Minigames, seriously?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

azmuth
xr

Post by azmuth » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 04:18

Qapla wrote:This is indeed worying, i usualy hate mini games inside a game.
One of the best space game ever independence war 2 edge of chaos.
the game was OUTSTANDING but late in the game they made some impossible mingames so i gave up with their game.
real sad and so once again worying..
You Sir are 100% correct and a Space Game Valordictorian ...LOL. IW2 was one of the best space games EVAH!! I still wish they would make a sequel. I would be on it in a heartbeat.
Last edited by azmuth on Fri, 15. Nov 13, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.

azmuth
xr

Post by azmuth » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 04:20

hisazul wrote:
Kevin2202 wrote:If you don't like it, don't play the mini games. it's simple. I am just glad this sort of option is even available for those who want to play mini games.
Horrid excuse is still horrid. Saying that is like saying... welp don't like doing same thing like a hamster in a wheel? then don't open 99.9% chests in skyrim! simple!
I was Logic once but then... I took an arrow to the knee.
Agreed. Also what if some of these mini-games are required to complete the action of whatever the mission calls for.

CutterJohn1
x3tc

Post by CutterJohn1 » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 04:25

azmuth wrote:
Qapla wrote:This is indeed worying, i usualy hate mini games inside a game.
One of the best space game ever independence war 2 edge of chaos.
the game was OUTSTANDING but late in the game they made some impossible mingames so i gave up with their game.
real sad and so once again worying..
You Sir are 100% correct and a Space Game Valordictorian ...LOL. IW2 was one of the best space games EVAH!! I still wish they would make a sequel. I would be on it in a heartbeat.
Yeah, the puzzle missions were a pretty bad decision on their part. No game has ever made space feel as cold and empty as that game did, though. If you LDSed out a billion km, you felt alone. Could have used a better map, though.

Imagine a game with the core gameplay/tech/world of iwar2, and the economy of x3/xr... /drool.

Challenge
x4

Post by Challenge » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 04:28

So, I guess exploring all that empty space to find the hidden ships, and all the missions from X, X2, and X3 were mini-games?
"I know you think you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you understand that what I said wasn't what I meant."

Unknown, brother of Anon.

qwid
x4

Post by qwid » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 05:27

Lets pray there are no QTE's coming for XRebirth 2

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:14

Oh look, another thread about "Wtf, there's something that's not for my very own playstyle ? It must be removed right away !". (Maybe such can be modded out, if you really must have that.)

Every noticed that XR - as all the X series - is created to appeal a larger player audience with different playstyles and tries to be as versatile as possible ? As such, there'll always be game content that's not perfect for you. In this case: I am certain that there's plenty of players who truly love minigames.

Seeing people to think that a game must be custom made for you seems odd, at best. Especially since none of those minigames were ever played and get judged by... a picture in the manual, I guess ?

Myself, I find it quite refreshing to see that XR tries to not be "one and the same sauce all the time" but instead tries to force the player to be versatile. Afterall, there's plenty of stupid game out there that cover the "do one thing until the game is done" already - and most of them are boring before you are done with the content.

So... let's see how things fare - in only 4h. And then, of course, plenty of hours further to actually see something from the game. :)

Burneyx
x4

Post by Burneyx » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:20

Well,
im not realy a friend of minigames. Most time, even if they are clever done after some time they only get more and more boring and disturbing......
I guess there is enough repetative we are forced to do in RL, no reason to have this again in a game.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:30

Mauzi! wrote:Oh look, another thread about "Wtf, there's something that's not for my very own playstyle ? It must be removed right away !".
Except the minigames are not optional . And they are very dumb.
Need to hack a ship system ? Minigame.
Need to open a station door ? Minigame.
Need to hire a crew ? Two minigames (!!!)

I thought Rebirth could not be worse after the one ship limitation. Boy, I was wrong. This is fully retardated.
Right on commander !

Kapakio
x4

Re: Minigames, seriously?

Post by Kapakio » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:44

Baleur wrote:Audiences that don't share your own individual opinion, perhaps?
Not everyone agrees with you, you know.
I don't have a problem with minigames as long as they have some contextual reason for being there (such as lockpicking, or hacking a door in Deus Ex).
I never understood how people think it is better GAMEPLAY to just have a dice roll decide Door_Unlocked=1 rather than actually moving the pick yourself by hand.
Minigames does not automatically = worse gameplay, in some cases they actually ADD gameplay, gameplay that makes more sense than a hidden dice roll.

The only minigames that i hate are the ones that have NOTHING to do with the rest of the game, for example "Oh hey Player1, please play this Bejeweled reskin to unlock the ship paintjob merchant!"
And this is precisely my concern. I generally like mini-games if they are well connected with the "real" game. But the conversation meter? How's that related with an actual conversation?

This kind of mini-games could really break the immersion.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:57

Hated the conversation minigame in Oblivion, and the minigames in ME1 and ME2 where are big pain, M3 was a huge relief.

zanetsu
x3tc

Post by zanetsu » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:14

I am a fan of well implemented mini games.

TGS
x3ap

Post by TGS » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:49

Maybe small talk is an annoying minigame because small talk itself is annoying? lol.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”