[X3TC] Weapon stats question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mtlmaks
x3ap

[X3TC] Weapon stats question

Post by mtlmaks » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 00:13

Hi there,
I noticed some differences between weapon stats in the game and on X3TC.RU and Roguey's site. Some examples:

PAC:
In Game: Hull damage 748, shield damage 6000
On X3TC.RU/Roguey: Hull 143, Shield 11500

PRG:
In Game: Hull 765, shield 7200
On X3TC.RU: Hull 72, Shield 680
On Roguey: Hull 217, Shield 1357

HEPT:
In Game: Hull 1500, shield 9400
On X3TC.RU/Roguey: Hull 332, Shield 1995

Most other weapons are more or less off too. Assuming that the in game stats are correct, I'm wondering where those differences come from - have stats changed over different game versions by chance?

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 00:58

In game encyclopedia shows damage per second.
Some other sites, such as X3TC.ru, show damage per shot. (PAC shield damage is likely a typo).
Right on commander !

mtlmaks
x3ap

Post by mtlmaks » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 01:03

Aha, that's interesting. Where do you get that info?

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 01:17

Well if you check my sig you know I am part of a modding team so I can read the game files.
But you do not have to take my word. Just a bit of math.

Damage per shot * rate of fire / time = damage per second
Example PAC shield damage :
1155 * 314 / 60 = 6044 (small difference due to roundings)
Right on commander !

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 02:16

Confirmed, in-game shows DPS, x3tc.ru shows damage per shot.

Damage per shot is important for out-of-sector OOS combat, where your minions do the fighting while you're somewhere else doing something important. Because OOS combat is a turn-based math calculation, with each ship taking 1 shot from all its guns per turn. So the biggest shot wins, and DPS (per-second) is useless because each weapon shoots once, rather than at its normal rate of fire.

So x3tc.ru will help you choose the best weapons for your OOS patrol and remote response ships. Whereas the in-game stats will help you choose the best weapons for your personal ship (which by definition will be in-sector with you personally).

X3AP has improved OOS combat math; the devs have changed it to take into account rate of fire and other factors, so it's more like IS combat. They figured computers improved so processors could handle the extra calculations. X3TC uses the simpler "first shooter wins" script, as it's an earlier game designed to run on older processors.

mtlmaks
x3ap

Post by mtlmaks » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 02:36

Well, that's all very interesting info, that I wasn't aware of before. Thanks a lot guys! :-)

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 04:04

It goes beyond just weapons, in X3TC, by the way.

As an example, the Paranid Agamemnon M7 is considered a very good M7 frigate for OOS combat, as it can fit a large number of IBL weapons and has good shields for an M7. It will kill other M7 vessels that cannot fit as many, or any IBL's, and it will do so very fast.

In-sector, however, the whole aiming and physics engine is enabled, because you're there watching, and the Agamemnon has huge blind spots and bad turret coverage, and the IBL weapons drain its energy very fast, so it will stop shooting after like 3 shots, and then it'll be a sitting duck. Also, the IBL bullet is slow so the weapon misses a lot, and the rate of fire is slower than other M7 class weapons (CIG etc.). So all in all the Agamemnon will probably die in an IS battle, against "weaker" M7's.

By comparison, a Teladi Shrike M7 flown by you (in-sector) has worse shields and fewer IBLs, but you aim those 8 IBL's yourself (they're main guns not turrets) so your 3 shots hit on approach, and then your side Gauss Cannons (ammo-based, no energy) and other smaller turrets take over to finish the enemy on the broadside. The Shrike would die in OOS, but is really versatile in IS, and so is one of the favorite player ships.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 16:11

Has anyone ever tried to outfit something (like maybe a TL?) with loads of mining lasers for an OOS ship? I know I haven't.

Maybe I should try that sometime.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 20:03

Mining doesn't happen by shooting asteroids with mining lasers.

The Mobile Mining Laser is just a weapon that you the player can use to break up the big asteroids into smaller asteroids. NPC ships don't make use of the mobile mining laser, even if it is installed.

Mining is done by the ship flying into the asteroids. If they're small enough the roids get teleported to the cargo hold. If they're too big they split into smaller chunks and the ship takes damage to the shields.

Thus, weapons installed on the mining ship have no effect on the speed of NPC mining.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 23:17

I meant for OOS combat use/calculations.
But I guess the OOS AI wouldn't see them as actual weapons.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Thu, 7. Nov 13, 23:37

Why not ? The MDS has damage values you know.
Actually I tried it so yes it works - but it is not a good weapon.
Right on commander !

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”