TrackIR 5 is an amazing (and inexpensive) asset: please support!

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TedTheMagnificent

TrackIR 5 is an amazing (and inexpensive) asset: please support!

Post by TedTheMagnificent » Wed, 13. Nov 13, 21:30

just purchased a trackir system for alibion and I can't begin to tell you how much more situation aware i am and how much more engaging the game play is in albion. its smooth, i feel like i am actually flying a space craft with the ability to track targets wherever they go; navigate around objectives and obtain missile locks without pointing myself directly at the target or fiddling with a POV knob. Minor religious experience. I specifically made an account on these forums to request this support.
Please support TrackIR!

Nick 031287
x3tc

Post by Nick 031287 » Wed, 13. Nov 13, 21:58

im tepted to get one, how much are they? which ones you get? whats the best one with best price? and will it work well with Rebirth?

Ivorystate

Post by Ivorystate » Wed, 13. Nov 13, 22:14

Isn't TrackIR 5 like 150$? That doesn't sound inexpensive to me considering it's just a gaming accessory. I might consider getting one if it's under 100.
"The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever."
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 13. Nov 13, 22:49

TrackIR5 is not cheap, but worth every penny for Arma and DCS users

JayTee
x4

Post by JayTee » Wed, 13. Nov 13, 22:57

My Dad actually bought one of these ages ago for Flight Simulator. The idea of it working with X-Rebirth has excited me. So much so that I've contacted him and I'm going round to pick it up tomorrow.

The trackIr website does indeed have Albion Prelude listed on its supported titles list, which specifically highlights that the support was specially included for trackIr by the developers.

If this support wasn't carried over from Albion Prelude automatically, for whatever reason, I'd rather the developers focused on bringing eventual Rift support to Rebirth. As I'd prefer to drop a bit more on a peripheral that provides a more immersive experience (when it eventually hits the market).

If it was automatically carried over, I'll be giving it a test drive come Friday when I start my X-Play video series :)

TedTheMagnificent

Post by TedTheMagnificent » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:50

For what it does; I find (for me; I really dislike locked boresight views) it to be very cost effective.

The TrackIR5 is around 145.00 on amazon
the TrackIR4 PRO is 99.95 from TrackIR (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02- ... 4-PRO.html)

I purchased the trackIR5 but really the TrackIR4 PRO is MORE than enough.

TedTheMagnificent

Post by TedTheMagnificent » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:53

The only issues i have with Rift, is; its not in full production yet; and that I believe you cant see your keyboard, or cats, or girlfriend taking your picture as your geeking out.

Malkuth74
x3tc

Post by Malkuth74 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:58

I had mine sititng in box for 3 years. LOL.

Just can't get into it.

Nosfuratu79
x3ap

Post by Nosfuratu79 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:37

I think its just stupid... and a waste of money time and technology
i am simple.. and if its not broke don't fix it

Nos

SanHolo

Post by SanHolo » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 19:17

+1 trackir support.

You guys talk about immersion, trackir in a full 3d cockpit is amazing. Like the DCS black shark (heli sim). The ability to not only look around but to lean towards windows to look up or down is very cool. I realise this more pertinent in a heli than a spacecraft, but still cool.

Another thing when you have trackir set to a loose center view. Is that you get small movements all the time which feels very immersive. Notice for instance, that they use this freehand camera effect all the time in game trailers(all the rebirth videos also).

JayTee
x4

Post by JayTee » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 19:39

I can fully appreciate that the trackIr does indeed provide a more immersive experience compared to the standard setup. But I would like to be able to turn my head one way, without having to glance at my screen sideways to see the result.

Inchronoth
x4

Post by Inchronoth » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 19:52

JayTee wrote:I can fully appreciate that the trackIr does indeed provide a more immersive experience compared to the standard setup. But I would like to be able to turn my head one way, without having to glance at my screen sideways to see the result.

You can scale the movement, so you don't have to look at it sideways :)

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 20:50

The amount of head turning required to see 90 degrees left to 90 degrees right is in the order of moving your head so that your nose points at one side of your screen, then across to the other. It is easy to keep your eyes on the screen, and quickly feels very natural.

Given the limit of vision out of the cockpit, I don't know how much this is going to add to the experience in this particular game, but if you play flightsims, Trackir is fabulous !

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Casualty
x3ap

Post by Casualty » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 21:31

Malkuth74 wrote:I had mine sititng in box for 3 years. LOL.

Just can't get into it.
You can't get into a box? I'd suggest then that the keyboard and mouse might even present you a challenge :P

Seriously tho you will never get into it if it stays in the box now will you.

Casualty
x3ap

Post by Casualty » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 21:35

Nosfuratu79 wrote: i am simple...

Nos
Correct, well done.

korrmuraan
x3tc

Post by korrmuraan » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 22:20

Was this answered? Seems XR could be the game that finally makes me break down and buy the TIR. I've been wanting to get one to build a racing rig w/ anyway.

Shrewd135

Post by Shrewd135 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 22:39

It does actually look amazing..

The price point and support is the question.

piiman

Post by piiman » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 22:42

Ivorystate wrote:Isn't TrackIR 5 like 150$? That doesn't sound inexpensive to me considering it's just a gaming accessory. I might consider getting one if it's under 100.
Well if you're into Flight sims its a must have it also works well in Arma. The program needs to be full 3d for best results. Ego did support it in past versions of X but I heard someone say it might not be supported out of the box.

There are free alternatives if you just want to see if head treacking is worth it or not. Once you decide if you want it or not then TIR is the best solutions out there IMO.

Nomadski
x4

Post by Nomadski » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 07:22

Massive +1 for TrackIR, and for those looking, the sub £100 TrackIR Pro 4 is more than good enough for a brilliant experience.

Teleth

Post by Teleth » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 07:30

If you want inexpensive, purchase a PS3 Eye camera + negative film/floppydisk and then a TrackIR 5 pro clip.
You can use these two actually cheap items to re-create a TrackIR 5 level experience using Facetracknoir + IR tracking addon.
All for $20-40.

TrackIR 5 is overpriced as heck.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”