Coming from X: Rebirth, any required mods for X3 to get into?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CliveHowlitzer

Coming from X: Rebirth, any required mods for X3 to get into?

Post by CliveHowlitzer » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 09:08

Hey
I had never played an X game before and I was super pumped about playing X:Rebirth when it came out. However, it failed my expectations in about every way imaginable. Now I've been thinking about just saying screw it with that game and trying X3 since it sounds like it has everything I wanted from XR.
I know the game has been out for awhile, and has a lot of mod support. Are there any recommendations regarding someone getting into it as required mods to improve my experience?
Thanks in advance for any answers.
What can change the nature of a man?

Timsup2nothin

Re: Coming from X: Rebirth, any required mods for X3 to get into?

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 09:21

CliveHowlitzer wrote:Hey
I had never played an X game before and I was super pumped about playing X:Rebirth when it came out. However, it failed my expectations in about every way imaginable. Now I've been thinking about just saying screw it with that game and trying X3 since it sounds like it has everything I wanted from XR.
I know the game has been out for awhile, and has a lot of mod support. Are there any recommendations regarding someone getting into it as required mods to improve my experience?
Thanks in advance for any answers.
The bonus pack (pinned at top of forum) contains a group of scripts and such that are so close to universally used that they are generally not counted as mods...meaning if you ask a question about playing the unmodded game most people who answer will assume you have the bonus pack. In short, get that.

Other than that...the learning curve is steep enough without mods, and help is much more readily available for unmodded games. I have (frighteningly enough) thousands of hours in Terran Conflict and haven't seen any need for mods myself. My advice is play vanilla at least until you have really gotten command of the basics.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

wydavies
x4

Post by wydavies » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 13:32

The mods in the bonus pack help automate tasks with station management and save a lot of hassle.

It is a hell of a steep learning curve as the previous poster mentioned. I've found Rogueys website helps a lot (roguey.co.uk). He has subsites for each X game, with explanations of what all the bits are and even explains what the bewildering array of weapons do.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”