
The forwarding agent is able to distribute five products from five suppliers to ten consumers. Furthermore, he pays close attention to the commercial radio network and will not enter any sectors in which enemy ships have been reported. The forwarding agent is paid a wage of 35 credits per Mizura flown, paid after each trip.

Logistician
The logistician is able to distribute a unlimited number of products from ten suppliers to twenty consumers. Furthermore, he will repair his ship on his own by visiting a shipyard if necessary. The logistician is paid a wage of 40 credits per Mizura flown, payable after each trip.

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 23:40

Also, having hit Cargo Messenger he has to go and buy e-cells for his jump, any you may have given him wont count. It may have been him finishing his current job then hiking for cells. If you gave him a 'refuel jump energy' waypoint somewhere then he'll fuel there, but any other time they wind up short they start hiking to the nearest SPPs.

He will also gather mossies for MissileDef at some point, once again giving him some has no effect and he'll buy anyway, likewise drones. They kit themselves out regardless of what you may have installed for them so only give em the softwares and JD itself. Note that which equipment they buy will depend on which lvl of fight command you gave em.

Plus as mentioned. Bonus pack is considered to be vanilla round here. No modded tag, community-authored scripts that were considered awesome enough to be officially supported. All green.

Theburn

Post by Theburn » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 00:24

Don't worry people I already stated that he started using it. Although well into cargo messenger before 1st time. But thank you all, and I appreciate your help.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 00:49

Timsup2nothin wrote:Logistics software is like gunpowder. Lighting it on fire is very simple, and makes a very satisfying noise. A little skill and you pack it in a cartridge and punch holes in things at the far end of a football field...same gunpowder. A lot of skill you implode skyscrapers without getting dust on the sidewalks...same gunpowder.
That is one impressive analogy. Very correct one to

Even though they don't actually use gunpowder for skyscrapers :lol:
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 02:26

Sirrobert wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:Logistics software is like gunpowder. Lighting it on fire is very simple, and makes a very satisfying noise. A little skill and you pack it in a cartridge and punch holes in things at the far end of a football field...same gunpowder. A lot of skill you implode skyscrapers without getting dust on the sidewalks...same gunpowder.
That is one impressive analogy. Very correct one to

Even though they don't actually use gunpowder for skyscrapers :lol:
Depends on whether the demolition is sanctioned or not. :pirat:

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

insolent1
x3tc

Post by insolent1 » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 16:58

Use the trading station in Herron's Nebula to hire your pilots as when CLS/CAG is initiated/hired from this station the pilots come with experience, often you will get cargo messengers.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 17:28

insolent1 wrote:Use the trading station in Herron's Nebula to hire your pilots as when CLS/CAG is initiated/hired from this station the pilots come with experience, often you will get cargo messengers.
While this is true, the value of it is frequently misunderstood.

When you hire these experienced pilots you do get a better pilot, so if you have an immediate need for a cargo messenger it's a great thing. However the experienced pilot takes the exact same time to progress to their next level as an apprentice would take to progress to that same level. So if your objective is to get a logistician pilot and you think this will give you a 'head start', rethink because it won't.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 20:17

Timsup2nothin wrote:...However the experienced pilot takes the exact same time to progress to their next level as an apprentice would take to progress to that same level. ...
What? That makes no sense. A cargo messenger is a cargo messenger, no matter where it comes from. Please explain why getting one from the HN trading station should make them different.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 20:32

Nanook wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:...However the experienced pilot takes the exact same time to progress to their next level as an apprentice would take to progress to that same level. ...
What? That makes no sense. A cargo messenger is a cargo messenger, no matter where it comes from. Please explain why getting one from the HN trading station should make them different.
My observation is that it takes a certain amount of flight time to promote to a particular rank. That would be eight hours for a Forwarding Agent. The script apparently does not distinguish between two as apprentice plus two as courier plus two as supplier plus two as cargo messenger and just starting off as a cargo messenger and flying for eight hours.

I didn't claim that it made sense...but it does from a programming standpoint if you recognize that the promotion to Forwarding Agent is triggered by total flight time hitting eight hours rather than a resetting 'time since last promotion' variable hitting two hours.

The most interesting result of this is when people run a 'training loop' system where their pilots move up to logistician before they put them to any profitable use. Pilot pay is based on current level, so starting with an experienced cargo messenger increases his pay for the first six hours of his training without actually getting him trained any faster.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 23:35

Nanook wrote:
Pilots level up based on flight time. If you hire a Cargo messenger as a cargo messenger, he has 0 hours of flight time.
He levels up the the next level when he has 10 hours of flight time
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 17. Oct 13, 17:23

You should only use HN trained pilots when you need a cargo messenger. Be that for the jump driving or extended waypoints list etc. Saying that, I nearly always need jump capability straight out of the box, and do not care about the time it takes to increase from that rank, so HN pilots are ideal.

I personally do not tend to level up pilots from apprentice whilst on the job. As if I find a job that can be done by an apprentice then I usually lock them at apprentice as they are free. I prefer a fire and forget method, rather than having to move things around from job to job.

If a job needs a logistician then I train them up via the race track method. It takes a while to get going, but once they've started cycling thru then you have logisticians on tap. The wage cost really is negligible.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”