Beginners Guide to Profitably Evolving Trade Loops

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

twilight_echoes
x3tc

Beginners Guide to Profitably Evolving Trade Loops

Post by twilight_echoes » Mon, 15. Mar 04, 11:07

Thanks heaps everyone for the feedback on the advanced guide.

This intro is aimed as helping people with a couple of million credits to invest make big returns, whilst planning towards and economy which eventually makes the best possible ones. Without relying totally on finding the perfect sector in which to place a SPP.

Most everyone, me included starts off by placing a lone SPP somewhere. The beginning of an empire!!

The next logical thing to do is plan where to build then next one and repeat the process but there is a limit to how many times that can be done before demand falls off or the supply of crystals dries up. And crystals are usually the problem.

So you build a crystal fab, and then most likely find that it has problems getting enough food. So time for a Cahoona Bakery!!

Now you have the beginning of a trade loop - which takes advantage of the AI as a cheap source of energy, argnu beef and silicon, and a crystal fab to keep your SPP stocked up. Fantastic!!

All 3 factories are making good credits and you are better off than you were before.

Looking at the local trading dock, you notice that it might be a good idea to produce Mosquito Missile, so after some digging around you set one up.

Again it requires energy, ore and food. The local market doesnt produce enough food so you're faced with another Cahoona Bakery.

All this construction is starting to put a drain on the AI power plants and Cattle Ranches - so its harder to get goods at the right price. You could increase the number of jumps on your factories; but thats risky because not all those sectors are safe; and its going to take a long time to bring food and power in from afar.

Is there a way that you can supply your missile factory and your solar powerplant at no cost, in sector so that both of them make the most money they can?

The answer is Yes!!

By filling in the "gaps" in your existing setup with a Cattle Ranch, Cahoona Bakery, another SPP which trades just to you and another crystal fab and a silicon mine - you can pretty much take care of all your needs.

Wow thats a lot of factorys to shell out for.

Sure but it makes your existing factories earn more; and its a heck of a lot cheaper than moving away a sector and shelling out on a new Centuar to defend the freighters. Thats 10M straight away - and a single lost freighter can grind a factory to a halt especially after a hard night of leaving the computer on and hoping you can afford something new the next morning :P

And you dont have to build them all at once - you can put them down 1 by one - in fact its better that way because they all need to stock up a little before they contribute back.

You still rely on other factories for Cattle, and a bit of silicon and ore - but thats ok. All three are generally available quite cheaply, and easy enough to hunt down for yourself if the need arises.

Best of Luck, and if you want some examples of specific loops, and the real long term advantages of them check out the advanced guide at

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34805

stella
x2

Post by stella » Mon, 15. Mar 04, 12:10

Watch out for the race of crystal fab you build - only Argon needs Cahoonas.

I built a crystal fab in rourks drift, but was short sighted enough to think that I'd use an Argon fab (cos they were cheaper). Result? *always* running out of cahoonas. If I'd used a Boron fab, I'd be laughing.

twilight_echoes
x3tc

Post by twilight_echoes » Mon, 15. Mar 04, 12:19

actually, you may have done yourself an enormous favour. heres how to make a good!!

Step 1 - Build a cattle ranch and allow it to trade openly until it fills up with Argnu Beef, setting it to only trade with you. Lower the sell price to 70 (youll need to put some cash in to get it to fill up)

Step 2 Build a Cahoona Bakery in the same sector, set the energy price to 14, set jumps=0 and buy price for Argnu at 70, and the sell price for Cahoonas at 1 less than it is when the factory is built.

You now have a guaranteed food source for your bakery, and because you have built out of sector; you have no risk that your crystal fab will accidentally buy food from the boron!

This - is a partial loop supplying most of what you need to make your crystal fab work, and your problem is a perfect example of why looping can make so much sense!!!

and by the way you're right - I was just using cahoonas as an example.

kinein
x2

Post by kinein » Tue, 8. Jun 04, 16:14

I shall assist thee in enlightening others like myself that need this info :)
X-Treme ^_^

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Tue, 8. Jun 04, 18:41

Personally i prefer starting with a Crystal Fab then an SPP.

Basically it allows me name my own price for energy :)

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Tue, 8. Jun 04, 19:18

I like to save up enough to dump the whole loops in the sector at once (well not really at once I only have 2 TLs so it wil take one of them at least 2 trips) and grab a bunch of crystals in to the SPP cuase then everything will start to run
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

http://www.tildruin-mindseye.co.uk/innocent.html

Gibbonfiend
x2

Post by Gibbonfiend » Fri, 29. Oct 04, 12:27

I heard a mention of a Boron crystal fab. Yesterday I tried to build one in KE but the shipyard didn't have any crystal fabs. Had the station run out of crystal fabs? I bought an argon one (as KE is near argon sectors) and it seems to be doing fine but would have been better to have a boron one.

grays
x3tc

Post by grays » Fri, 29. Oct 04, 12:32

Shipyards of the same race do not stock all type of station. For example its usually one out of three of a races shipyard that will sell crystal fabs.

Search the other Boron capital sectors to find the ones that do. This is why most people start of locally with Argon Crystal fabs as Argon Prime sells them.

Mortico
x2

Post by Mortico » Fri, 29. Oct 04, 13:37

Gibbonfiend wrote:I heard a mention of a Boron crystal fab. Yesterday I tried to build one in KE but the shipyard didn't have any crystal fabs. Had the station run out of crystal fabs? I bought an argon one (as KE is near argon sectors) and it seems to be doing fine but would have been better to have a boron one.
Spoiler
Show
The Boron Crystal Fab can be obtained in Lucky Planets

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”