Lets talk fighters x3ap

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chronicon
x3ap

Lets talk fighters x3ap

Post by chronicon » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:50

my favourite fighter is the kea i use it whenever i can and try to equip it on carriers whenever possible

whats yours and why =p

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 11:57

It's a tie between Nova raider and Mamba Raider for me.
Speed is pritty important for me as you can gues :P
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

insolent1
x3tc

Post by insolent1 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 14:04

Personal use?

Venti,Fenrir with the Spitfyre still king of the dogfight

AI

Missiles make fighters a very costly investment

IronMask

Post by IronMask » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 16:30

Out of the ones I've flown, I adore the Mamba Raider and the Yaki Tenjin the most. The Tenjin is a monster with the variety of weapons it can mount on a nine (!) gun from battery. However it is a bit slow if you're used to Raider variants of normal M3's.

Stick an overtuning crate or two in it though, and you're set. Plus is looks awesome.

Baratheon79
x3tc

Post by Baratheon79 » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 16:46

My personal favorite is the Tenjin, and I tend to fly one myself quite a bit, and even use them as carrier fighters. Sure, the shielding is a bit light, but with the kind of damage the thing can dish out, most other fighters don't last long enough to hurt it anyway unless I screw up. Since I play modified and use CODEA in my game, and all my ships get docking computers, the relatively weak shielding (compared to other M3+ fighters) isn't that much of an issue if I can keep the carrier somewhat close to the action. And 8 or 9 of the things launched from a Griffon is easily enough to overwhelm even an M6 (I once watched 8 of them rip a PX to shreds in a matter of seconds, and all the fighters came back pretty much unscathed).

For my personal fighter I use the following loadout:
- 4x HEPT
- 3x PBE
- 2x PBG
- 2x PAC (in the turrets)
(I have each type of weapon in the main battery grouped separately, and switch between them as needed during a fight.)

For AI-controlled fighters in a carrier, I go with a simpler loadout:
- 9x HEPT
- 2x PAC (in the turrets)

In my current game, I've been using a Thor for awhile, and I've been enjoying it. A bit faster than a Tenjin, though more of a pain to arm, but it's a decent little ship. However, I've now managed to acquire a few Tenjins in the new game, so I probably won't use this as much anymore, as I still like that ship better.

For M5's, it's tough to beat the Kestrel, with a top speed of 605 m/s (635 for the pirate version), though I wouldn't trust the AI with something that fast.
Last edited by Baratheon79 on Sun, 20. Oct 13, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 18:15

Mamba Raider is king... speed like a M4, plus back turret for pesky missiles (though the dangerous you can outrun anyway)
And its a real ship. Not like that spitfire thing :roll:
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 18:28

I heavily use the Notus Hauler as my space-superiority fighter. Monster shielding second only to that darned ATF brick. I find the fore and aft turret keeps them alive in a missile storm a bit longer (they are also usually running MDM across the whole fighter wing too). I dont generally pilot these myself since by the time I got the cash to fit one up I have m6's available, so I load them with full HEPTs and PRGs in the turrets for the AI to fool around with.

Major drawback is losing one equates to losing an M6 in financial impact, so the swarm is usually cut with the M4 Solano. shields like an m3 but a bit more ninja, they tend to arrive before the heavier m3 and take the brunt of the hate, them I dont mind replacing in droves.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 19:11

The Eclipse will always have a special place in my heart - strange design aside, 200MJ of shielding isn't to be sniffed at. It's the mighty behemoth of the fighter world.

I do like the Cutlass as well, because the stats are all-round fantastic, and having two EMPCs in each turret gives good fire support even against other M3s. Hell, most of the Commonwealth M6s can't deliver the same DPS in their measly single turret.

jgarriso
x3ap

Post by jgarriso » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 21:49

Still playing TC myself, but my personal fighter is the Advanced Perseus. It's almost as fast as a basic Mamba (209 vs 210) with twice as many shields and significantly more firepower. The downsides are that the cargo bay is crap and it may be the stupidest looking fighter ever. But I'm willing to overlook that. I call mine the Doom Penguin. And it strikes fear into the heart of pirates and Yaki everywhere.

Masochisto
x3tc

Post by Masochisto » Sat, 19. Oct 13, 21:56

I don't spend much time in a fighter in my games, usually a scout, and a corvette for fighting...

When I want to fight but don't have a corvette I like the Solano quite a bit. Just as good as an M3 with a smaller price tag, and its not so powerful or shielded that I can be sloppy. Very similar to a Mamba, which is another fine M3.

Wolvan
x4

Post by Wolvan » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 01:54

Pirate Harrier Vanguard.

For life!
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little influence on society" - Mark Twain

Masochisto
x3tc

Post by Masochisto » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 03:40

Wolvan wrote:Pirate Harrier Vanguard.

For life!
Octopus Sentinel or Die!

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 04:42

Barracuda.

You'll die a lot, but at least you'll die in style. That thing is gorgeous.
Plus it 'feels nice' to fly, and nice thin profile.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 09:50

Blastclaw Prototype is my old love.
With flamethrower, it also becomes really powerful.

Also Cutlass.
Back in X3TC, I used Cutlass to bring down a Xenon K (that was for the first time when I killed a capship with a fighter).

Xperimental shuttle is very nice to have.

Spitfyre is very good thingy to play with.

Also Mamba Vanguard somehow works.

Oh Oh, and not to forget the Xenon Lx. A very good piece of hardware for busting some pirates.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 17:55

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Blastclaw Prototype is my old love.
You could say that about any M3 that can equip it =P
Pirate Harrier Vanguard.
Jaguar Vanguard if you like kamikazee. One hit from a Novas backturret HEPT and you have a hole in your hull. But its so much fun, nobody can catch you. Unless you smear yourself over that somebody unintentionally
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 18:00

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Blastclaw Prototype is my old love.

Also Cutlass.
Back in X3TC, I used Cutlass to bring down a Xenon K (that was for the first time when I killed a capship with a fighter).

Xperimental shuttle is very nice to have.

Spitfyre is very good thingy to play with.

Also Mamba Vanguard somehow works.

Oh Oh, and not to forget the Xenon Lx. A very good piece of hardware for busting some pirates.
Ah, the LX... I wish I could have one myself, but they never seem to spawn on missions. Maybe time to have a peek in a Xenon sector...

crgray

Post by crgray » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 19:23

I used to love the LX on the original X3 (or was it X2?), it was quick and that top turret made a hell of a difference. Alas they tweaked it later versions and it's nowhere near as good

Currently in a Nova Raider in X3AP, but but will probably get a Mamba Raider at some point. I'm another fan of speed, but like to have a rear turret for missile defence. Spitfyre seems a little too overpoweringly fast though.

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 19:56

Yeah I find the Spitfyre almost *too* fast to dogfight in myself. But for that very reason its a beast OOS as its top of the initiative tree.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 20:31

I got my LX just recently.
I was playing the final plot mission of Dirty Bussiness, where you had to fight off those Xenons.

I captured a Xenon I while doing that mission.
Equipped it, and used it to defeat remaining Xenons.

During one of the last waves, a Xenon LX bailed as my Flaks were shooting it. A nice reward for finishing the plot!

Manks
x3tc

Post by Manks » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 20:41

For the more suicidal, the Susanowa Raider. A Mamba Raider that is slightly faster, has a bigger laser reactor, but lacks the rear turret and any semblance of cargo space.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”