After reading these troll posts during work and finally getting to play...

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fravatar
x3ap

After reading these troll posts during work and finally getting to play...

Post by fravatar » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 06:46

I read this on the steam forum. He made some valid points that I agree with.

"Lyandar 13 minutes ago

After spending the day at work reading these posts with all the negative posts I was a little worried when I finally got home to play the game. Before I get into my review I have to say I only lightly touched some of the previous X series and found them clunky with steep learning curves. But with the reviews saying this one would be good for newcomers and old alike i figured id jump in to try and fill the need of a good space sim while waiting for Star Citizen.

So far I love the space controls, though i had to adjust some key bindings to something i'm more comfortable with (which is no big deal and done in most games I play), they are pretty good. My only complaint is the controls for moving through different lanes within a shipping lane could be a bit easier (I still need to see if there are bindings to setup to change these). That said, i love the shipping lanes and moving behind other ships, etc..that's pretty fun.

Playing through the campaign so far things are pretty straight forward and easy to understand. A few times I got lost and wish there was a "hint" button somewhere but managed to figure it out. I do believe the menu systems are a bit overly complex though and could be much more streamlined. Though in a programmers mind telling someone it's as easy as doing 5-5, its typically not the best way to explain something to a general gaming audience.

Through the forums I hear tons of complaints of crashing, bugs, etc..So far i've only had one crash. Only a few points of lag here and there but nothing that really stood out or gave me big headaches ( for anyone who cares I run windows 64-bit, 3.00ghz AMD Quad, 8 gigs memory, and an Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 card)

I have two major complaints..First the map..oh the map. This has always been a problem with Space Sims.. A map that is totally confusing, no zoom, and a total mess. If anything was changed in this game, a revamp of the map to make it easy to read, easy to set course, and over all newbie friendly it would make this game perfect.

the second complaint is smaller but one I really found annoying. The voice acting and character animation is pretty bad..but out of all of these there is two things that really bothered me the most.. First was the same unimaginative song playing in every single station. Using the program called ACID, you could probably come up with a more creative selection of futuristic techno with less then an hr of work.. The second was the voice for when opening a trade..for some reason the main characters voice really just irks me when it repeats the same thing over and over when trying to find vendors to sell your stuff.

With all this said and done. I am enjoying the game none the less and I have no regrets on spending the money on it. I am glad to help keep this genre alive and hope that as patches roll out they will fix some of these things"
[ external image ][ external image ]

"In the End, we're all the heroes of our own story." --Dylan Hunt

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 06:50

Egosoft has actually been ordering bleeding edge hardware specifically to tackle issues the game appears to have with super high end computers. Every past game saw Egosoft diligently patching their games not only for bug fixes and optimizations, but for new features as well. Assuming they haven't changed suddenly I think we can definitely expect Egosoft to make things right.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:02

Well to release the game in this state, kinda begs the question. Have they?

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:05

AkrionXxarr wrote:Egosoft has actually been ordering bleeding edge hardware specifically to tackle issues the game appears to have with super high end computers. Every past game saw Egosoft diligently patching their games not only for bug fixes and optimizations, but for new features as well. Assuming they haven't changed suddenly I think we can definitely expect Egosoft to make things right.

they should also order some normal computers because it runs bad pretty much on all PCs.

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:14

DaMuncha wrote:Well to release the game in this state, kinda begs the question. Have they?
They've released pretty much every game in this state (well actually worse but I digress).

Thing that I think is worth keeping in mind are other wildly popular games that released with their own swath of serious issues such as Skyrim and BF4 and compare those to the fact that Egosoft's development team and budget are a fraction of what those two games had (with a brand new engine to boot) despite matching the scale and complexity (though BF4s graphics obviously blow X:R out of the water, but they blow most games out of the water). They could have done so much worse, in any case.

Time will tell, of course. x3

mielgato

Post by mielgato » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:09

all they need is a little of support from the community, so to be patient and experience ourselves

someone pointed out a weird GPU usage going from 100 to 0 all the time, which may explain why some peoples (me included) experience fps shortage (would better like a Ecell shortage :( )

the guys quote here is having quite a regular computer, and run his game fine, now all we(most likely they) need to find is what factor causing this issue

monsto

Re: After reading these troll posts during work and finally getting to play...

Post by monsto » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:27

fravatar wrote:the voice for when opening a trade..for some reason the main characters voice really just irks me when it repeats the same thing over and over when trying to find vendors to sell your stuff.
I am swooorn to carry your burdens.

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:53

Yep - the game is running smooth on my system, and I am really enjoying myself.

My system is not very special - an i5-3570, GTX 660, 8Gb memory, on-board AC97 sound card and Windows 7 - 64bit. As said - mediocre. Still I do not seem to have that low frame rates other people seem to have. Sometimes I have a very small "stutter" -most times inside a station- but that last only a fraction of a second.

I agree the map could use some better lay-out. Maybe some more contrast or colouration between items? At the other hand - it's not that hard do use it to find my way around.

Indeed there could be more variation in voice acting. I understood the voices where one of the last things added. Some languages are not fully complete, so I guess at this moment there is only a bare minimum. It would not surprise me if more lines would be added later on (or the modders here must be faster).

All in all I received this game as very enjoyable. I really am baffled about the outcry that is going on in some places. It feels like these people are playing an completely other game. Maybe I am just lucky?

Configuring my joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D pro) was a bit trial-and-error at first, but it was not that hard to figure it out. The only slight problem is that the joystick has a bit large dead zone. There seems to be no way to adjust that. Maybe a 3th party application? I am going to Google around a bit. The only thing I do not use is the speed lever, but that's because I am used to using the keyboard for that - the same setup I use in the older X series.

I did some re-arranging of the key bindings, to fit everything better to my personal preferences. Nothing special, and easy enough.

I even tried the Xbox controller (although it am not really an lover of that device). I was surprised that it felled really natural to use. I have seen that far worse in other games. The controller also had a rather large dead zone, so this dead zone is not tied to a specific device.

One thing that could be improved is the movement in stations. Sometimes it's just too fast. It wold be nice is it was possible to switch between walking and running. Maybe that's possible already, but I have overseen that key? Also - while it's possible to set x-y sensitivity outside the stations, it seems to be always maxed out inside the stations.

Al in all just some little things, but nothing that is a game breaker in any way for me.

C3453R
xr

Post by C3453R » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 09:22

JClosed wrote:Yep - the game is running smooth on my system, and I am really enjoying myself.

My system is not very special - an i5-3570, GTX 660, 8Gb memory, on-board AC97 sound card and Windows 7 - 64bit. As said - mediocre. Still I do not seem to have that low frame rates other people seem to have. Sometimes I have a very small "stutter" -most times inside a station- but that last only a fraction of a second.

I agree the map could use some better lay-out. Maybe some more contrast or colouration between items? At the other hand - it's not that hard do use it to find my way around.

Indeed there could be more variation in voice acting. I understood the voices where one of the last things added. Some languages are not fully complete, so I guess at this moment there is only a bare minimum. It would not surprise me if more lines would be added later on (or the modders here must be faster).

All in all I received this game as very enjoyable. I really am baffled about the outcry that is going on in some places. It feels like these people are playing an completely other game. Maybe I am just lucky?

Configuring my joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D pro) was a bit trial-and-error at first, but it was not that hard to figure it out. The only slight problem is that the joystick has a bit large dead zone. There seems to be no way to adjust that. Maybe a 3th party application? I am going to Google around a bit. The only thing I do not use is the speed lever, but that's because I am used to using the keyboard for that - the same setup I use in the older X series.

I did some re-arranging of the key bindings, to fit everything better to my personal preferences. Nothing special, and easy enough.

I even tried the Xbox controller (although it am not really an lover of that device). I was surprised that it felled really natural to use. I have seen that far worse in other games. The controller also had a rather large dead zone, so this dead zone is not tied to a specific device.

One thing that could be improved is the movement in stations. Sometimes it's just too fast. It wold be nice is it was possible to switch between walking and running. Maybe that's possible already, but I have overseen that key? Also - while it's possible to set x-y sensitivity outside the stations, it seems to be always maxed out inside the stations.

Al in all just some little things, but nothing that is a game breaker in any way for me.
The game IS very enjoyable and has great design in my opinion. Sure, its technically flawed, but I expected as much and expect it to be addressed in due time. There are lots of flamers, trolls and haters out there who have nothing better to do than yell "i hate this game" without any constructive reason as to why.

Some of the sticking points are the crashes, performance issues and generally low quality animations, character visuals and voice acting, but I can ignore the last three while waiting for the first two to be addressed. Get me my FPS and get rid of the crashes, and I will sail in happiness.

The_Mess
x3tc

Post by The_Mess » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 09:33

AkrionXxarr wrote:
DaMuncha wrote:Well to release the game in this state, kinda begs the question. Have they?
They've released pretty much every game in this state (well actually worse but I digress).
For those who didn't have the experience of playing X2 or X3 at launch...

X2 - crash, crash and more crash for 4 months with large-ish patches along with the usual mission script issues. By the 6 month mark ran like a greased whippet provided you had the hardware.

X3 - crashed at the drop of a pin for most users, massive frame rate drops during plot a certain plot mission that made it unplayable + a whole range of performance issues (dat last plot mission). Mostly sorted in the first month of patches, but again took months to fix the bug list, and had serious performance drops due to factory complexes.

So far, from scanning the forums ('Mess needs a new computer to play this), Rebirth is pretty much business as usual and could have done with more dev time + early access. But then again, egosoft have Deep Silver as their main publisher, who art known to be not so good with 3rd party developers.

Particularly bad though is the lack of joystick support despite the vocal section of joystick users...

Dr2i

Post by Dr2i » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 09:35

From the negative posts I read on this forum I don't understand all the complaining.

My game runs very well. Only crashed once in 7 hours which, compared to rome 2 for exemple, makes this game well executed. Only problem is some unexplained stuttering from time to time.

I want to point out that my cpu has never EVER been so silent during a game with high settings. Either this is an indicator of a good cpu use or I don't know much about optimization.

I love the design choices. The skunk really helps in immersion. The scan modes are interesting (love the long range scan). I manage to play with a joystick + mouse+keybored very easy (just needed to correctly map the keys for like 30 min at first). The highways are interesting, stations seem lively.

There are still some things I don't understand, but I don't expect to learn such a complex game in 7hours. After X3, I wouldn't be stunned if it takes me a few days.

Only part that bothers me is the trading, which seem to have slowed down a lot. BUT I'm still at the start of the campaigne, so it might be because Yisha hasn't taught me all about trading yet.

Anyway, thank you egosoft for this product. This is the first game I buy in 10 years and for 50 euros I was happy to give you my money.
It's a perfect German Quality!

PS: I did disable v-sync which slowed the game. Got an I5 and a radeon 5850 with 8GB ram
I'm naturally unfriendly sometimes. Don't take what I say too badly.

monsto

Post by monsto » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 05:06

I'm with you, man. I have 11 hrs and 1 crash which came after a couple of known bugs reared their ugly heads 1 after the other.

Other than that, my only gripes are technical . . .

Like. . . popping-in geometry when entering a new area. You know what? I'd much rather see 2 secs of black with a fade in to a COMPLETED scene, than immediate display of an incompleted scene.

Rothsper

Post by Rothsper » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 05:14

yes there were bugs but I was having a great time until I needed to start controlling / interacting with my own capital ships.

Can't get them to stop following me, and every time I reload and start over I get different bugs. Atm I can't assign a Captain to ship captured in the first boarding action mission - its just greyed out. Yet earlier I was able to do this no problem but ended up losing all my ships dragging them around behind me....

So now I am keen for the first patch, hopefully fixing AI / ship commands so I can get back into it. Happy to wait for the other fixes but ship control is game breaking for me at present.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”