In need of CLS/CAG help PLEASE!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

bebop1225
x3tc

In need of CLS/CAG help PLEASE!

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 09:55

In short i cant find my head from my ass in this scenario it seems.
I want to simply start off having my Haulers us the CAG and or CLS for resource pick up and delivery to my mining complex and solar power complex IE NPC - Player stations. I am just starting out and trying to understand the basics of this system. But for the life of me i cant get it to work nor find anyone's post or videos who cover this basic aspect.

From what i read it should be able to do resource gathering at apprentice correct? automatically? AH a thought just now. Does he need to be leveled up before they will searh other systems for the resources? if thats the case it would explain why the just stit on standby( Correction it does say CAG on standby or CLS on standby this was a typo) in their home system as it has well.... Nothing really except some food factories that where around when I got to it and a trade stations that's naturally empty

So guys.. Talk to me....... Like I am 5 please. Hold my hand tell me its ok for being a retarded man child and walk me through this as I am thoroughly confused and frustrated.

Please oh benevolent forum people I need some help Q__Q .
Last edited by bebop1225 on Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:11

First up. In property (r) it should say 'CAG on standby' and not just 'standby'. If its the latter you need to kick his butt and reissue the start CAG command. If he keeps flipping himself off-duty then theres something wrong, hostiles on undock, full cargohold, high hull damage, something of this ilk.

Now with that out of the way. Yes your noobie apprentice can buy resources, he cant sell till he levels up but he can buy. By default settings he will buy any resource that is below 80% (and sell anything over 20% once that becomes relevant)

He has a trader range you can set through the CAG menu (command console-trade-start cag-trader settings etc etc, somewhere in those options), there is also a trade range you set on the complex itself through 'd' interaction. The trader setting will override the station, lowest applies.

Now assuming the resourcesd are in-range they need to be within price-range. this is the buying price that you have set on the station parameters (d).

Assuming resources are in range and they are available at the right price he should go get them. Note that a CAG pilot draws a wage from somewhere, either player or station wallet and wont fly if its empty. This is NOT your issue as apprentice CAGs fly for free.

Its also worth mentioning to check the 'trade duties' options in the CAG settings. If you accidentally set him as a salesman then he wont do anything since he's not allowed to sell anyway and salesmen dont buy. If its the full hands-off management thing you are after then a CAG with 'Trader' duties is what you want. He starts buying too at rank 2 and then somewhere round 4 gets jumpdrive access.

Hope something in here gets your CAG off his rear-end
Last edited by celem on Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

bebop1225
x3tc

Re: In need of CLS/CAG help PLEASE!

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:13

bebop1225 wrote: if thats the case it would explain why the just stit on standby( Correction it does say CAG on standby or CLS on standby this was a typo) in their home system as it has well.... Nothing really except some food factories that where around when I got to it and a trade stations that's naturally empty

Please oh benevolent forum people I need some help Q__Q .

celem wrote:First up. In property (r) it should say 'CAG on standby' and not just 'standby'. If its the latter you need to kick his butt and reissue the start CAG command. If he keeps flipping himself off-duty then theres something wrong, hostiles on undock, full cargohold, high hull damage, something of this ilk.

Now with that out of the way. Yes your noobie apprentice can buy resources, he cant sell till he levels up but he can buy. By default settings he will buy any resource that is below 80% (and sell anything over 20% once that becomes relevant)

He has a trader range you can set through the CAG menu (command console-trade-start cag-trader settings etc etc, somewhere in those options), there is also a trade range you set on the complex itself through 'd' interaction. The trader setting will override the station, lowest applies.

Now assuming the resourcesd are in-range they need to be within price-range. this is the buying price that you have set on the station parameters (d).

Assuming resources are in range and they are available at the right price he should go get them. Note that a CAG pilot draws a wage from somewhere, either player or station wallet and wont fly if its empty. This is NOT your issue as apprentice CAGs fly for free.
I don't entirely understand what settings and actions you are referring to if you could clarify please Q_Q I mean i know the menus in general you speak up but i need specifics i have messed with this for several hours and have turned up in knots i don't even know what half these settings represent and i cant find explanations for them.

And i have seen nothing on the station or cag or any of it about trade ranges at all so ... I have not idea what your talking about.

Edit: yes home base it set to the facility i want him to bring the resources to.
Last edited by bebop1225 on Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:19, edited 2 times in total.

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:16

Ahh, missed that bit, sorry.

There can be some short delays involved with lower rank pilots. They do take a little longer to spot offers and bargains than senior ranks, but its not ridiculous and he should buy sooner or later, I doubt you were impatient enough for this to be it.

My guess in this case is some combination of ranges and prices is eliminating all the resources sources as viable options. Or that in trying to set it up you accidentally messed something up. Try restoring defaults and walking through it again.

Oh; last minute thought. Does he have his homebase set? He oughta be homebased at the complex

Edit: might be over-kill but lets idiot-proof this, always the best way to find the bug/issue. When you set the buying price for your resources at the plex, there should be a number to the right of it that moves as you alter prices, this is how far you gotta go to find said resource at said price or better. This needs to be below both the pilot and station trading ranges

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:26

Ok point to address on the idito proofing level.

I think i may be misunderstanding what some of the values represent and as you said that is canceling out my orders.

I feel almost certain of it infact since i started messing with it a few hours ago. I don't get notifications of no assigned good or a lack of funds. Though quick question on station funds and sub funds. How do i transfer to them?
I kinda understand setting the transfer limits but their is not a lot of indicator beyond that how it functions.

Back to topic though. How do i know where i am setting the buy and sell prices. I have yet to see a field that just plainly says something akin to " buy at X sell At X etc etc. Also where was this range control you mentioned. On which menu I mean/ what extension component {CAG/CLS) ? and internal or external?

I feel almost certain i have probably looked over those menus several times but frankly the wording and menu construction confuse the hell out a me. Which is incredibly frustrating because so far things have been a breeze up until this particular problem and i feel almost certain if i just better understood the layout and individual control functions i would not be having this issue. The actual concept of running things i full well understand. The technical execution I do not at all.

Edit: while you edit and check. First what properties menu are you referring to ? Also I am not running a complex yet just a single station as i said I just setup this up. I don't know if that makes a difference in the menu layout.
Last edited by bebop1225 on Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:29

Ok. Lets try this from the top down. I'll try and get all the menu options as they appear.

In properties list you click your complex and hit 'd'. Here you set what the factory will pay for each resource it needs as well as what it sells them for. Even if you set 'trade with other races' to 'no' these settings are used by your CAGs so they need to be right.

Each row will have the resource name then two numbers. One is the average ware value, the other is what you are paying/asking. The number furthest right in each ware row (for resources anyway) is the minimum # of gates to find that good at that price. if you spin left or right here you are adjusting the price. If its a resource its a buy price, if its a product its a sell. If the complex considers it an intermediate then its actually both, seperating that gets tricky. As you adjust this price you should see the # of jumps change, or even say None. None is no good, nothing for sale in range at that price. So we need to increase the range we consider

All the way down the bottom of this 'd' complex menu is the trade-range for the station. IIRC its set by default fairly low. Increase it with the right arrow and hit enter to confirm etc, its best if it covers several possible sources.
Right above the range you will also see funds on the station, scroll left to transfer some from the ship, dont forget the enter to confirm the transfer, i miss that a lot

Next the CAG

Properties menu, click the CAG and open his command console-trade-start commercial agent

In here we got a few settings. If you tied these into knots then the best bet is to restore him to default so I know whats going on. its either on the top-level menu in here or might be one layer deeper, i forget exactly where the reset is.

If you leave him at the pure default settings then he should be good to go, they come out of the box with a profile that slots pretty well into a general 'take care of this plex' role.

However some settings you might want; 'Trade duties' - in here you set what you want him to do, buy, sell or both. Trader is the 'both' option that you want on the top option, leave the rest default.

Station Settings. This is where the CAGs own range is, match it to the complex's buy range, it overrides that other range and allows you to have different CAGs with different limits. But the CAG will still not operate outsiude the station's limited area, so higher here than station has no effect.

Also im talking purely about CAGs here and the 'start comercial agent' CLS (internal/external logistics) is a different kettle of fish, CAG is probably better suited for the complex caretaker role you want
Last edited by celem on Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:40

Ok when you say properties to you mean specifically the station parameter menus? As i was trying to access everything through the station command console->station command slot->Administration( Commercial Agent) ADMNCAG function as it seemed to have the more clear layout. I did transfer a few hundred thousand credits to one of my station via the parameter menu however.

IS the advanced setting the jump range you where talking about?

Also what value ( high average minimum) do i want to put my item prices at. And will this effect how my resource gatherers operation or will it only effect NPCs who would check to buy ?

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:44

Yes indeed, station parameters is what you want. By proporties i meant using the 'r' list of everything you own to find your assets, different folks manage their empires different ways i guess.

Station command console is used for v little. you can set up an auto-transfer of funds, the value is the max the station will hold before transfering to global wallet.

Otherwise everything i mentioned about ranges and prices and transfering cash is done in the station parameters or the CAG ship's command console

Edit: ahh i see whats happened here. The settings you have been in are actually the Commercial Agent Manager. Which is a plugin of some kind used to overview your CAGs or something. I also have it but have never actually used it.

CAG is the script on your trade ship that you order to start through his command console. Its governed mainly by the station parameters of the home complex. The thing in the stations' command console I dont know much about and you dont really need (though you may wish to learn it later). If you check my previous post and find the menus im describing, it should line up nicely and before long you oughta have a flying CAG.

Regarding prices. Early on i buy everything average since the CAG cant jump and i want him to buy local. Same with selling, you can see if hes going to be local by the # of gates in the station parameters. Once he's jumping you can tweak them. You are still turning a profit if you buy everything average and sell it all average, just a thinner one.

When it comes to setting trade with npc's to yes then theres a number of things they will buy and some they wont. some sell at average minus 1, some wont sell no matter what, theres a list somewhere on the x-universe forum you can probably search up. If setting this to yes then watch the 'intermediate trading', selling intermediates gets messy.

One last thought... By default CAGs dont jump ever. Remember to go into his 'Jump Drive Settings' while starting his commercial agent software and flip this to yes. That way he will jump once he hits level 4 (assuming you give him a drive)
Last edited by celem on Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:53

Still no dice LEts try this.

I am right now sitting on the commercial agent menu on one of my haulers under configure Commercial agent. All Comercial agent settings have been set to default.

Now what?

My goal is to gather and items X jumps away ( in this case 3) and have the CAG grab it and bring it to my base so it can be put into production dynamically as needed while i am away exploding things and missions.

A step by step How is that supposed to be done?

B How do i then transfer the items that has been built at the station to another station? or should i just merge them into a complex ? Can you do that with mining stations anyway?

I hope we are narrowing things down. Right now I feel like i am grasping at straws. I know its something I am doing but i have no idea what because I don't understand the interface hardly at all.

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 10:59

In the CAG interface of the hauler hit 'Restore Defaults' then escape back out of the menu. Dock him at his home complex, then enter the CAG interface again and hit 'Start commercial agent' to set him running. Then open the 'adjust station parameters' of the station. Find 'Resource Buying Price Limit' and set it high enough that 'jumps' becomes 3. Furthest down under 'Advanced Parameters' the maximum jumps must be more than 3. Just above that is fund transfer. There ought to be at least say 50k in the station, hes probably off to buy a TS full of E-Cells.

That is all that is technically required for that this guy should buy. The rest is finetuning.

Handling the transfer of products from one station of yours to another of yours can be done using the CLS pilots. Its also an option to make a complex if they are in the same system, mines will complex just fine. You may want to move things closer together with tractor beams etc. There are plenty of guides on the intricacies of that side of things. I generally complex anything in the system into one huge blob and CLS between sites.

Edit: Still not working maybe? I've realised just now that some things you've done in the CAG manager earlier may be causing unexpected results. Mine i've never touched. In that station command console advanced slot thing theres a 'restore pricing' under 'complex settings' that you should probably hit. I clicked around the 'station settings' menu a bit too and it seems to move things up the tree as you click them. Check to make sure that your raw resources are not now listed under products. If they are then click them and they should fall back down
Last edited by celem on Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:08

Ok
I did it exactly as you isntructed. Well almost i changed the station parameters first. But that i am fairly sure would not have made a difference.

And then the cag left and went to either buy/check from the local trade station. It would not however go to the resource fab 3 jumps away that i know for a fact has it in large supply. IS this the " fine tuning part" you mentioned?

Also i tried this the very first time i got my hands on this minus the station stuff and he wouldn't move so =/

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:09

Yay its probably working. You will probably find your CAG is buying mosquito missiles and or drones depending on what fight command software you have installed. Just leave him and see what happens, giving them their own doesnt help anyway. He should get himself sorted out sooner or later. I generally find i manually haul a few loads as i start new factories while CAGs get themselves set up.

You probably also need to dump 1-2 product loads manually before he learns to sell

edit: on the off-chance hes actually buying energy locally, well in that case you will need to 'fine-tune' your stations buying price to just below average, since the trading station sells at ave. That way he will head to the fab, though of course only while its selling at ave-1
Last edited by celem on Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:11

Nope he is buying crystal

He is basic remember no missiles or drones yet.

But he has a fully decked out ship software and equipment wise. Fully upgraded to and a jump drive for when he can use it.

While this is definitely progress i still seem to have the problem of being able to direct him where to go. And this local station i assure you has no where near what i need to support even brief operations of my L solar plant.

So what do i do now?

Thank you very much for the help so far btw. I really appreciate it .

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:14

Ahh crystal. Yeah i realised as you were posting that might be it. He will switch to the fab if he buys up everything local, or if you alter the price. He's dynamic and pretty smart, but sticks to the prices and jumpranges of his plex/station. The trading station always sells at average, so a buy price of average minus one will limit him to fabs, or you can set it lower and have him bargain hunt, though this can cause him to sit idle if prices rise in your area.

He may be basic now but dont be surprised if he takes time off to buy his own drones and mossies. He will do this as he levels up of his own accord if the fight command software is installed. Once he is JD ready then you can set the energy reserve he should carry in his jump drive settings (CAG interface). He will sort out his own resupply if your plex does not produce e-cells but will fill at home if it does

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:18

AH now see thats the kinda of thing i need to know.

Ok so part of this no doubt will simply involve some leg work from me to find prices and set accordingly.

ON that note. Satelites i keep hearing about them But i have never seen one for sale in my universe granted i have barely explored it mostly the teladi exchange route from argon prime and some of the space around argon prime down to paranid.

Do you happen to know where they rae normally available?

Also What will it take for my little buddy hear to move goods from 1 station to another IE Power Cless to my mining station so it will produce silicon... To produce more power cells ... SO IT CAN MAKE MORE SILICON WAFERS! IT NEVER ENDS DAMMIT! ... if it ever starts of course.

Also should i train my pilots on some in system stuff in smaller fast ships so they can do more/better?

I saw a few thingies mention that option.

And do you know if ships transferring the pilots VIA cag or CLS need to be in the same station?

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:32

Some price knowledge helps, get familiar with the averages and keep an eye on lwhat local sources are doing. (satellites, yay)

So... satallites. Odd to find a universe thin with them. I typically find the fabs in argon space, red light, home of light, cb southeast and so on. they do trade at some equipment docks, military outposts and so on, though obviously only if the fabs are producing them. Dont forget to use the encyclopedia incase you saw a satellite factory once and forgot where. If you browse the the satellite ware entry it will include a blurb on 'sold at known locations..' You can do this for every object in the game, i played 4 years before i found that..

Your CAG isnt ideal for between stations. If you had another CAG at the mine then it might 'buy' e-cells from the power plant if the sales/buy prices were compatable, its a bit weird and not ideal. Thankfully thats what CLS is designed for. But if they are in the same system you really might want to look into complexing. Its fairly simple once you try and simplifies everything by making it logistically just 1 station with multiple needs and products.

You can train CLS pilots in little M5's, its often called a racetrack. I usually send them round in a 4-system loop somewhere in argon space. This works because CAG and CLS rank up on time-flown rather than any profit style calcs. So its not faster but can be done in cheap ships. Be careful as once they level up they start to suck money from whatever account they are on. So dont just dump a cloud of 20 m5's out and forget them

Yes, transferring pilots between ships requires them to be docked together. Also ensure that the target ship has all the right software, i think you lose the pilot if you try transferring the cls software as whichever order you try leaves him in a ship without software for a bit. I dont risk it anyway

edit: bear in mind CAG and CLS pilots are completely seperate. You cant order your CAG guy to start running CLS without it deleting the CAG pilot and installing a rookie CLS guy instead.

Also off-topic; i'm looking forward to Rebirth where we can manage most of this by just talking to the bloody fools involved. Gives me a proper target for my rage when they misbehave too

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:58

Yeah rebirth is whta got me back playing this when I first bought it it had not been out long and was well... Buggy to say the least. And i bailed at that point . But Now i am giving it another chance and with all the patching version updates and mods its very impressive.

But confusing sometimes some of these mods.

The game itself is interesting if poorly designed on some UI elements like the unmodded trading and so on. Not bad overall just not user friendly exactly.

I hope they learned from that experience with this next one. It looks amazing and god i hope it is.

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:59

BTw can you complex mines with free floating stations? I know nothing on the subject and wanted to ask before i bought.

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 20:46

Yep that works fine. They need to be within 25km of each other. You can move independantly floating mines/stations with the tractor beam. Once put into a complex you can no longer move them.

bebop1225
x3tc

Post by bebop1225 » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 08:04

HURRAY I GOT MY FIRST COMPLEX BUILT TODAY! THANK YOU so much for your help last night. TBH Cag didn't help me much but I believe i understand at least now why it didnt. Which was the inexperience of the pilots and the fact i was dealing with an non complex set of stations which complicated things. But i think i have worked most of that out by setting up a complex hub so that now all I need to do is train the CLS and CAG in order to have them be able to do a wider range of tasks now that my resource allocation problems are gone thanks to a closed loop within the complex.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”