Changing Sector Soundtracks

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Slushman

Changing Sector Soundtracks

Post by Slushman » Fri, 25. Oct 13, 06:27

Hey all, I recently tried swapping out the vanilla sector soundtracks for some different songs, but when I launch the game, all the sectors are silent. I followed some directions I saw on a thread here; changing the new song names to their appropriate five digit number names, but none of the new songs are playing. Any idea what I might've done wrong? Thanks in advance!

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Fri, 25. Oct 13, 08:10

Dumb question, but are your new songs MP3 files? If they're .ogg or something they won't work.

Slushman

Post by Slushman » Fri, 25. Oct 13, 09:00

Yeah, I made sure they were mp3, that's why I'm confused.

Schultski

Post by Schultski » Mon, 28. Oct 13, 22:13

Um... another dumb question from Schultski...

What exactly have you done this? From what I am experiencing, there are three ways to do this,

[A] If you happen to change with just replacing items in the 'soundtrack' folder, everything should be self-explanatory, and I don't think that it will leave any bad feedback to both your new and loaded games.

If you happen to change via 'director' folder MODs, remove the first '0 [zero]' for it to work properly. I learned myself when trying to understand how the XRM has those new soundtrack added to it without editing main core files.

This is based heavily on XRM, and to change a particular sector soundtrack via 'director' file, use something like this:

Code: Select all

<find_sector name="AlphaCommand" x="7" y="16"/>
<alter_sector sector="AlphaCommand" music="8402"/>
However, A-F-A-I-K... when using the 'director' file, it is not possible to change the sector[s]'s soundtracks to an existing game, as it will be read 'ONCE'. A new game is explicitly needed for it to make additional changes.

[C] If you happen to change via 'universe' file, it is done via editing in X3-Editor program, but I'm at '50-50 : sure-unsure' state when trying to edit from the 'universe' file, which is located in 'map' folder...

Hope this helps,
Schultski Rheindland
[=] Matsu-Taka [=]
Matsuhiko Takagawa / Schultski Rheindland

Know how to best the X-Universe by one shot?
Push the little 'REBOOT' button on your PC, that should do it...
Try it... it works for me... believe it... it works...

Post by Guest » Wed, 30. Oct 13, 03:38

Schultski wrote:However, A-F-A-I-K... when using the 'director' file, it is not possible to change the sector[s]'s soundtracks to an existing game, as it will be read 'ONCE'. A new game is explicitly needed for it to make additional changes.
... that´s not correct, U can change any background-music of any sector in any point of time in the game :wink: (by using MD-files)

[A] that would alter the background-music of all sectors with the specific sound ID
[C] that´s only possible if U start a new game afterwards ... in other words: any changes made in \maps\x3_universe won't have an effect if U already started a game

Schultski

Post by Schultski » Sat, 2. Nov 13, 21:50

JonfersonSDD wrote: ... that´s not correct, U can change any background-music of any sector in any point of time in the game Wink (by using MD-files)

Of course...
Given the time that I forgot the MD-files and how those files worked in the first place. That's why I've never mentioned them, as I don't know how to use the correct ways to use MD-files...

JonfersonSDD wrote: [C] that´s only possible if U start a new game afterwards ... in other words: any changes made in \maps\x3_universe won't have an effect if U already started a game

So, changing musics other than using those 'MD-files', OR directly replaces the soundtracks, all require new game starts to even have the change, right?

Sincerely,
Schultski Rheindland
[=] Matsu-Taka [=]
Matsuhiko Takagawa / Schultski Rheindland

Know how to best the X-Universe by one shot?
Push the little 'REBOOT' button on your PC, that should do it...
Try it... it works for me... believe it... it works...

Post by Guest » Sun, 3. Nov 13, 17:43

... there are so called "cue"-tags in the md-file, which contain <action> and <condition>, sometimes also <timing>

... ones the condition is checked successfully, the code in <action> will be executed immediately and all sub-cue will be activated
... in case there is also a timing-tag, the acions will be executed after a certain time elapsed, but the sub-cue will immediately be activated, that´s all
... all sub-cue are coded in the <cues>-tag after the <action>-tag

example:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="director.xsl" type="text/xsl" ?>
<director name="test" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="director.xsd">

<cues>

<cue version="1" name="gfddddddddhjfgccdh">

<timing>
        <time exact="15s"/>
      </timing>

<action>
        <do_all>
          <find_sector name="this.reference_sector" x="1" y="3" exact="0"/>
          <do_if value="{sector.exists@this.reference_sector}" exact="1">
            <alter_sector sector="{player.sector}" music="{sector.music@this.reference_sector}"/>
            <incoming_message popup="1" text="... background-music of {sector.name@{player.sector}} changed ..."/>
          </do_if>
        </do_all>
      </action>

</cue>

</cues>

</director>
... this will change 15 seconds after reloading your game the background-music of the current player-sector to the Argon_Prime-background-music
// sub-cues and conditions are not needed here

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”