Minigames, seriously?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SpFiota
xr

Minigames, seriously?

Post by SpFiota » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:39

Yes, I'm aware that I haven't played the game yet.

I have played other games, though, and I despise minigames across the board. I'm as certain that I'm going to despise Rebirth's minigames as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow.

On page 22 of the manual it details the small-talk minigame. There was a video that showed the scanning minigame. I haven't gotten through the entirety of the manual yet, but I'm afraid there will be more of these.

I hope that there is an intrepid modder out there willing to pounce on these minigames and remove them quick.

What audience is Egosoft even catering to here?

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:41

*shrug* I guess it's just a method of keeping the player involved and stop you falling asleep. It's just clicking a button when the slider is moving left and right from what I understood, it's not like it's a QTE or anything lame.

wizaerd
x4

Post by wizaerd » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:42

While I've yet to see how they're put together, for the most part, I'm not a fan of minigames at all. Lock picking in Skyrim and Oblivion used to just plain piss me off because of the minigame...

rtn
x4

Post by rtn » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:46

wizaerd wrote:While I've yet to see how they're put together, for the most part, I'm not a fan of minigames at all. Lock picking in Skyrim and Oblivion used to just plain piss me off because of the minigame...
I would prefer the option in skyrim to stick your shoulder to teh door and bust it open, unless its a heavy iron or cell door that is. I mean how strong could a rickety rotten wooden door have been on a shack in the middle of the woods

BinarySlave

Post by BinarySlave » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:48

BlackDemon wrote:*shrug* I guess it's just a method of keeping the player involved and stop you falling asleep. It's just clicking a button when the slider is moving left and right from what I understood, it's not like it's a QTE or anything lame.
See, and this is what catapults you on top of the "Kardashov Scale". ;)

Qapla
x2

Post by Qapla » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 17:48

This is indeed worying, i usualy hate mini games inside a game.
One of the best space game ever independence war 2 edge of chaos.
the game was OUTSTANDING but late in the game they made some impossible mingames so i gave up with their game.
real sad and so once again worying..

Raider480
x4

Post by Raider480 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:14

BlackDemon wrote:it's not like it's a QTE or anything lame.
How I shudder at even the mention of that initialism.

Nosfuratu79
x3ap

Post by Nosfuratu79 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:27

mini games Rock! dont knock it till you tried it!

Skism
x3tc

Re: Minigames, seriously?

Post by Skism » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:36

SpFiota wrote:Yes, I'm aware that I haven't played the game yet.

I have played other games, though, and I despise minigames across the board. I'm as certain that I'm going to despise Rebirth's minigames as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow.

On page 22 of the manual it details the small-talk minigame. There was a video that showed the scanning minigame. I haven't gotten through the entirety of the manual yet, but I'm afraid there will be more of these.

I hope that there is an intrepid modder out there willing to pounce on these minigames and remove them quick.

What audience is Egosoft even catering to here?
Can I just point out that several games I own have mini games and I love them.

The hacking mini game in Deus ex Human Revolution
The hacking in SC chaos theory
The battle autoresolve in Rome 2
Snakes in Timesplitter
Sea battles in Empire Total war or NTW
Pazzack in KOTOR http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pazaak
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Malkuth74
x3tc

Post by Malkuth74 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:37

The small talk mini games seems incredibly simple. I don't think its going to kill us. In fact it might be so simple its just annoying.

geldonyetich
x4

Post by geldonyetich » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:39

I don't think mini games themselves are necessarily a bad idea. It comes down to the specific circumstances of their implementation and whether they add more to the game than they take away.

For example... hmm, I don't think I minded the implementation of the mini-games in Alpha Protocol or the new Deus Ex.

PromX
x4

Post by PromX » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:42

Im ok with it, if it is better than the one in Oblivion :)

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:48

People have vague ideas as to what minigame encompasses. Changing lanes in the highway could be viewed by some as minigame. Some will just take it as the same thing they do on real life highway change lane and go around slow pokes.

But god did I hate tes lockpicking. Doing same thing...over and over and over again was infuriating. But as someone pointed out DX:HR had a great minigame for hacking.

Its how its done that matters and how often its used. We haven't heard anything about that or seen enough to tell.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Raider480
x4

Post by Raider480 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:52

hisazul wrote:But god did I hate tes lockpicking. Doing same thing...over and over and over again was infuriating
Which TES lockpicking is that? :P Starting with TES5 they went with (modern) Fallout lockpicking, which is perhaps 5% better.
hisazul wrote:Changing lanes in the highway could be viewed by some as minigame
That's less of a self-contained thing though, more of a game mechanic imho.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:54

Raider480 wrote:
hisazul wrote:But god did I hate tes lockpicking. Doing same thing...over and over and over again was infuriating
Which TES lockpicking is that? :P Starting with TES5 they went with (modern) Fallout lockpicking, which is perhaps 5% better.
hisazul wrote:Changing lanes in the highway could be viewed by some as minigame
That's less of a self-contained thing though, more of a game mechanic imho.
Hence why I said some will see it as minigame regardless. And on tes subject anything after morrowind had infuriating lock picking.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 19:51

I think the mini game mechanics are designed to reward manual intervention in doing tasks yourself.

Randolf00123
x3tc

Post by Randolf00123 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 20:27

not a fan of them but only time will tell if this one will be ok or not.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 20:29

BigBANGtheory wrote:I think the mini game mechanics are designed to reward manual intervention in doing tasks yourself.
Going by steam achivements and a brief video segment we know you can take advantage of being human on highway to speed things up. :roll:

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 20:30

Oblivions lockpicking was infuriating. Constantly felt more like blind luck then skill. Thank god for the alteration 'Unlock' spells as well as the auto attempt button.

Never had a problem with the fallout/ Skyrim lockpicking system though. Vastly superior and not remotely annoying in my opinion.

Never really had a problem with oblivions speech mini-game either. Sure it didn't make an enormous amount of sense or require an enormous amount of skill, but it was harmless enough and was a very handy tool for controlling levelling up.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

certcz

Post by certcz » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 20:42

I only hate minigames when you can save before you start. It enables you to try as many times as you want even at very low skill level, leading to frustration after subsequent failure. :x

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”